SAU Community

R34 GTR Pricing query

On 12/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, burn4005 said:

I've got a 34. bought it early 2010s to mod and track. car sits at home with an outrageous insurance premium.

its an investment, not a car I enjoy now. which is sad.

#################

Dunno why you deleted the above?

It raises some valid points though and mirrors part of my views back when I sold. 

Buying or keeping as an investment is as a valid a reason as any, but not for me. 

I was also thinking that the market has moved and we have a new type of buyer for whom the purchase price isn't a factor and don't bat an eyelid on dropping bulk coin for very high level mods/repairs etc so the value proposition is still fine. 

Maybe If i was richer I would have felt differently about it too?

Guys,

Many thanks for your comments and detailed feedback.

@soviet_merlin, thanks, I've been doing this trick as well! I was really surprised when some sold around $200,000 and even a couple rarer ones more than $300k. I fell off my chair all those times.

There were some sellers playing hit n' run with the prices, with one changing price every couple of days by +/- $10k to $25k like it's the new crypto.

Recently, I've seen a few notifications where they've been put "On hold", and no updates since then.

Steady 140 - 150 Skylines on sale, with 6 - 10 R34 GTRs. These BNR34 prices have made the R32s and R33s go to crazy amounts as well.

@junkie@djvoodoo@GTSBoy@joshuaho96; The investor/Hot Wheels collection sentiment is OK but that's the thing that hurts me slightly. I want to say more but I'll keep it to myself for now :)

@ActionDan@r32-25t Thanks Dan for your thoughts on this topic. Basically, from everyone's POV, the consensus is quite similar on the price side of things. The nostalgia, video game and movie tax is really heavy on this one. Wish they were still manufacturing these variants lol.

I've been hoping that there will be a time when the hype will die down a bit, to bring the prices to more realistic levels. But I doubt it because of the US market. Due to these crazy prices, I've started to invest heavily in stocks and what not.

I've had the dream since 2005 and feels like it's definitely gone now. Even if the moolah was there or was growing on trees, I would still probably feel like not buying it just on the merit of principle - because IMHO these are definitely not worth it (as much as I love them).

Maybe I would feel differently if there were a few extra 0s in the bank balance.

Just me crying :/

You can get a LOT of very excellent cars for 200k, you can even get 4 very decent ones. 

It's a luxury purchase now, lets see what the future holds. I've watched GT-R prices move around a lot in the last 20yrs, who knows what the next 20 has in store as other desirable cars become less popular/more affordable or if that will even matter?

I think the owners in that market are going to work very hard to keep prices up though.