SAU Community

Noltec Adj Front Upper Control Arms for R32GTST, R32GTR

32R

Hi All

Having abit of a cleanout and found my Noltec arms

Before removed I didnt notice any play and still seem solid when levered, but a couple of bushes are chopped around edges

These bushes shagged and need replacing or okay to use as is and good to go?

Photo of worse one attached

Cheers

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

I would not use them. 

Generally, Notlec bushes were great when new, but they disintegrate over time. Even if those were OK now, once you start putting them under pressure at that age they will just crumble.

Worse, there is a reason people stopped using that arm design. It is too easy for the adjusting bolts to come loose leaving you with some excitement when they slip.

Fair enough, although I thought polyurethane bushes dont have a lifespan on age as such and are usually good for the life of a car if not flogged out. Suppose it depends on type and use.

Think i must of got too cranky on the bolts and chewed them,didn't notice when I removed them but it's been awhile

Wouldn't want them slipping mid corner though. One time taking a negative to a positive wouldn't be fun...

Cheers for the reply

On 9/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, 32R said:

Think i must of got too cranky on the bolts and chewed them,didn't notice when I removed them but it's been awhile

No. It's a design "feature" of rigid FUCAs on R32s. The stock arms are rigid and have squidgy bushes to provide some compliance to take up the simply horrible amount of twist that the stupid suspension geometry forces into them on articulation. Polyurethane bushes get squeezed something horrible. Noltec's urethane compound also didn't age well, as per Duncan's report.

Basically, these arms suck for a few different reasons. It's hard to find a workable solution for R32s.