SAU Community

Stage 1 Cobb with mid pipe vs custom tune

Hi, not sure how many R35 owners on here

I have an '08 with mid pipe upgrade only and I’m considering considering either:
1. Cobb off the shelf tune with TCM tune also (probably stage 1)
2. Custom ecutek tune and not sure whether to get TCM tune only

The tuning and cobb resellers I speak to  are divided on the TCM tune, some say it will shorten the life of the transmission and another said it is actually good for the transmission as with the TCM tune it doesn't drop to 6th and shift through the gears so much.

Anyone with real world experience?

The Cobb stage 1 tune doesn't seem that much of an improvement (custom tunes seem to pick up a lot more?).
It also seems the stage 2 cobb picks up a lot more lower end power/torque (<4500rpm). I don't want to do injectors or intake so stage 2 is probably not an option. 

I want to get the most from this, but still maintaining good reliability (especially the gearbox), and just wondering if the cobb or custom is the way to go.

thanks

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 10:36 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Cobb can be custom tuned. The ecutek I've come across in the past on other platforms have been not that great and removed to reflash factory ecu with better results. 

This is not quite accurate, we are tuners of both and the ECUTEK offers more flexibility, i think your confusion may have come from the fact there was a few places doing OTS tunes like cobb and TBH i have never seen an OTS tune on any platform that is any good.

Custom tuning or nothing in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...