SAU Community

R32 gtst swapped rb26dett

Hello,

So I just recently bought a rb26dett for my 1992 r32 gtst. I've been told I need I'll need a new cross member and drive shaft to make it fit, I know I needed a new shaft but didn't know about the cross member. What cross member will fit for a rb25 trans to a 26 motor? And what drive shaft would be best? I am also having trouble finding an adapter plate. Any info would be greatly appreciated 

Edited by Brianna-32

You don't need a new crossmember. The GTR crossmember cannot be put into the RWD chasssis anyway.

You just need engine mounts, and I'm pretty sure your RB20 ones will fit. If they don't google up what other people have done. It's not hard.

What gearbox are you going to use? Don't say the GTR gearbox, because it won't fit. It just won't fit. Don't even think about it. And don't say you're going to use the RB20 gearbox, because it won't survive. The RB26 makes more torque than the little box can handle.

You will need an RB25DET gearbox. And then you will need the front half of a tailshaft to suit, and then you will need to take your R32 tailshaft and the front half of the (likely R33) shaft and some careful measurements to a drive/shaft manufacturer (like Hardie Spicer) and get them cut and shut together.

There is no other way to do the tailshaft properly. Nothing off the shelf will work.

• 1 month later...

Don't hack up the 26-parts, you can sell the sump, diff and trans for a pretty penny. 

Neo RB25 5spds are still available new and you can always grab a used RB25 Trans. They also make adapter plates to run a modified CD09 out of a Z33/Z34 and you can get bellhousings for the T-56 / Magnum.