SAU Community

R33 RB25 Front engine noise

Hey all!

First time posting, so I hope I've done it correctly

I got a nice rattle happening but never noticed it before.  

Engine has low kms but haven't done the timing belt yet :p.  It has sat around for a couple years but always started and moved around every week and kept garaged,  so I'm assuming its something timing belt related.  I took a quick video to help.. I swear it has done this since 39kms.

https://youtu.be/kLM67uO0H8g

https://youtube.com/shorts/YIZLiaYrHpQ?feature=share

Hope im allowed to post these as I keep getting server error when trying to attach a file... even upload a profile pic :/

Thanks 

On 12/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, ryanr2500 said:

Hey all!

First time posting, so I hope I've done it correctly

I got a nice rattle happening but never noticed it before.  

Engine has low kms but haven't done the timing belt yet :p.  It has sat around for a couple years but always started and moved around every week and kept garaged,  so I'm assuming its something timing belt related.  I took a quick video to help.. I swear it has done this since 39kms.

https://youtu.be/kLM67uO0H8g

https://youtube.com/shorts/YIZLiaYrHpQ?feature=share

Hope im allowed to post these as I keep getting server error when trying to attach a file... even upload a profile pic :/

Thanks 

Motor sounds like it has a bottom end knock as mysteriously eluded to - especially first video.

@Duncan has been very polite, and I commend you on your restraint there mate 😄, I won't be -

It's fcked....

Noises like that don't get any better or go away by themselves.

If in doubt - engine out.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I just checked then, and there is definitely no noise underneath..  I know what knocking sounds like but this sound more like a bearing or something in the front thats revolutionary, its under the timing cover im pretty sure..

this thing has only done 85k kms so id hate to think it was knocking already, especially driving around on stock boost and very well maintained(well.... apart form this).

ive only hit the limiter in this 3 times in 11 years, i did get shit for buying a skyline and not hammering it... not even a single burnout lol. 

oh na dont hold back on me, go hard as.  :)

Yeah oil pressure will be a good guide for a bearing issue, but the noise getting worse when reving is a pretty clear indicator of a big end bearing issue.

Still, if you think it is front of engine, the top timing cover can be removed and you can still run the engine, so that is worth a try. There are bearings under there for the timing belt idler and tensioner so it is not impossible

Either way, the less you run the engine, the less further damage occurs.

• Like 1

Oil pressure was just under 8kg/cm2(full) on cold start, comes down to just under 4 on idle.

I wont get time till tomorrow to take the cover off and have a look.  I can hear it on idle but very very softly.

Ill let you know how it goes!

Just started this topic in case someone else has this issue also.

Thanks !

Does it go away when the motor is warm? If it sounds like its under the timing cover, it could be a lazy lifter.

Edit: Just listened and doesn't sound like one, but always hard to tell unless your right there.

Try removing your front belts and trying for a few seconds, eliminate alternator, water pump power steering noises etc

On 13/10/2021 at 4:14 PM, ryanr2500 said:

Oil pressure was just under 8kg/cm2(full) on cold start, comes down to just under 4 on idle.

I wont get time till tomorrow to take the cover off and have a look.  I can hear it on idle but very very softly.

Ill let you know how it goes!

Just started this topic in case someone else has this issue also.

Thanks !

I take it that's from the extremely inaccurate factory gauge ?

On 13/10/2021 at 9:37 PM, GTSBoy said:

Are there any other pressure gauges in the world that use the stupid f**king units of kg/cm^2 ?

Anything from Japan, but yes I know right ?  I just see that measurement and instantly see it as bar, as its close enough to the same thing

Also wanted to see if there was any acknowledgement of the fact of having no idea what the oil pressure is in this situation reading the factory gauge, as your not having 8bar cold idle or 4bar hot idle in reality are you ?

Sound is there still when warm.

Yeh ill try that after i take the cover off !

Ill take a video on cold start and hot idle for oil pressure soon :)

Im having a hard time removing the plastic cover the protects the vct cable from hitting the fan...  not as easy as the videos say it is :(  I hate old plastic !!  they said flick it forwards..nope.. pull it upwards, nope..  the metal bracket its sitting on is starting to flex outwards :/.  I really dont want to forcibly remove it.  dont think its ever been removed.

