SAU Community

Single vs twin turbo.

7163 on a SR20 was absolutely awesome unit.
I had a 7670 on a RB28 and it was also a really awesome unit.

Twins can be suitable for some packaging reasons. In a RB it makes no sense as packaging wise, Nissan just... put... two turbos in the space of one, and two manifolds in the space of one, as one big twin scrolling exercise for group A reasons and also because it was 1989.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:31 PM, Fizurg said:

I could be wrong with the turbo number but the tuner did mention going down to a 7xxx turbo which would beat -7 twins in every way. But he said it’s always better to go one size up as most people end up wishing they had. 

The thing I'm hoping to collect data on some day is whether the HKS GT3-SS turbos are actually capable of doing this, secondary to that is whether it's even remotely in the same ballpark as a comparable power single for response:

image.thumb.png.8b128033e78081f5cacd21dca797a8f3.png

To add more comedically priced turbo kits to the mix, Nismo just announced a new R3 turbo kit to replace the R1 turbo kit: https://www.nismo.co.jp/products/nismo_parts/NEW_PARTS/index_2021.html

1188453103_ScreenShot2021-08-18at10_03_47PM.thumb.png.2f24cfdcfd2d61811f37806786a0d7dc.png

Searching around this exact turbo has been available for a while though. No idea what's going on here and what this turbo really is.

Edited by joshuaho96

On 8/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Probs Nismo sticker over the Kinugawa logo

I honestly can't tell if they just rebadged a slightly different part number for "R34 N1" turbos now that they ran out of existing stock. Poking around the internet I've seen that exact spec claimed for R34 N1 turbos, both the C106 compressor wheel and 0.6 compressor a/r. Supposedly AA403 was the -7/R1 spec, AA401/402 line up with this R3 turbo spec.

Kelford L182-A for the most street option.

Kelford L182-B for a less street (will be a bit lopey) street option

Neither of those require lifter bore clearancing work.

Kelford 182-B for the best street option.

Kelford 182-C for the less street best street option.

But both of the above will require lifter bore clearancing.

Lift is better than duration for a street car. The bore clearancing is worth it. But of course, the head has to come apart.

On 25/08/2021 at 7:53 PM, GTSBoy said:

Kelford L182-A for the most street option.

Kelford L182-B for a less street (will be a bit lopey) street option

Neither of those require lifter bore clearancing work.

Kelford 182-B for the best street option.

Kelford 182-C for the less street best street option.

But both of the above will require lifter bore clearancing.

Lift is better than duration for a street car. The bore clearancing is worth it. But of course, the head has to come apart.

The head will be rebuilt so if there's work like that then it should be easy enough to get it done. i forgot to mention in my last post that driveabilty a street manners including fuel economy will be more important than absolute performance and things like wanting a lumpy idle. 

On 26/08/2021 at 7:02 AM, joshuaho96 said:

If street manners are a concern I would look into HKS VCAM as well. Has Kelford figured out how to make VCAM-compatible camshafts?

VCAM looks amazing but I think it might be out of budget sadly. 

On 8/25/2021 at 9:57 PM, Robzilla32 said:

Fuel economy?

Is it weird to want to extract more efficiency out of these engines? I have a VCAM sitting in the garage. At some point I'm hoping to do a flex fuel conversion as well to be able to push out the envelope of lambda and ignition timing. I'd love to try something crazy like water injection but it doesn't seem practical or reliable from what I've seen.

It is fun for tuner types like myself (and clearly Josh) to get the car running as "optimally as possible". I've spent many fun hours making the car run a little leaner/smoother cruising along at 100kmh in 6th.

None of this makes any sense, see you all in iRacing 😛

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:41 PM, Fizurg said:

The guy that's going to tune the car has recommended Tomei poncams type B. i know these arent a forum favorite but will probably go for them since thats what the tuner is comfortable with. 

Whatever you do, do not get Tomei USA parts. I know a guy who thought Tomei Japan and Tomei USA are the same thing. His Tomei USA cams literally did not fit in the engine. A lot of people have reported defective out of the box Tomei USA head gaskets. Tomei Japan has issued a statement out there that says explicitly that they have no control over Tomei USA and cannot be held responsible for any failures that result from their parts. Supposedly the US part numbers are actually all coming from Real Speed Engineering. I don't know what the relationship between Tomei USA and RSE is but RSE is tainted by association IMO.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, Fizurg said:

The guy that's going to tune the car has recommended Tomei poncams type B. i know these arent a forum favorite but will probably go for them since thats what the tuner is comfortable with. 

The tuners doesnt need to be comfortable with the cams. Whatever that means.

• Like 1