SAU Community

New Key Fob Supplied and Programmed

Hi all!

For anyone who has lost their key like I have and didn't have a spare, I have been quoted $610 for Ultimate Locksmiths Sydney to supply, cut & program a genuine proximity key. (they would have to get the key fob from Melbourne)

I have asked for a quote from my local Nissan too yet still waiting on their response.

A key set from Amayama is $137.12 and I've heard other people getting their key programmed for $100-150 which would be a lot cheaper in total (under $300) though the estimated delivery time from Amayama is 2 months.

Just putting this out there for others and to also know what was your experience with getting a new key fob supplied/cut/programmed to your Nissan? What should I expect to pay for such a service if I'm not supplying my own key?

Cheers!
Scott

I believe having no spare would make it quite a bit more expensive, for some cars this is a $2k+ exercise, so $610 seems cheap..  If you have 1 working remote, it can be cloned a lot cheaper than a whole new key.

I bought a spare key and remote for my wife's old maxima years ago, cost me about $50 from China.  Nissan charged $35 to program the car to accept the new key/remote.  But I had to have an existing working key/remote.  that said, this wasn't a smart key.

I only had one key when I bought my V36. Agreed with seller, that I would source a new key and he would program it for me.

Getting the key was straightforward from Japan using a member of the community. Took a while for the car retailer to get a Win XP virtual machine set up, as his key code generator only ran under that old OS. Once he had it running, he texted me to pop over. They had to get a key number, that is physically written on the ECU box in passenger foot well. From that they were able to generate the correct key code, which would have been with the keys when the car was new.

He plugged in a generic key programmer to the OBD2 and programmed the new key and made sure the car remembered the existing key.

Drove home with the new key.. The new key cost me about $150 and the dealer would have charged about the same to code the key. I think for a non-customer he might have charged extra for the hassle of getting the key generation software and the XP virtual machine, and really, I would have paid $600 for a new key all set up for me, rather than having to run around getting the key and programming arranged separately.

• Like 1