SAU Community

No one doing any dyno work?

khezz

Are people not doing any dyno work anymore or just not posting results anymore?

Haven't seen any updates at all in months. I love reading the combos and the results. Reaching out to people, asking more questions. 

Would be great to see those stickies show up in bold again. Post some updates. This is what a forum is all about. Isn't it?

To be honest (and it may be just the groups I am in) the concept of aftermarket performance has strongly disappeared.

Almost all of the posts I see about Skylines (and silvias etc) are bodykit/paint/styling things now and very little (if anything) else at all.

On 28/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, Kinkstaah said:

To be honest (and it may be just the groups I am in) the concept of aftermarket performance has strongly disappeared.

Almost all of the posts I see about Skylines (and silvias etc) are bodykit/paint/styling things now and very little (if anything) else at all.

you need new groups

• Like 7

It's a shame if the best part of owning a skyline is dying off. It's never been easier to make power. You read the first few pages and see how much effort it took to double your cars output then to now. It's staggering how far performance parts and tuning has come. 600hp+ is run of the mill now. 

Follow Birrong Automotive, Alex has been posting up stuff of the top dollar GT-Rs he builds.

Like others have said, most of us just waiting on trades or parts or powder coater etc.

I myself am waiting on the powder coater, then mechanic to fit all new bushing. Then it's time to crank out some baby numbers (not worth mentioning since it's heaps less than 745kW).

There was a 32, 33, 34 and a 35 GTR's at WSID last Wednesday

Maybe the owners are actually using their cars and not just putting them on a dyno for instalikes......

Or they are all broken......😜

• Haha 2

On 12/28/2021 at 10:51 PM, khezz said:

hard to believe that out thousands of skyline owners on this forum every one is waiting on stuff and no one has hit the rollers in the last 6 months.

Apart from WA, most of Australia has been in some form of lockdown or restricted movement over the past 6 months. Most cruises and meets have been cancelled. Add to that, parts shortages, shipping delays globally, manufacturing costs increasing, metal and alloy trade wars with China etc etc, it's taking months for fabrication and work in general to be finished by workshops.

You also have labour shortages and people who have lost jobs etc due to Covid. The forums in general have also slowed down as people move onto social media platforms (Insta/ Facebook groups)

Plus - These days most workshops are posting their customers dyno sheets on their own Facebook pages as a way to promote their business. 

Think bigger picture.

Edited by djvoodoo
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2021 at 5:21 AM, mlr said:

There was a 32, 33, 34 and a 35 GTR's at WSID last Wednesday

Maybe the owners are actually using their cars and not just putting them on a dyno for instalikes......

Or they are all broken......😜

I believe that last part immediately. 

I miss the days when skyline owners did most of the work and modifications themselves or got there fellow skyline friends and mates of mates around to help them do there cars. But these days people have a bunch of money then get on to sites like this one and ask all the questions that need asked then go to there big fat bank account and recommended workshop tell them what they want pay the bucks and then get back on to the forums and tell everyone what great power they have what it cost them and how good the workshop built there car. I myself belong to the latter. I built my car only got the machine shop to do the milling did my own painting and had welding shops to weld up different things i wanted manufactured. I did transmission motor building myself i even used parts in my car and got critised and told they were no good and yet i have been driving my car on the road for the past 8 - 9 years on bp98 it has been on the dyno twice ans still has 473HP -352KW at the rear wheels with 15psi of boost. Built my own engine gearbox sorted out my own suspension upholstery everything else myself. Now a day its special fuels huge injectors stroked engines massive boost all this extra power must be bitch to drive on the road not to mention traction problems. I think that is why nobody posts there builds anymore the fun has gone. I see people asking questions on the forums now and instead of an answer they get told its been covered before or just plain get paid out because they may ask a dumb question definately not as welcoming on online forums as it was 10-15 years ago.                           

