SAU Community

Rubber - how restore/ bring back to life?

sonic99

You can try 303 aerospace protectant that stuff works good on rubbers and plastic.

On 29/11/2021 at 8:35 PM, Duncan said:

those seals are available new from nissan

On 30/11/2021 at 5:59 AM, joshuaho96 said:

This thread reminded me to order them. LH side is discontinued for R33s, we’ll see if it ever comes back.

Do you guys have the part no. For the RH side rubber?

On 30/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, Duncan said:

I don't have the part# handy, but all 4 (LH/RH door and cabin side) seals are listed on efisolutions.com.au

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/search-results?q=r32 seal

Thanks duncan, im looking for R33 rubbers.

Can't seem to find the one that looks like the r32's, the only r33 i can find doesn't look like it goes around the side mirror.

On 11/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, dyl33 said:

You can try 303 aerospace protectant that stuff works good on rubbers and plastic.

Do you guys have the part no. For the RH side rubber?

It's listed on the EPC under "front door panel and fitting", original part number for the RH is 80220-22U00, LH is 80221-22U00. Should bring up the superceding part numbers. The LH is definitely discontinued but might come back under another part number at laughable cost under the Nismo Heritage Parts program, if they made the RH side as recently as last year they might do it for the LH side if they think they can sell out their MOQ. RH is an open question, I have no idea if they're still available but we'll see if my order goes through. To get that one stupid rubber piece you have to buy the entire assembly. In classic Nissan fashion the part was barely painted from the factory so they tend to be extremely rusty when pulled out of the door, so to do the repair "properly" you need to mask off the rubber and get it painted so it doesn't rust again. Looking around you should also expect to spend a lot of time with the door disassembled and adjusting it so the window slides correctly as it seems to be a guide rail for the pillarless windows.

This Minkara blog talks about the production dates on their parts, they mention that the driver side part run seems to be relatively recent (2020?) while the passenger side is much older, more like 2016: https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/322508/car/2941721/6237254/note.aspx

On 11/29/2021 at 6:21 PM, Duncan said:

I don't have the part# handy, but all 4 (LH/RH door and cabin side) seals are listed on efisolutions.com.au

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/search-results?q=r32 seal

The R32 has a different design, you only need the door rubber seal 80830-04U10 RH and 80831-04U10 LH instead of buying an entire structural component of the door like the R33. I don't really understand why Nissan didn't make the rubber weatherstripping a separate piece like the R32s even if they wanted to have the glass guide be a separate component in the door.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, PLYNX said:

Toluene or Xylene will probably remove it

DON'T get it on anything else

As a general rule I thought hydrocarbons and rubber don't mix? I got a bunch of penetrating oil and other fun stuff on some old hoses as I was taking my engine apart and it was really obvious that it damaged them. I wouldn't risk taking anything like that to rubber I actually wanted to keep.

On 1/12/21 at 3:04 PM, PLYNX said:

You only need to wipe off the white "oxidization" off the surface of the rubber with a dampend cloth

You’re right. It’s been days since I wiped that spot and it’s still as per the “after” photo attached in my original post 😀

• 1 month later...

AFAIK you can't replace only the rubber seal you need to buy the entire corner piece assembly. LHS is discontinued & RHS is available under a new part # H0220-22U00. Is that you Nissan Scam Program??

I've had great results restoring the rubber using a black vinyl dye product called Forever Black. 

spacer.png