SAU Community

Hi

ru1s

Hi everybody,

Long time stalker on this forum, 1st time posting.

found lots of helpful info here over the last several years,

thought it was about time I signed up to the forums.

I have a MY 1995 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T I bought back in 2005,
as I was on "P" plates back then and at the time it was the only (barely) legal power to weight turbo'd skyline i could drive at the time,
and it was love at the moment I sat in the drivers seat.

I'd not had many cars in my history,
a Blue Engine VC Commadore (I was given in payment for a custom PC I built as a freelance computer Tech.)
a cleveland 302 v8 ford fairmont XD (swapped for a executive high backed leather office chair)
a nissan pulsar 1.8L reebok sport (the first car I bought personally and traded in for the skyline)
the Skyline
and more recently (another Jap Import) Toyota Landdcruiser Prado 1kz 3.0L Turbo Diesel (Family Wagon)

But the skyline holds that special place in my heart when i get in, turn the key, and the smile appears on my face.

i hope that's a good enough introduction...

• Like 1

Welcome!

I had a bright yellow, blue engined VC. I have great memories of that car! Rare as hens teeth these days.

Ha, I love the swaps you've made! 

What model was the pulsar? I had 3 N13's back in the day, one with a CA18DET swap.

the pulsar was a white 1990 n13 1.8L reebok sport manual 5dr hatch that i bought 2nd hand for i think $3000 back in 2004,
owned by a woman who's husband had done some light modifications to it and had run some circuit days in it,
the car was very clean and straight, incredibly zippy off the line, and topped out at 180km/h at the top end of 5th, which i thought was amazing for a little 1.8L N/A.

that car was one of my favorite, just bang for buck, economical, and reliable. Power to weight was awesome.

was sad when i traded it in, for about 0.5 secs .... because the new love of my life had just opened it's door,
turned the ignition on the r33 gts25t , i was sold on the nissan brand from that moment.

oh and i bought the r33 with 52,000 km's on the clock for $18,000 back in 2005, 
i heard from import trader house that i bought the 33 from a few weeks later, the owner had given my pulsar to his son as a pizza delivery car / runabout ( i had used it for that same at one point )

but the son had ignored basic maintenance and had cracked a water hose and cooked the engine. ( don't ask me how i had traded it in and all the rubbers were in good nick, unless thats just the story the kid told his dad idk, )

but long story short bye bye reebok :sad:

fast forward to now,

the 33 has been a daily driver / work vehicle, and done some interstate trips and now has 240,000 kms on the clock and still going strong.

religious oil changes every 5,000 kms,

water pump change at 110,000 kms

cracked the fibreglass aftermarket front bar ( roadworks with a large drop from fresh tarmac to gravel base ) patched up with fibreglass repair kit, 2 weeks later g/f at the time cracked it again parking the car on concrete sleeper at bunnings car park one day .... veilside frontbar, after about 2 years of that was sick of being so low and projected at the front, got an OEM replacement front plastic bar and was much better.

clutch plate and cover change at about 180,000 kms, did brake pads at about the same time

radiator hose change at 185,000 kms (due to clutch change lowering the block and stretching old rubber hose is my guess) replaced the radiator core at the same time (cracked plastic inlet pipe , had gone brittle anyway)

changed the inline fuel filter around this time to a hi-flow, but after about 5,000kms got sick of the constant whirring of the stock pump trying to keep pressure up and with no noticeable gain and only wear as a result , fitted a OEM filter back in.

another water pump change at 200,000 kms

around 215,000 kms had a rubber fuel line (between inline filter and rail) spring a leak as i was going into a freeway tunnel ( that was an interesting moment) on my way to a job interview.

but at 240,000 and with what i can only only assume is 25 year old hoses and rubbers it's time for a massive birthday overhaul of all the hoses / rubbers / seals / facelift.

thinking it's about time to start modding (lightly) so perhaps a full set of braided steel lines / silicone hoses / fresh rubber door seals etc etc before going down the tuning rabbit hole / money pit ...

so yeah thats where i'm at, still love the 33, still puts a smile on my face every time i drive it.

any thoughts or advice would be greatly apricated.

cheers

:530_checkered_flag: 

• 1 month later...

hey,
just a quicky,

i've posted a few times in the vic section of memberships, but no response, i paid for membership back in august, now i understand with the whole vic covid thing things may be moving slower than normal , but i had expected at least some confirmation of payment by now ....
anyway to get _something_ to confirm ?

i'm looking at rego after having had my 33 gts25t off road after a few years and was considering going club plates as i FIFO for work and am only home ~6 months of the year, but due to the time restrictions on SAU with 3 months membership requirement it's looking like i will at least have to get a 6 month rego unless SAU will backdate to the date i paid the fees as opposed to confirmation, also i'd just like to know that my money hasn't gone to a dead fund. ( i mean it's not like owning a skyline is expensive enough ) just i'd rather put that towards useful purposes i.e. new hoses / fluids / upgrades / other restoration parts .

any updates would be apricated,

Thanks

oh and after pulling a few minor dings, and full respray, roadworthy came back with the massive list of ;-

• passenger side sill (underside) damage
  • rear steering excessive movement ( new tie rods rear inner and outer )
  • rear spoiler led stop lamp not working

i figure as i have the high rear window stop lamp and the 2 main rear hotplate stop lamps the spoiler led shouldn't be defactable.

as far as the other 2 items go $950 at a workshop and the roadworthy is happy.

registration tomorrow .... 

Registered, and back on the road again, 😁

so good to be driving her again.

now the fun begins,

sent Racepace an email.

I want to get a baseline as how far she has fallen from factory in the last 26 years before we start discussing how much power we can give her.

i mean i could do calculations all day power to weight and tyre contact patch ratio's and all that jazz

but no point getting hopes up on a bazillion hp beast if the engine isn't going to handle it, right?

after all, the only things i know that have been done to it is exhaust and speed limiter removed / bypassed.

so i guess i'll wait to get a tune before we start looking at upgrades.