SAU Community

Effort required to replace heater and coolant hoses on GTR R33?

sonic99

Thank you, all.

if I asked my mechanic to keep the parts he takes off, would this sound weird? I don’t want him to think I don’t Trust him but at the same time I want to be certain that the parts were replaced with brand new ones. Also, if they happen to be in reasonable condition I wouldn’t mind selling them off on gumtree…

They are your parts, so you might get a strange look but it's a valid request. I've known some places in the past that keep and show all the parts they remove to build trust (not that most people would know if it actually came off your car, I guess you are safe with GTR heater hoses...)

On 6/11/21 at 7:47 PM, Duncan said:

They are your parts, so you might get a strange look but it's a valid request. I've known some places in the past that keep and show all the parts they remove to build trust (not that most people would know if it actually came off your car, I guess you are safe with GTR heater hoses...)

Thanks for that. Do you mind me asking what exactly you meant by “you’re safe with gtr heater hoses”?

On 10/29/2021 at 2:29 AM, sonic99 said:

Does anyone know how long it would take or how much it would cost to have heater and coolant hoses replaced on a GTR R33?

What coolant hoses in particular? There are a ton of coolant hoses and pipes in an R33 GT-R. Some of them are not that bad to get to. Some of them really, really suck to get to. Personally I am replacing every vacuum line and coolant line on the intake side of the engine in addition to the heater core lines and my Amayama order was something like 800 USD in hoses/clamps and that didn't include the 40 USD rear block heater fitting or 40 USD front coolant hose that has somehow become a Nismo Heritage part. Keep in mind that with a car this old unless every previous owner was religious about changing coolant on time it is all but guaranteed that multiple metal coolant pipes have significant rust and pitting. Either you can wet blast off the rust and fill the pits with epoxy/JB weld or source a new replacement and try some coolant hose grease on the barbs to try and discourage corrosion from forming in the future. The coolant pipe that goes from the heater core along the firewall to the intake side of the engine is 116 dollars from Amayama/Nissan Japan not including shipping/customs charges. It is also a huge pain to remove because of the dimensions of the part. Wrap all edges of it in something soft unless you enjoy leaving visible marks in the engine bay paint like I did. 

Also as others have said nobody is going to buy used hoses. Half of them will tear upon removal in a way that makes them unusable, even if the majority of the hose is intact you will almost certainly have the ends of the hose lose most of their inner lining as the corrosion has penetrated the rubber and will not come off cleanly. For the effort it takes to get to most of these hoses I cannot imagine even contemplating throwing a set of old hoses back on and praying they don't burst.

Also, for anything under the intake manifold/plenum it is penny wise pound foolish to even bother with anything but OEM new molded hoses. It is a rats nest down there. Every single hose is molded to fit in a very specific position, trying to make do with generic hose will cost you more in time and wasted effort than the cost of the OEM part.

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/21 at 6:39 AM, Duncan said:

I was simply saying that they aren't going to leave your old hoses on and show you some they took off another 33 gtr that had gone through there.

Sorry the original poster was talking about trying to sell them if they were still in working order 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:14 AM, sonic99 said:

How much coolant will be required and which one should I get?

8.5L is the system capacity, how close you will get to draining all of it depends on how far you go in draining the car. Coolant choice depends on what coolant you already have. If you have the Nissan green or blue then use that. If you have something else in the system then get the same. If you don't know what you have and don't want to take chances then flush the system with distilled water, then refill with whatever you want.