SAU Community

R32 headlight ( used search )

G’day 

High beams comes on with stalk moved forward to permanently on but won’t work on flash ( inward stalk spring movement ).

does anyone know what it could be ? I have tried cleaning the stalk, is there a separate relay for this, perhaps fuse ? 

Also are low beams supposed to go off when stalk is in forward position for highs to stay on ? 

Yes, with the original factory wiring, when the Hi comes on the Low goes off.

And yes, the flash function (stalk back) uses the brown relay in the engine bay (can't remember off the top of my head if it has a different fuse, but I don't think so).  The hi on function (stalk forward) just uses the switch and no relay is involved

Appreciate it man, I think most probably that brown relay is blown in my case will check anyhow. I just remember it making continued weird noises when I first started working on but did care at that time. 

quick question- 

Does the low beam go of with the flash function (stalk back) aswell  ?

Just curious before work on her again.

thanks 

sorry, I should add....yes the relay is an easy test/fix because you can just steal one form anywhere else, swap in and flick the headlights.

but also be aware it is getting pretty common for these switches to fail, the full current runs through the switch and they have 30 years of use on them. They are available brand new from nissan

• Thanks 1

It’s all in the wiring from factory. They were designed to dip the low beams off with high beams on. Just bridge some wires under the steering wheel and off you go. 
Best to replace the headlight switch and add 2 relays to divert the current away from the contacts in the switch and directly to the headlights (hard wired to battery and use the original headlight positive wire as the relay trigger) much better light as they will get a full 12-14 volts and and less stress on the switch contacts as there is no massive current draw

A4624000-6A81-4AFC-85C1-6F21B75FE360.png

B37680E8-4D31-42EC-99FA-6C223A62BBAD.jpeg

2B725DD6-6D84-4F1E-85DA-3ED39BBB5A08.jpeg

@Adam91Thanks man, that’s exactly what I was thinking of doing for the low beams, Also have you bridged it to have them both on same time ?

Anyhow just discovered another problem regarding which I started the thread, 

So what is the neutral position for the high beams on the stalk ?

I think mine is bit noodled up, central position turns high beam on front turns off and have no flash on complete inward spring position. Can someone confirm what positions is turn on off on theirs please. 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, Rb25orange said:

I think mine is bit noodled up, central position turns high beam on front turns off and have no flash on complete inward spring position. Can someone confirm what positions is turn on off on theirs please. 

Central is high beams off

Forward towards front of car is high beams on (stays locked forward)

Rearward towards driver is to flash (doesnt stay locked in)

On 21/07/2021 at 9:52 PM, Rb25orange said:

@Adam91Thanks man, that’s exactly what I was thinking of doing for the low beams, Also have you bridged it to have them both on same time ?

Anyhow just discovered another problem regarding which I started the thread, 

Yes the first pic shows which wires to bridge to make high beams come on with the low beams without dropping the lows out (just like normal cars). Would recommend bridging the wires at the back of the plug (under the steering wheel) with heat shrink rather than the paper clip trick shown in the picture I provided

• Thanks 1