SAU Community

Torque Specs Needed for Filler / Drain Plugs on Transmission, Differentials, and Transfer Box/Case

hello! does anyone have the correct torque specs for the filler and drain plugs for:

1. transmission: 
  2. front diff:
  3. rear diff:
  4. transfer case:

I have the service manual, but it only covers the engine, not the rest. I'm looking for specs on an r33 gtr, if it makes a difference.

thanks in advance, you absolute legends!

Well I happen to have those written down on a sticky note in front of me, but they are for R32 so use at your own risk.

1. Gearbox: Drain 18-25 / Filler 18-25

2. Front Diff.: Drain 18-25 / Filler 18-25

3. Rear Diff.: Drain 43-72 / Filler 43-72

4. Transfer Case: Drain 18-25 / Filler 7-14

All units are in lbs/ft., convert at your own risk.

• Thanks 1

Transmission:

2071743657_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_24_07PM.thumb.png.a047d12ef03d9c38802f2a13735549b0.png

Transfer case:

1305450273_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_25_56PM.thumb.png.b94ede3ef6a58a2b8d4df44571f6d5cf.png

Front and Rear differential:

451709289_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_36_16PM.thumb.png.c635dbd193abbc862dc71ff6a74be527.png

All taken from the R34 workshop manual, I'm pretty sure that the differentials and therefore the torque specs are the same. The R34 GTR transmission is different but they list a torque spec for the 30A transmission which is shared with the R33 GTR. Transfer case is a different part on the R34 GTR with a thinner chain. It would be nice to get the Japanese R33 workshop manual, the english manuals out there tend to not be as comprehensive and between DeepL/Google Translate you don't really need a fully translated manual these days.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, Duncan said:

Don't be afraid to use the lower end of that range for those tapered plugs. They have an amazing ability to self tighten over time and I have never seen one of them leak from being undertightened.

A guy I know near me recently rounded off his front diff plugs so definitely don't go nuts, especially with the fill plug. Spark plugs are about the only thing where I try to tighten to middle of torque spec instead of lower end of torque spec and I do it with the engine cold. 

On 9/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, TXSquirrel said:

Well I happen to have those written down on a sticky note in front of me, but they are for R32 so use at your own risk.

1. Gearbox: Drain 18-25 / Filler 18-25

2. Front Diff.: Drain 18-25 / Filler 18-25

3. Rear Diff.: Drain 43-72 / Filler 43-72

4. Transfer Case: Drain 18-25 / Filler 7-14

All units are in lbs/ft., convert at your own risk.

@TXSquirrel buddy, this is exactly what i needed. thanks!!!

On 9/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Transmission:

2071743657_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_24_07PM.thumb.png.a047d12ef03d9c38802f2a13735549b0.png

Transfer case:

1305450273_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_25_56PM.thumb.png.b94ede3ef6a58a2b8d4df44571f6d5cf.png

Front and Rear differential:

451709289_ScreenShot2021-09-08at1_36_16PM.thumb.png.c635dbd193abbc862dc71ff6a74be527.png

All taken from the R34 workshop manual, I'm pretty sure that the differentials and therefore the torque specs are the same. The R34 GTR transmission is different but they list a torque spec for the 30A transmission which is shared with the R33 GTR. Transfer case is a different part on the R34 GTR with a thinner chain. It would be nice to get the Japanese R33 workshop manual, the english manuals out there tend to not be as comprehensive and between DeepL/Google Translate you don't really need a fully translated manual these days.

@joshuaho96 i found a manual that they sell out of NZ, that is supposed to have everything (engine, chassis, and some other stuff) and it sells for a decent price, but i don't know anyone that has purchased it. what i don't want to do is pay for the engine only file that everyone has been sharing.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, Duncan said:

Don't be afraid to use the lower end of that range for those tapered plugs. They have an amazing ability to self tighten over time and I have never seen one of them leak from being undertightened.

@Duncan always chiming in with the excellent advice!

thanks all of you!

On 9/8/2021 at 3:14 PM, itsforandres said:

@TXSquirrel buddy, this is exactly what i needed. thanks!!!

