SAU Community

Weird Kingpin angle on front left (bent hub, upright camber bracket, something else?) r32 gtr

will34

Hi All,

Found an old post you commented on from 2006

"On Skylines the spindles (vertical suspension arms) can and do bend. If so the easiest (best) method of fixing it is to replace the thing. Don't bodge the thing up - fix whats wrong."

Is there a easy way to tell this has bent if not visually (tried to measure same points on the other side but was the same and im not sure I am doing it correctly).

Long story - had my car in for alignment (they ended up running out of time so they just took my measurements). 
Anyway my front left KingPin Angle is out (its 10 degrees vs 17 on the right) with 5 castor. 

Cannot for the life of me figure out what is up with it, the adjustable camber arms are both set to the exact same length and the lower control arm seems fine (measures 315mm hole to hole same as the drivers side)

Alignment looks like

Front

Toe L-2 R-2

Camber L-1.35 R-1.33

Caster L5.44 R 5.22

Kingpin L 10 degrees R 17 degrees

Could be the upright is bent, but that's not really a common problem.

Could be bent/moved subframe. Could be the whole car is bent, having had a front ender and not put back straight.

I would suggest taking it to the sort of chassis shop that crash repairers use when they can't get  car straight again. If you were in SA I would suggest someone to look at it. Can't do that for anyone else.

You'll never work this shit out for yourself. You don't have the kit for making these sorts of measurements.

Thanks GTSboy, appreciate the input I think that will be the best route to take.

It hasnt had a hit in my 13 years of ownership and the kingpin angle was fine (11/12) when I had it aligned 3 years back now

Ill track down a shop in Vic to get it measured up for the subframe  and all

On 04/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, will34 said:

Thanks GTSboy, appreciate the input I think that will be the best route to take.

It hasnt had a hit in my 13 years of ownership and the kingpin angle was fine (11/12) when I had it aligned 3 years back now

Ill track down a shop in Vic to get it measured up for the subframe  and all

Try R Kent and sons in Clayton north. They'll be able to work it out for you.