SAU Community

Accusump

couchboy

Hi Guys 

I'm look at getting a accsump for surge protection for my track car what size have people used? I was thinking a 2 quarts because of were I want to mount it but on the other hand the 3 quarts would be better for more capacity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I may be wrong but i did some maths recently; at high rpm an upgraded oil pump is moving around a quart a second. So you can size the accusump for the length of protection you need.

A long corner on track might make for a few seconds of oil surge to make up for.

I have a 3QT. It depends on how MUCH oil pressure you are losing, and how much oil the accusump has in it.

By this I don't mean only if its a 1/2/3QT. If you want the Accusump to deliver oil pressure quickly it means setting it up so more of the canister's internal area is taken up by air, not oil. They refer to this as the "pre charge PSI" but in reality it's taking up more space.

All the people refer to it as extra sump CAPACITY and how it operates is pretty bang on in regards to that aspect.

However.... You can never have too much protection from oil starvation.

If you have ECU failsafes on oil pressure this helps even more, you can tie the accsump in with sensors to know when they kick in, etc, so you will never 'run out'.

• Like 1

Cheers Kinkstaah

I've already got a winged sump head drain kit but still wana add the Accusump, do you know if you can mount it vertically? Also were abouts have you mounted yours quite afew I've seen mount around the area of the rad and intercooler but I'm not a fan of mounting it there incase it gets damaged while racing. I was thinking about mounting mine behind the drivers seat area.

Edited by couchboy
Need to add more info

Given you said racing...  inside the cabin against the transmission tunnel where the passenger used to be seems common, So you can manually open/close them as you start/stop the motor which is the most reliable method. You can get a solenoid to do this, but it adds complexity and while it makes a lot of sense that it 'shouldn't fail.... the other option is a manual handle.

Corvette guys like to mount them just inside one of the guards, vertically but they get _reports_ of leaking from there. Mine is mounted horizontally, but given it's a cylinder full of pressurized oil, I can't really see how that'd change much...

My car no longer has a RB In it... and uh, it's mounted to the back of the front reinforcement bar. Not really an option with a front mount intercooler, but I don't have that either, so the routing to my oil cooler and where the oil cooler made a _LOT_ of sense for me.

• 2 weeks later...

The big advantage with a electronic valve instead of manual is a dash light can be used to indicate immediately the valve opens. For my setup I'd basically shut the engine down if I saw the light which in a racing situation may be a second or so. Which means that the Accusump is used to avoid a momentary no oil situation, nothing more.

Edited by 260DET