SAU Community

2005 350 gt (auto) idle speed?

hi all

i’m a new owner of a 2005 350gt (premium) auto (78k on the clock). once warmed up it idles at 1100 (approx, i’ve not hooked a laptop up to it) in neutral and 900 in drive. feels a bit fast but i’ve no idea.

is this in the right range?

car is totally stock. 

appreciate any thoughts.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:14 PM, GTSBoy said:

~600 - 650 in drive. Maybe 700 at a pinch.

Look for vacuum leaks, or for your idle/throttle to be dirty/sticky and staying a little too far open.

ok thanks. so definitely idling too fast. i’ll check the throttle. 

If you can't find any faults, there is an idle air volume re-learn process which can be done without the nissan diag tool, using the pedal dance method..

On 8/14/2021 at 10:18 PM, sonicii said:

If you can't find any faults, there is an idle air volume re-learn process which can be done without the nissan diag tool, using the pedal dance method..

pedal dance method. is there a thread (other) where i can read about this? 

On 8/14/2021 at 10:18 PM, sonicii said:

Edited by KPL_BassMan
double up

On 8/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, sonicii said:

do you mean Throttle body position reset? 

Throttle closed position learn is the easy step, it just requires the ignition on/off, the idle air volume learn is the painful one.

there should be a lot of sources online, this is just one I found with a google search - https://h-dev.co.uk/350z-reset-proceedure-pedal-dance/

the timing is critical, some people have even used a stop watch, especially the '7 seconds' part.

If you are successful, you should see the idle speed rise above spec, drop below spec and then settle at the correct idle speed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

thought i’d just square this circle. so i didn’t get to much further investigation of the idle issue but in the meantime had a failed battery. the car sat for a few days without any charge (covid logistics). when the new battery went in as if by magic the idle is now right smack where it should be. issue resolved. 

• Like 1