SAU Community

95 R33 GTR - Can't remove HKB Hub

Recently purchased a 95 R33 GTR Vspec. New to this forum, but quite excited. The horn is not connected, so I was trying to fix that (countless posts on this forum about this), however I cannot seem to remove the hub.  When I pulled everything off and took a look, I feel like this was installed wrong and in the worst way.  Looking for some assistance. Thanks in advance!

20210721_193455.jpg

20210721_193447.jpg

On 7/22/2021 at 6:59 AM, Ben C34 said:

Or beat it off. If I wasnt in lockdown I could help you beat it off.

This... is amazing haha.  I greatly appreciate the "beat off" assistance.  Might be a long flight to the states.  I put the steering wheel on and beat that bad boy with a rubber mallet from behind, but still no luck. I guess I just need to hit it more often and harder :(.  Was hoping some sort of magic trick or pulley puller trick to help get it off.  Thanks!

Any local parts store will have a steering wheel specific or 3 arm puller.  You may need to buy some longer metric bolts depending on what you have to screw it into on the boss kit.

ToolPRO Harmonic Balancer Puller Kit 13 Piece, , scaau_hi-res

Are you trying to replace the steering wheel or get the horn working? If only the latter you can just add a momentary switch somewhere to connect the 2 horn wires to the steering wheel. It also looks like you've lost your HICAS steering wheel angle sensor but perhaps HICAS is disonnected

On 7/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, Shoota_77 said:

Any local parts store will have a steering wheel specific or 3 arm puller.  You may need to buy some longer metric bolts depending on what you have to screw it into on the boss kit.

ToolPRO Harmonic Balancer Puller Kit 13 Piece, , scaau_hi-res

Roger that! I'll look into that. I knew there were pulley pullers and I didn't think about steering wheel pullers.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:46 PM, Duncan said:

Are you trying to replace the steering wheel or get the horn working? If only the latter you can just add a momentary switch somewhere to connect the 2 horn wires to the steering wheel. It also looks like you've lost your HICAS steering wheel angle sensor but perhaps HICAS is disonnected

My primary objective is the horn, however when I removed the steering wheel, the install looked wrong/broken. I may have to default to a momentary switch somewhere, but I also wasn't sure where the horn wire was. I only have the white plug coming out and I thought that was the airbag. Too many videos and posts that make it a bit confusing on which wire/plug is the horn wire.

Not sure about the HICAS. I only acquired this car a little over a week ago. Seeing the yellow part with the arrow pointing in the NW direction seemed wrong.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:42 AM, BakemonoRicer said:

You shouldn't need to use a steering wheel puller.

You only need to undo the middle nut & it should slide off.

Also, it looks like its been installed incorrectly.

Nut removed easily... steering wheel doesn't move. Hit the mother trucker hard many many times and didn't budge.  The install looked wrong to me as well, but wasn't certain and was hoping for that kind of feedback which I greatly appreciate.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:50 PM, BakemonoRicer said:

Thanks! My only challenge is that I only have the airbag wire coming out of the steering hub area and don't see the horn wire as shown in that post and I'm not sure why. I'll spend some time next week trying to pull the wheel off again and see if I can use a puller.