SAU Community

R33GTST vs R34GTT gearbox ... any better?

Torques

Hello,

As per title.

I'm driving an S2 GTST and the gearbox makes a slight whining noise in all gears - so possibly one of the shaft bearings(?)

Shifting is actually ok, except for 3rd to 4th which doesn't like swift changes.

I'm considering buying a brand new R34GTT gearbox and convert it from pull to push and sell of my old box.

My question:

Are the R34GTT boxes improved compared to the R33 ones?

No, but yes. Yes improved on synchromesh design, not on geaset.

Not really significantly any better, and definitely not any stronger.

It's like having a series 3 GTR box synchro wise.

Read page 2 of this, I break it down.

I mean go for it if you feel like starting with a brand new box with the updated and more reliable 3rd/4th synchro setup.

Your wiring noise just sounds like how they become after the gear mesh wears over time, not necessarily any particular worn bearing.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:21 PM, BK said:

I mean go for it if you feel like starting with a brand new box with the updated and more reliable 3rd/4th synchro setup.

Your wiring noise just sounds like how they become after the gear mesh wears over time, not necessarily any particular worn bearing.

Ahh .. OK .. it's a permanent sound, not dependent on gear selection. Sometimes it's almost gone (wishful thinking) ;)

Earlier I found brass shavings in the oil. (actually the oil was slightly laced with brass particles)

I refilled with the OEM Oil which seemed to work fine.

The 3rd->4th reluctance / crunch is annoying. Especially under higher revs.

A gearbox refresh might be expensive and time consuming, that's why I thought of just biting the bullet  and getting a brand new R34 unit.

I think the 'conversion' to push is quite simple ... there are even markings in the cast for the R33 slave I heard.