SAU Community

R34 GTT Front Alignment Problem - Steering Rack/Rack Bushes or?

Hi all,

I got an alignment today to coincide with getting the tension rods replaced and the steering pulling to the left.

Initially, I thought this would just be a routine alignment to go with the tension rods being replaced; however there was something weird picked-up by the shop to explain why the car was pulling to the left.  

The last alignment was  around three months ago and the toe was set at zero. I hit a sizeable bump in the road about 2 months ago but there was no noticeable steering issues immediately following this. Only recently, say a week or so after changing the tension rods did I notice the steering wheel was cocked to the right, even when there was contrarian camber in the road.

When stationary, I can feel a slight click/knock through the steering wheel when intially turning. This was actually why I changed the tension rods, well this and leaky TR bushes.

I'm sure the steering rack bushes need replacing after >200k kms but could this be the source of the problem?

As you can see, there seems to be a lateral shift in something in the front that caused the toe to move to +1.6 L/-1.5 R, you'd assume somewhere in the vicinity of the rack given the movement. I'm assuming the toe was true (@ about zero) prior to this shift.

Using my broken Japanese, I was able to figure out the mechanic was saying "the alignment is fine now but it will change again when subject to certain lateral forces", "something something steering rack something" - I couldnt figure out whether he was saying bush or something else here.

I should note that I've recently tried (with my hands) to move the front wheels with the car in the air but it felt solid.

S__19980291.thumb.jpg.c727cd980dd6997211a88e4812be17cc.jpg

Three options for an impact caused change of toe in the same direction on both sides;

• Bent tie rod. Less likely because of even change on both sides, but possible.
  • Steering rack moved on its mounts towards one side.
  • Crossmember moved on its chassis mounts to one side. Less likely than the steering rack, because it is more heavily attached to the chassis (than the rack is to the crossmember), and also, the rack would move with the crossmember, so probably wouldn't turn up as the change you've seen. It is not impossible to actually move the crossmember though. I had an incident in my car with a gutter that did just that.

So, yes, likely that rack bushes are in a bad way, because even if they weren't before, they would have to have suffered to permit the rack to move - unless bolts have bent.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 3:11 PM, GTSBoy said:

Three options for an impact caused change of toe in the same direction on both sides;

• Bent tie rod. Less likely because of even change on both sides, but possible.
  • Steering rack moved on its mounts towards one side.
  • Crossmember moved on its chassis mounts to one side. Less likely than the steering rack, because it is more heavily attached to the chassis (than the rack is to the crossmember), and also, the rack would move with the crossmember, so probably wouldn't turn up as the change you've seen. It is not impossible to actually move the crossmember though. I had an incident in my car with a gutter that did just that.

So, yes, likely that rack bushes are in a bad way, because even if they weren't before, they would have to have suffered to permit the rack to move - unless bolts have bent.

Thanks as always GTSBoy.

I am just trying to figure out what the hypothesis is here, just in case I'm missing something. I'm going to have to wait a week or so until I can use the lift at the local shop so its good to gather a list of potential failure items. 

Rack bushes have been ordered. I'm going to assume the crossmember is okay but will give it a thorough check when the car is on the lift. I'll document my findings here for anyone else in the same position.