@joshuaho96 i found a manual that they sell out of NZ, that is supposed to have everything (engine, chassis, and some other stuff) and it sells for a decent price, but i don't know anyone that has purchased it. what i don't want to do is pay for the engine only file that everyone has been sharing.

@Duncan always chiming in with the excellent advice!

thanks all of you!

They mention that the engine manual is a crappy scan of their old translation uploaded to the internet. The 150 dollar manual is the complete workshop manual supposedly. I might spring for that down the road, it gets tiring to cross-reference against the R34 manual. The suspension components especially are different so I'm not sure what the torque specs would be there.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the only JPNZ R33 manual is about 500 pages and engine only. Given that JPNZ went to the effort of scanning, translating and collating all those pages, I'd encourage anyone who needs it to pay the small amount for the trouble it can save you.

I have not seen a scanned full copy of an original japanese R33 manual, although I do have the W34 Stagea one.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, Duncan said:

As far as I know, the only JPNZ R33 manual is about 500 pages and engine only. Given that JPNZ went to the effort of scanning, translating and collating all those pages, I'd encourage anyone who needs it to pay the small amount for the trouble it can save you.

I have not seen a scanned full copy of an original japanese R33 manual, although I do have the W34 Stagea one.

"Below is the index from the manual it is a copy and paste and not laid out as it should be but is the full index. Please note this is a full factory workshop manual not just the engine but a manual for the entire vehicle. Some idiot did copy our engine manual for this vehicle and sells it online and it is a shit scan and only covers the engine, since then we translated the rest of the Japanese manual which covers the entire vehicle. We get asked all the time if this is just the engine or the full manual. This is the full manual."

On 09/09/2021 at 8:08 AM, Duncan said:

Good on them....massive job.....buy, buy, buy and give them a small payback for the huge effort they have put in.

I have the R33 chassis manual - it is excellent. Waited ages for them to finally do it, as I was annoying them all the time for full version in 2004 after buying their engine manual.

I find it much much faster to have the hard copy out. Speaking of, this is very very temping when back in stock:

https://www.automotobookshop.com.au/nissan-gtr-r32-service-workshop-manual-2-volume-set/

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, Duncan said:

Good on them....massive job.....buy, buy, buy and give them a small payback for the huge effort they have put in.

i did! i ordered right after i made the post!

On 9/8/2021 at 6:33 PM, joshuaho96 said:

"Below is the index from the manual it is a copy and paste and not laid out as it should be but is the full index. Please note this is a full factory workshop manual not just the engine but a manual for the entire vehicle. Some idiot did copy our engine manual for this vehicle and sells it online and it is a shit scan and only covers the engine, since then we translated the rest of the Japanese manual which covers the entire vehicle. We get asked all the time if this is just the engine or the full manual. This is the full manual."

i didn’t see that on the page. i just took a chance and ordered it!

On 9/8/2021 at 7:13 PM, BK said:

I have the R33 chassis manual - it is excellent. Waited ages for them to finally do it, as I was annoying them all the time for full version in 2004 after buying their engine manual.

I find it much much faster to have the hard copy out. Speaking of, this is very very temping when back in stock:

https://www.automotobookshop.com.au/nissan-gtr-r32-service-workshop-manual-2-volume-set/

i’d never seen that site nor that book! will bookmark, thanks!

On 09/09/2021 at 8:47 AM, itsforandres said:

i’d never seen that site nor that book! will bookmark, thanks!

It's the official Nisssn Australia 32 GTR manual. I know it's the one everyone has a scanned copy of including myself, but the fact it is still obtainable is tempting.

I reckon the scan of the 32 manual originates with me. I sneakily borrowed a copy from Nissan back in about 1999 or so. I made 3 photocopies (because scanning it at that point in time was actually a bit too much of a challenge) and distributed 2 copies to others who knew I had borrowed the original.

Although, the Nissan original was in a lever arch folder, not a bound book, so was probably a workshop copy anyway.

The PDFs that are around all contain some artefacts from my photocopies that were not on the original paper I copied. So I reckon one of the other copies got scanned early in the 2000s and ran away to the internet.

well, you have done the world a great service then!

I actually have the original hard copy too picked up a copy I saw a few years back like a seagull on a hot chip, I only really use it for tracing wiring as the scan it not really legible for a lot of the detail