SAU Community

Car smelling like petrol R33 GTR S2

Hey folks, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I just bought a 33 GTR about a week ago. Fairly basic car (mods are PFC, exhaust, boost, front mount). I filled up as soon as I bought it and was driving it around for a few days and everything was good.

I then filled up again a couple of days later and after I got in the car there was a strong petrol smell the whole way home. I thought I might have stepped in petrol or something so I chose to ignore it. Next day, jumped in and it didn't smell that bad. Went for a drive and the smell disappeared. Then, all of the sudden the smell came back and it was strong! I checked the engine bay, no leaks. I checked under the car, no leaks. I took the boot apart to see if there was petrol or anything at all, no leaks. I'm stumped! I read up online that it could be the seals on the fuel pump but wouldn't that mean that the smell would be constant? 

Any advise on where to start would be greatly appreciated. 

Also check the fuel filler neck isn't leaking and the tank is pressurized when you undo the fuel cap.

Happened with a couple of my R33s.

Noticed fuel fumes venting out of the tank flap in my side mirror 

@GTSBoy I'll have a look when I go downstairs again but even if it's removed wouldn't the smell be coming somewhere from the engine bay? I'm like 80% sure it's coming from the boot near fuel pump area. 

@PLYNX the tank is definitely not pressurised. I noticed that the first time I went to fill up and every time I open up the tank since it's just twisting off super easy. No pressure at all. How do I access the fuel filler neck? 

@Duncan Sydney. After the last comment, I'm starting to think it's the issue with the fuel filler neck. Advice on next steps? 

On 13/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, Mlads33 said:

Also @Duncan I've tried adding info to profile but keep getting EX1364 error - am I f**king something up or...?

@PranK over to you :)

Back in the olden days, an unleaded fuel restrictor had to be fitted into the filler neck to stop you putting leaded fuel in (even though that hasn't been available for about 20 years). Compliers would stick the restrictor in with silicone and it often wasn't fuel safe so they would degrade over time.  You can check for all of the fuel sealing issues by parking it in the sun for a few hours, then opening the filler cap. If it doesn't release some pressure you have a leak in the system which could be

Fuel cap

Filler neck seal/unleaded restrictor

Fuel neck to tank

Fuel pump lid or seal

Carbon cannister system (should seal unless engine is running)

Thanks @Duncan! I've got a big feeling it's the fuel neck to tank. When I open the fuel cap, there's like a 5 cm separation from the neck to the cap. Now, I'm not sure what it's meant to look like on R33s but it seems to me like that's meant to be flush against the cap. 

If this is the issue? Any tips on how to go about fixing it? 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:10 AM, Mlads33 said:

even if it's removed wouldn't the smell be coming somewhere from the engine bay?

Could be anything from anywhere. That's the problem with carbon canisters. They are such simple things in concept, but there are so many ways for morons to interfere with them so they don't work properly.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Or could be the seal where the fuel tank lid goes, perhaps whoever changed the fuel pump in the past cocked up the installation.

Mate, this sounds very promising. f**kin' reeks as soon as I fill up then dissipates over time. Just to be clear - seal on the inside, not the cap itself? 

On 13/12/2021 at 12:40 PM, Mlads33 said:

Mate, this sounds very promising. f**kin' reeks as soon as I fill up then dissipates over time. Just to be clear - seal on the inside, not the cap itself? 

Hope this helps :)

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/fuel-tank-seal-s14-s15-r32-r33-r34-wc34-c11-t30-t3

It sits between the tank and the fuel tank lid (whatever it's called) followed by a locking ring around it. Can be a CNUT to take off with out the tool, but a piece of wood and a small hammer gets it off pretty easy. When re-installing I suggest some form of lubricant like lithium grease or KY lolol

• Like 1

On 13/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hope this helps :)

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/fuel-tank-seal-s14-s15-r32-r33-r34-wc34-c11-t30-t3

It sits between the tank and the fuel tank lid (whatever it's called) followed by a locking ring around it. Can be a CNUT to take off with out the tool, but a piece of wood and a small hammer gets it off pretty easy. When re-installing I suggest some form of lubricant like lithium grease or KY lolol

Thanks man! I've just ordered the part and will start ripping shit out this weekend. Any tips, tutorials, or anything else you can point me to? 

On 13/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, Mlads33 said:

Thanks man! I've just ordered the part and will start ripping shit out this weekend. Any tips, tutorials, or anything else you can point me to? 

Just search for a fuel pump change tutorial or post here.

Should be the same (minus the fuel pump swap)

• Like 1

On 14/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, tridentt150v said:

very affordable too, should have looked into something back then lol... I grazed my knuckles and lots of F & C bombs were dropped LOL

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

Just an update in case anyone is interested...

I ended up getting to the fuel pump and the cap was essentially welded on. The person that worked on the car before was definitely doing something there because when I managed to get the cap off, the seal that was meant to be there was just thrown into the petrol tank. Literally - just floating around in there. No signs of damage or wear at all. The bloke would've been having a shit day and just decided "screw it" and thrown the seal in the tank. 

Put a new seal on, pieced everything together and the petrol smell was gone. Thanks everyone! 

• Like 5