SAU Community

Tips for cleaning the engine bay

sonic99

I'd like to have my R33 engine spray cleaned and am looking for a car detailed. Anything in particular I need to ask in order to make sure they know what they're doing?

Eg. Should they only ever steam clean? What about spraying all electrical with WD40 so it repels water?

What do I need to look out for to ensure they don't damage anything?

I sometimes hit mine with degreaser in a can, then use the hose with a jet nozzle.  Then I use soapy water and a brush and rinse that off as well.  Then I chamois off all that I can see or reach.  Afterwards though take your car for a nice long drive to boil the water away, and it might not all be gone, those spark plug wells hold the water.

Had no problems doing this.

• Thanks 1

I would normally rinse with low pressure, spray everything with a good all purpose cleaner, clean with various brushes starting from underside of the bonnet and working down.

Then low pressure rinse and dry with a leaf blower to get any remaining water out of any crevices. Any leftover bits can be dried by hand with a microfibre cloth.

Last step is 303 Aerospace on all the plastic bits and of you are really keen, spray wax on the painted parts.

Cover the alternator beforehand and keep water away from any intake components and that's pretty much it.

• Thanks 1