SAU Community

Sparkplugs/Coilpacks - 600kw

TurboTapin

Have two quick spark related questions for everyone. I'm in the middle of building a stroked 2.8 and shooting for around 600kw. I'm expecting to run around 35psi to get there with my gen2 6466. 

1st - Will good condition splitfire coilpacks have any issues around that pressure/hp? Should I just purchase r35 coilpacks to be safe or am I wasting my money?

2nd - As for sparkplugs, I'm planning on running 8's with a .6mm gap. Will this suffice?

Thanks

Edited by TurboTapin

On 11/18/2021 at 11:19 AM, TurboTapin said:

Will good condition splitfire coilpacks have any issues around that pressure/hp?

They could be good, or they could struggle. I'd be worried that they're not good enough. It's not as if Splitfires are actually any better than brand new OEM coils. They're just the same technology level, well made.

Should I just purchase r35 coilpacks to be safe

This would be my approach to anything above 400kW these days. Eliminate the possibility of trouble.

2nd - As for sparkplugs, I'm planning on running 8's with a .6mm gap. Will this suffice?

8 is probably wise. I would want to be running fu(k tons more than 0.6mm gap. That's sufficient argument for R35 coils straight away.

R35 coils and the greatest spark plugs in the world, Denso IK01-24 or NGK R7434-8 and forget about it for a couple of years.

they can be had from RHD japan for relatively reasonable money. supercheap will hit you for $99 a plug.

Edited by burn4005

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, burn4005 said:

R35 coils and the greatest spark plugs in the world, Denso IK01-24 or NGK R7434-8 and forget about it for a couple of years.

they can be had from RHD japan for relatively reasonable money. supercheap will hit you for $99 a plug.

Could you explain the advantage of the Denso/NGK plugs you listed? Spark power, longevity, or something else my brain can't think of?

On 08/12/2021 at 7:09 AM, iruvyouskyrine said:

Could you explain the advantage of the Denso/NGK plugs you listed? Spark power, longevity, or something else my brain can't think of?

Yes - The NGK R racing plugs have iridium or platinum ground electrodes with a much higher melting point vs the iridium ix plugs having an iridium centre and nickel ground, so if you value your engine on a big dollar build you will run nothing else. A big detonation event or lean out and there goes your ground electrode through your cylinder.

Also they are available in colder heat ranges like 8 and 9 and have a concealed centre electrode which is helpful for large boost applications.

I personally have blown tips off the ix iridium plugs destroying my engine before and refuse to use anything else in a 400kw + engine now.

• Like 2

DENSO IK01 24 IRIDIUM Denso racing track race dedicated special spark  plugs|plug f|plug playerplug and play solar power - AliExpress

the ground strap is pure platinum, and very short which keeps it cool to avoid pre-ignition events. electrode is iridium with a pointed tip. gap is fixed to 0.7mm.

very concentrated electric field, ground strap very good at dissipating heat and resisting ablation. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, burn4005 said:

Shouldn't we be using NGK R7436 (JIS 53mm) instead of R7434 (ISO 50.5mm)?

On 11/01/2022 at 9:48 PM, R.3.2.G.T.R said:

Shouldn't we be using NGK R7436 (JIS 53mm) instead of R7434 (ISO 50.5mm)?

Yes that's exactly what I use on the 2.8. Having said that the plugs really jam into the R35 coilpacks hard - so much so that when you remove them the stalks usually come away from coilpack and get stuck on the plug which is totally annoying, requiring the entire one piece coil bracket to be removed to retrieve them. This is using the Godzilla motorsports bracket with R35 coils, so a PRP bracket might not have this problem if the spacing to plug is slightly higher.

The iso shorter length appears it would be a better fit I believe than the longer jic length but am yet to confirm this.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 1:54 PM, GTSBoy said:

Some dielectric grease perhaps?

Could try it maybe, but it does appear that the R35 coilpack setup has always felt like the standard jic length, which is the correct ones for RBs, is the culprit. Comparing to stock or splitfires it's definitely more noticeably tight with R35 coilpacks with a BCPR type jic plug.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason @burn4005 is using the iso length instead of the jic as that 3mm shorter plug makes them fit the coil a bit nicer.

It's not that bad really, I'm just a bit pedantic and notice these types of things. The important thing is these plugs definitely are the best in the business.