SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Going for 500+hp, need advice

On 12/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, Ben C34 said:

A new nismo engine is a bit different to a 200 plus thousand k engine though.

Sure, but the difference between 10W-40 vs 5W-40 is going to be near zero at operating temperatures and at cold start the oil is going to be far thicker than what it would be at operating temperatures as well.

• Like 1

On 24/12/21 at 11:26 PM, GTSBoy said:

Cold oil pressure is key to preventing a lot of unwanted engine wear. You would be surprised how much wear occurs in the first few minutes off operation, every time it is started cold.

Because it takes 30secs for the oil to move around the engine.

On 12/24/2021 at 2:26 AM, GTSBoy said:

Cold oil pressure is key to preventing a lot of unwanted engine wear. You would be surprised how much wear occurs in the first few minutes off operation, every time it is started cold.

Wouldn't you want a relatively thin oil for cold start? I thought that was the whole point of this multigrade oil thing.

Balancing act between the more simple hydrodynamics and the annoying things like film strength. It's about achieving the best possible bearing performance as fast as possible. Local minimum of one function superimposed on the local maximum of the other.

• Like 2

On 27/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Wouldn't you want a relatively thin oil for cold start? I thought that was the whole point of this multigrade oil thing.

You would want thicker actually as a dead cold engine would have higher tolerances than a warm one.