SAU Community

One bore scratch bore out necessary?

Hi i have an rb30 i purchased a while back it was rebuilt by a shop several years ago and sat around ever since. I just was looking in the bores today and noticed cylinder 2 had a scratch i can feel a bit with my finger nail the rest of the bores are fine its just this scratch. I was hoping to make 330hp on this motor. Looking for advice on what to do i really do not want to forge it as its very expensive i wanted to know if anyone has encourantered something similar thanks.

20210923_202717.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found out a little more about it the machine shop did all the work but did not assemble it. I had an engine rebuilder take a look at it he said it looked like something had got in the bore while it was assembled. Told me it was better off running the motor it would just burn a little oil and might smoke some more on boost cheers.

Well that is an option for sure.

Ine cylinder burning some oil will mean it is more likely to detonate, and considering that is damage you can see I would be cautious of what you can't see. Oil galleries full of junk,  bearing clearances wrong etc. Keeping the bores clean is one of the easiest parts of building an engine.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:19 PM, G2trop said:

Found out a little more about it the machine shop did all the work but did not assemble it. I had an engine rebuilder take a look at it he said it looked like something had got in the bore while it was assembled. Told me it was better off running the motor it would just burn a little oil and might smoke some more on boost cheers.

It's your time and money, personally if I pull an engine I'm going to build it like it's never getting pulled again.

• Like 1