Jump to content
SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Intake manifold/plenum options


Recommended Posts

Can't find a thread on this so decided I'll make one to hear opinions. Just want to get some opinions on the different intake manifold options for RB's, particularly if you have actually seen or experienced the ones you're going to mention. 

Has anyone used the Otaku Garage ones, NPBoosted etc? Reputable or just look the part? 

And yes I'm aware plazmaman is great, just want to see all the options and what's out there, because mostly I see people run either plazmaman or cheap ebay lol but surely there are more? 

Also have a number of my own reasons for running an ffp, for anyone who's gonna tell me to stay stock. Aesthetics is certainly one, which is why I'm not actually too fond of plazmaman haha

 

So leave your opinions and reviews below. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Otaku/rep/copies notorious for splitting
Any short runner manifold will be a performance hit in the low/mid range, even the plazmaman one.

Used Genuine Greddy and lost all low/mid torque, Quality was good 2007/2008
Currently using Plazmaman Plenum on std runners. Got all my low down torque back and Quality is great 2018

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/08/2021 at 7:25 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Otaku/rep/copies notorious for splitting
Any short runner manifold will be a performance hit in the low/mid range, even the plazmaman one.

Used Genuine Greddy and lost all low/mid torque, Quality was good 2007/2008
Currently using Plazmaman Plenum on std runners. Got all my low down torque back and Quality is great 2018

That's interesting as I haven't heard bad things about otaku intakes yet, but I haven't heard much about them either. And yea def don't want to sacrifice too much low down, I've got an Rb20det after all haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 2:25 AM, robbo_rb180 said:

Otaku/rep/copies notorious for splitting
Any short runner manifold will be a performance hit in the low/mid range, even the plazmaman one.

Used Genuine Greddy and lost all low/mid torque, Quality was good 2007/2008
Currently using Plazmaman Plenum on std runners. Got all my low down torque back and Quality is great 2018

Does the Nismo plenum make more sense then for people that want to light a lot of money on fire for basically zero benefit? They claim the intake runner length is 73.8mm compared to 48.5mm for the OEM part. Plenum volume is 4.1L vs OEM 3.4L. Supposedly cylinder 5/6 have a different runner geometry as well to try and get it to have more even air/fuel distribution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2021 at 5:27 PM, joshuaho96 said:

They claim the intake runner length is 73.8mm compared to 48.5mm for the OEM part

They what? The runners one RB25 etc are waaay longer than 2 or 3 inches. Are you talking about RB26?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 4:44 AM, joshuaho96 said:

Yeah, this is an RB26. Probably should've mentioned that part.

In that context, the Nismo plenum, if it offers the benefits that they claim, would be a good thing. The larger plenum volume will certainly help on big power cars. The improvements to the runner geometry might help. The length increase would be unnoticeable (except inasmuch as it might contribute to the large volume).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look at IMR in NZ.  He’s a one man show that makes some pretty awesome intakes.  I’ve got one for my car that will be DBW. It’s very well made and looks awesome  I’ll probably powdercoat it as well ven though the raw aluminium looks bloody good.

Mine-


CA986863-CF54-43B2-B900-BD864FD4457F.thumb.jpeg.7dae826a41abb8d33660e0c81f68dae6.jpeg


0581A6B2-162C-441D-99EA-C5832C9C8042.thumb.jpeg.28390e661adbf7ec5d4309e738b35736.jpeg

 

You’d have to hit him up for a price for an RB20 manifold as it will be obviously different to an RB26.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would keep the stock RB20DET plenum and run Plazmaman swept back piping.

Save that money and put it towards a sex spec modern turbo with a divided housing, twin scroll manifold, twin gates. That RB20 needs all the help it can get And throwing a plenum on is going backwards.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone dynoed the difference between using just a top plenum/oem runner vs short runner manifold? I'd love to see a graph and the difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/09/2021 at 8:01 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I would keep the stock RB20DET plenum and run Plazmaman swept back piping.

Save that money and put it towards a sex spec modern turbo with a divided housing, twin scroll manifold, twin gates. That RB20 needs all the help it can get And throwing a plenum on is going backwards.

