SAU Community

Cusco lsd for R32 gtr.

khezz

I have an early R32 gtr. So my LSD options are limited. Cusco make both front and rear lsd for early R32 gtr. They are quite cheap also. Has anyone used cusco lsd?

For drag/roll racing, what arrangement would suit best. 2 way both front and rear? Goal is an 8 second time slip.

Thank you.

Ps. Car will be used for cruise street duties also. No circuit though. 

From what I’ve been told mechanical lsd’s can be harsh when in the front diff, for street duties quaife seems to be what most use, and they are really good for drag/roll racing.

For rear, obviously quaife use a 31 spline centre so to use it in your current diff (which if it’s an early model 32) you’ll need 31spline half shafts, which are hard to come by, I think Cusco would be fine, I know Nismo do a 29spline diff kit which comes with new half shafts as well as centre, can be bought through just Jap and probably JDM garage. 
On mine I sent the ring and pinion gears of both front and rear diff to Neat gearboxes and had them shot peened. If you got the coin, Neat actually make new ring and pinion gears for front and rear diff, better material and rated much stronger then stock but your looking at 2k each end. 

I have a quaife in the front and a factory rear with nismo plates, because the rear diff in the gtr is already a mechanical diff by adding some plates that make it stiffer is a cheaper way of ending up with the same result as replacing the entire center 

On 28/12/2021 at 8:23 AM, Dorifudo said:

I’ve got a Cusco 1way front and factory rear with nismo plates, I highly don’t recommend Cusco for a street car as it is quite harsh

What do you mean by harsh? Sorry, don't have allot of experience with front LSDs.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:41 PM, khezz said:

What do you mean by harsh? Sorry, don't have allot of experience with front LSDs.

Have you ever tried to do a turn in a 4x4 engaged with full lock on dry tarmac? It makes some horrific noises as an immovable object meets an unstoppable force. In SUVs the owner's manual will mention a rollover risk if you try it. All four wheels have to turn at different speeds in a turn, especially during parking lot maneuvers at full lock. Modern street-oriented performance cars solve the problems of a mechanical LSD being too harsh for the street or not locking up enough for the track by using electronics to adjust how much the LSD locks or unlocks depending upon the steering angle and all that other fun stuff. The R33 and R34 VSpec have an early version of this but as far as I can tell people don't really like the A-LSD.

On 28/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, khezz said:

The lsd is quite aggressive, so when turning corners at low speed, it clunks and hops, the steering is fighting you as well. At medium speed it’s fine. I personally would go for either quaife or ats

Considering the money I'm putting into the build and my power and performance goals, I would like to go for new centres if possible. Just trying replace as much 30 year old load bearing parts as possible. Nismo quaife only seem to make s2 r32 centres.

• 3 months later...
On 28/12/2021 at 9:27 PM, khezz said:

Considering the money I'm putting into the build and my power and performance goals, I would like to go for new centres if possible. Just trying replace as much 30 year old load bearing parts as possible. Nismo quaife only seem to make s2 r32 centres.

How'd you go with the diffs ? I run Quaife front and rear in the 32 and did the 31 spline rear stub axle upgrade with new ones when they were available. For the front just get the ATS or Quaife direct fit front centre.

If you have your heart set on a 31 spline only diff for the rear like the Quaife or OS giken, the driveshaft shop does 31 spline full stub to hub driveshaft axle replacements. Failing that for the 31 spline stub axle, you can still obtain them frequently on Yahoo auctions, but they are discontinued new now. I helped locate a couple of sets last year.

• Like 1

Speedtech make upgraded axles to any specs so that’s sorted. Looking at going DSS carbon driveshaft. I’ll probably run OS diff at the front. I keep getting told to service the rear diff and leave it until it lets go because they are very strong. I’m considering going full spool though as the car will be for drag and roll racing mostly and they are the best for even power delivery and strength.  Apparently they are ok on the street accept for tight low speed turns (mostly parking). 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, GTSBoy said:

Yeah, nah. They are f**king awful for anything other than full throttle.

Are you running one? Which brand? I used to have one in my BA XR6T and it wasn’t too bad. I guess it up to the individual. 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, khezz said:

Are you running one?

Nah. But have driven rally cars with solid diffs, Silvias and so on. Just a lot of clunking and banging and understeer and hoping that nothing else breaks for all the loading and instant unloading of the driveline as the tyres grip and let go.

I didn’t get any of that. The tyres chirped when I did tight turns. Maybe it was the tyres or the auto with a higher (3500) stall.