It's not metric. It is a bullshit unit.

The unit of force is Newtons, not kg. The kg is a unit of mass. It is not even a unit of weight, because technically there is no such thing as a unit of weight. Weight is force, and the force depends on the acceleration or the local gravitational field. So, here on the surface of Earth, where the local gravity is about 9.807 m/s^2, the force created by a resting 1kg of mass is 9.807 N. If you express that as kg of "weight", what you are saying is kg.f (meaning "kilograms force"), which as I said before, is meaningless. Because on Mars, the force you'd get from 1kg of mass is about 1/3 of what is here. On the Moon, about 1/6, and on Jupiter it's like 2.5x as much or something.

The next bit of bullshit is the use of centimeters. Builders use mm. Engineers and scientists use metres. Only dressmakers use cm. And no-one should use square centimetres for anything.

The only acceptable units of pressure are those that are mutliples of Pascals, or those that are understood to be exactly equivalent to a multiple of Pa. 1 Newton per square metre. Lovely. Anyone caught using N/mm^2 should have their thumbs pulled off. That's an MPa.

So, the use of a bullshit unit of force divided by a bullshit unit of area, to produce a bullshit unit of pressure that is close to but not actually numerically the same as a quite reasonably good near SI unit of pressure (the bar, being 100 kPa) is bullshit.

I only use psi and inches and feet and atmospheres and cubic furlongs because those are the standard bullshit units used by a disturbingly large fraction of the population and you simply cannot break the inertia. But there is no reason to go along with a double bullshit unit like kg/cm^2.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 14/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, niZmO_Man said:

pooping on metric, coming from you, shame :P

As pointed out metric is really pascal in pressure.

Kg/cm2 about as useful as measuring power in PS, and possibly HP for that matter instead of watts.

On 14/10/2021 at 11:37 AM, GTSBoy said:

It's not metric. It is a bullshit unit.

The unit of force is Newtons, not kg. The kg is a unit of mass. It is not even a unit of weight, because technically there is no such thing as a unit of weight. Weight is force, and the force depends on the acceleration or the local gravitational field. So, here on the surface of Earth, where the local gravity is about 9.807 m/s^2, the force created by a resting 1kg of mass is 9.807 N. If you express that as kg of "weight", what you are saying is kg.f (meaning "kilograms force"), which as I said before, is meaningless. Because on Mars, the force you'd get from 1kg of mass is about 1/3 of what is here. On the Moon, about 1/6, and on Jupiter it's like 2.5x as much or something.

The next bit of bullshit is the use of centimeters. Builders use mm. Engineers and scientists use metres. Only dressmakers use cm. And no-one should use square centimetres for anything.

The only acceptable units of pressure are those that are mutliples of Pascals, or those that are understood to be exactly equivalent to a multiple of Pa. 1 Newton per square metre. Lovely. Anyone caught using N/mm^2 should have their thumbs pulled off. That's an MPa.

So, the use of a bullshit unit of force divided by a bullshit unit of area, to produce a bullshit unit of pressure that is close to but not actually numerically the same as a quite reasonably good near SI unit of pressure (the bar, being 100 kPa) is bullshit.

I only use psi and inches and feet and atmospheres and cubic furlongs because those are the standard bullshit units used by a disturbingly large fraction of the population and you simply cannot break the inertia. But there is no reason to go along with a double bullshit unit like kg/cm^2.

Good rant, will drop by again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worth a shot, but not saying this will be it

I had issues with my CAS a long time ago after i disturbed it when I did my timing belt. Spent a long time taking top timing cover off and running, and putting it back on and running

Noise went away with it off and CAS mounted, came back when cover was back on with CAS Mounted

From memory the spacers were not installed in the gasket or something fun along those lines. Eventually ended up replacing the CAS to as it had a horrible bearing noise

It was already suggested above but it would be worthwhile taking the top timing cover off and see if noise goes away

• Like 1