Not keeping stock, for a few reasons like I said. I do intend to keep the runners as long as I can to not lose so much low down torque. Aside from short runners causing the curve to be higher in the rev range, therefore sacrificing low down, a forward facing is not going backwards. 

It's also getting a 6boost manifold and a Garrett turbo lol so those are in the plans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/09/2021 at 8:18 PM, Shoota_77 said:

Have a look at IMR in NZ.  He’s a one man show that makes some pretty awesome intakes.  I’ve got one for my car that will be DBW. It’s very well made and looks awesome  I’ll probably powdercoat it as well ven though the raw aluminium looks bloody good.

Mine-


CA986863-CF54-43B2-B900-BD864FD4457F.thumb.jpeg.7dae826a41abb8d33660e0c81f68dae6.jpeg


0581A6B2-162C-441D-99EA-C5832C9C8042.thumb.jpeg.28390e661adbf7ec5d4309e738b35736.jpeg

 

You’d have to hit him up for a price for an RB20 manifold as it will be obviously different to an RB26.

Thanks for the input I'll have to look into it, but def need runners to be a lot longer than that lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just remeber you don't have VCT and you have a 2.0L motor so the best option here if you want to go FFP is the Plazmaman plenum that utilises the stock runners.

Remember to go a divded rear housing on the turbo and twin scroll manifold. You'll need all the help you can get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/09/2021 at 10:19 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Just remeber you don't have VCT and you have a 2.0L motor so the best option here if you want to go FFP is the Plazmaman plenum that utilises the stock runners.

Remember to go a divded rear housing on the turbo and twin scroll manifold. You'll need all the help you can get.

Yeah plazmaman def seems to be the go, I was hoping to see if they had a good competitor for performance that just looked better hahah. But options are just a bit more limited on an Rb20det, without sacrificing what little it has low down lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, Chopstick Tuner said:

Aside from short runners causing the curve to be higher in the rev range, therefore sacrificing low down, a forward facing is not going backwards. 

 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:08 AM, Chopstick Tuner said:

without sacrificing what little it has low down lol

These are the key points. Any sacrifice of what the RB20 has to offer before the boost threshold only hurts driveability. You can make an RB20 make lots of power, but when you do you get nothing, nothing, nothing, wheelspin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/09/2021 at 11:00 AM, GTSBoy said:

 

These are the key points. Any sacrifice of what the RB20 has to offer before the boost threshold only hurts driveability. You can make an RB20 make lots of power, but when you do you get nothing, nothing, nothing, wheelspin.

I'm not disagreeing lol it's a street car so I want drivability, hence my search for a good intake that doesn't have tiny runners. There's always gonna be *some* sacrifice. But I'm not chasing massive power so it should be still good to drive, for huge power I'd look for an rb25det. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/08/2021 at 7:36 PM, Chopstick Tuner said:

That's interesting as I haven't heard bad things about otaku intakes yet, but I haven't heard much about them either. And yea def don't want to sacrifice too much low down, I've got an Rb20det after all haha

Bad things are literally all you hear about the Otaku Garage intakes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Latest Posts

    • I used these in my older H3C R32 lights and they fit perfectly with zero modifications. They also look fantastic with no glare. Highly recommend them. H3 LED CONVERSION KIT | HIDNation.com
    • Wheels look good, what are the specs? Got any pics of the fronts?
    • Not over boosting, boost control is setup through ecu, but have a gauge with recall, I’ve seen 21-22psi before. When it pinged, didn’t get there, was around 17psi. Yep that’s the train of thought I’m on. (Fuel supply) Will sort out a fuel pressure gauge, I think my Defi meter has provisions for another pressure sensor, will also check voltage getting to pump.   Thanks
    • assuming it is not overboosting.... I would change the fuel filter and if possible check fuel pressure under load. 
    • If DENSO makes the part then it's the OEM Toyota part - so buying it from a Toyota dealer is just a DENSO part in a Toyota box with mark up.    Any reason people are not running R35 Coils? They are generally considered best on the market and only cost $60/ea.  Yaris DENSO 6731306 - $52/ea R35 Hitachi IGC0079 - $61/ea   PRP has a breakdown of the two coils in comparison.    https://platinumracingproducts.com/pages/r35-coil-vs-yaris-coil-debate    
×
×
  • Create New...