SAU Community

VQ25DD Timing help.

Ok so I know this has probably been covered many times in the past but I have spent days researching this problem to no avail.

Sooooo, I have a Stagea M35 with the VQ25DD ( I know there is the wagoneers topic but this is VQ related ) Brought with a broken motor due to timing chain issue which snapped one of the ends of the camshaft off. 

Came with a second "Good" motor which we have put in but have been having trouble with the timing, specifically the vvt intake cam on bank 1. We found shortly after we put the motor in the vvt was having problems, took off cam covers to find the spring had jumped of its placing. This was due to the fact that one of the stops (of how much rotation the vvt could do) had broken off.

So we replaced the spring and thought we'd see how long it'd last with only one stop, apparently not very long. So now I'm at a point where I have to replace the whole vvt part of the bank 1 cam sprocket, so my questions are:

Can this be done just by removing the allen keys at the back and two bolts off the end of the sprocket/cam? take it off, find the timing marks and put it all back together?

Can you do a timing chain job with the engine in the car? I'm assuming yes but a bit of guidance would be great.

And any info on the car such a service manual links / other topic links.

Also do the electronic clutch part on the cover wear / have trouble? can you get new ones from nissan does anyone know? 

Thanks.

IMG_0964.JPEG

IMG_0963.JPEG

IMG_0962.JPEG

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, Matchy42 said:

1. Can this be done just by removing the allen keys at the back and two bolts off the end of the sprocket/cam? take it off, find the timing marks and put it all back together?

2. Can you do a timing chain job with the engine in the car? I'm assuming yes but a bit of guidance would be great.

3. Also do the electronic clutch part on the cover wear / have trouble? can you get new ones from nissan does anyone know? 

1. Nope. Full removal of the engine front cover is required, sprocket covers, all piping, fan, belts, pulls, water pump, chane tensioner, the cover itself is fragile with oem sealant between the engine housing.

2. You can, also no need to remove the radiator. It will be fun bytheway.

3. It is a magnet with a coil in it. Buy a second hand one, or 2 brand new units, neither the covers or vvts are fixable, I would consider to replace all under the front cover, new chains, tensioners, pads etc, $2000ish with your labour and then it will run another 10+ years.

You will have to do the same but without taking the engine out.