SAU Community

Mechanical Keyboards

niZmO_Man

I'm sure there are a few in here who are fans of the clack.

I personally have run Cherry MX Brown equipped keyboards from various brands. Apart from Steelseries M800 (which I spilt juice on a couple of times before it died). Currently rocking a CM MK730 (TKL), planning on lubing the scratch MX Brown switches.

Since lockdown is in place, gee'd myself up for a GMMK full size base with some 'Boba U4' silent tactile switches "for the missus". Waiting for the base and key caps to arrive.

• Confused 1

On 8/25/2021 at 11:22 PM, niZmO_Man said:

I'm sure there are a few in here who are fans of the clack.

I personally have run Cherry MX Brown equipped keyboards from various brands. Apart from Steelseries M800 (which I spilt juice on a couple of times before it died). Currently rocking a CM MK730 (TKL), planning on lubing the scratch MX Brown switches.

Since lockdown is in place, gee'd myself up for a GMMK full size base with some 'Boba U4' silent tactile switches "for the missus". Waiting for the base and key caps to arrive.

I have one but I've never been super into the whole custom keyboard thing, my tastes are probably too basic to bother with anything complicated. MX Browns are kind of scratchy but they're fine.

I was keen on trying to lube the MX Brown switches, but then I'd have to de-solder my keyboard. Which is how I ended up down the hot-swap rabbit hole haha.

At least I'll have another keyboard to use while I de-construct my current one.

I bought a new keyboard last year and wanted backlighting/RBG with a nice wrist rest... rules out 90% of keyboards.

Got a Corsair K60 Pro SE, with hybrid switches. The switches are good, actuation is a little bit high for my liking. Would have been good to get some audio/volume control otherwise for the money im happy with it.

I got into this during the most recent lockdown.....  this is not a cheap hobby!  i ended up going full custom,

Tofu65 case with a foam insert and the brass weight

DZ65 hot swap PCB with the RGB 

Brass plate with foam between the plate and PCB

Boba u4t switches which i pulled apart and lubed the side of the stems and donut dipped the springs (its a tactile switch like an MX brown, but is much more pronounced in the bump, and also has a lot less wobble and have a really nice sound to them)

i have temporary keycap set on the moment (AKKO Macaw) while i wait for my GMK striker 2 keycaps to arrive next year (the wait on keycaps is crazy!!!)

Very nice.

Just finished the GMMK. The Boba U4 doesn't have much pre-actuation travel, basically none haha. Different feel to the MX Brown, but that's the beauty of modified switches.

Edited by niZmO_Man
edited sentence to make more sense

I've been a fan of heavy tactile (Like the old IBM buckling spring ones), but they can get tiring, so MX Brown is a good compromise. But would like to try out some other switches. MX Red is pretty good for gaming though.

Anyone tried out these random "milky" or "panda" switches? I figured they're variants of Red or Brown.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

My old CoolerMaster was being dodgy, couldn't be bothered taking it apart, so bought a Keychron Q5 with Gareton G Pro Brown (feels like lubed MX Browns 🤷‍♂️). Solid keyboard! A little tingy, needs some more dampening in the larger keycaps, and maybe o-rings.

Overall a very solid keyboard, hard to beat the value for money.

I’m on a Royal Kludge RK84 mechanical keyboard in my work from home setup. Connected by Bluetooth to the MacBook Pro, the Samsung M8 and the Hackintosh. Got the all black double shot PBT keys that led the backlit LEDs shine thru. I’ve added extra deadening to the inside and running Cherry browns that have been lubed and got 1.5mm rubber o-ring dampeners.

image.jpeg

• Like 1