• Like 1

On 29/12/2021 at 9:23 PM, Dasmbo said:

I miss the days when skyline owners did most of the work and modifications themselves or got there fellow skyline friends and mates of mates around to help them do there cars. But these days people have a bunch of money then get on to sites like this one and ask all the questions that need asked then go to there big fat bank account and recommended workshop tell them what they want pay the bucks and then get back on to the forums and tell everyone what great power they have what it cost them and how good the workshop built there car. I myself belong to the latter. I built my car only got the machine shop to do the milling did my own painting and had welding shops to weld up different things i wanted manufactured. I did transmission motor building myself i even used parts in my car and got critised and told they were no good and yet i have been driving my car on the road for the past 8 - 9 years on bp98 it has been on the dyno twice ans still has 473HP -352KW at the rear wheels with 15psi of boost. Built my own engine gearbox sorted out my own suspension upholstery everything else myself. Now a day its special fuels huge injectors stroked engines massive boost all this extra power must be bitch to drive on the road not to mention traction problems. I think that is why nobody posts there builds anymore the fun has gone. I see people asking questions on the forums now and instead of an answer they get told its been covered before or just plain get paid out because they may ask a dumb question definately not as welcoming on online forums as it was 10-15 years ago.                           

I half agree. I bought my gtr 15 years ago and even in Perth there was some sort of event on every other week. Dyno days, show and shine, cruises or just workshop BBQ. It's been over 5 years since I have been to any of those. As I see it, there are 3 reasons for the change. Main reason is us.

Reason 1.

I am not 25, I am 40. Shortly after buying the gtr I met a girl who became my wife. I agreed to put the car on hold to sort out the wedding, house, kids. Very quickly that hold was 10 years. I now have a better job. She also has a better job. We know how to save and budget. Time is worth more to me than money. I know enough about my car to be able to pull it apart and probably build it again with help from my mechanic friends but I don't have the time (or tools or space). Plus it's my unicorn. It's my THE CAR. I will most likely never own a European hyper car. I'm ok with that. Built right, my gtr will be faster then any if them. That's why it's the car for me. Built right is the key.

Reason 2

I hate my self for saying it. COVID. People are pulling triggers on hobbies. There is nothing else to do. So if I need something to look towards. When this is finaly past us I don't want to feel like I have been in hibernation. I want to have done something. So yeah my 600whp streeter has mutated into a 1200whp freak. It may be harder to drive (time will tell). But when I kick it in the guts it will kick me right back and I will never forget it. So I will spend more of my savings, postpone the holiday and look forward to something that won't be restricted by a mask.

Reason 3.

Laugh all you want. Fast and Furious. I was in inaloo on the opening night of the first film. They had promo girls, characters from film and riced up cars right in the lobby. Not a single guy took a photo with a girl in the mini skirt. The line to see the cars with neon lights and polished turbos was epic. Everyone who had a japanese brand car was getting exhausts and neons and stereos and wheels and decals. It planted a seed that atleast for me, never died. It was the right movie, at the right time for the right crowd. Next 2 weren't as ground braking but it was still about cars. Then, it wasn't. It was another action flick with cars in it. We stopped catching up as much, we didn't cruise as much. We grew up and changed.

I half disagree. I have been a member here for a few years now. Not once have I been told "do a search, it's been covered, stupid question." I'm know I have asked stuff that has been covered buts always evolving, new people, new ideas, new tech, new views and more experience. Yes, people post less (more dyno results please). Content is still great and so are the members.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting topic and some great points above.

The whole scene has changed. Most of us long termers bought Skylines when they were cheap.  We were willing to do our own work on them because you wouldn't get slammed over cheap mods because it was a cheap car. Now, I think some people are too scared of A) not de-valuing their car and B) getting roasted for it on social media.  I definitely second guess a lot of the stuff I do on my car whereas 5 years ago I wouldn't have cared! God, before the boom I was going to chop mine up, whack a cage in it and make it into a track car....

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, K_arlstrom said:

Mine is in a sad state... Life caught up, gotta spend the money on the house like a boring grownup 😅

Fix car to sell and get the house in order, or take it slow with my home as a priority... (I hate it, but I get to keep the car)

That's a good way to be though. There's plenty of blokes dropping cash on cars while renting. Be interesting how it all pans out in 20 years.....

On 29/01/2022 at 1:46 AM, Ben C34 said:

That's a good way to be though. There's plenty of blokes dropping cash on cars while renting. Be interesting how it all pans out in 20 years.....

It sure will! And then it's the balance between need and want.

I've also had a change of heart like Shoota_77, the skyline boom made it too valuable (imho) to have it as a track toy. Now I want it to be more of a gt car

Nothings really changed for me. I’ve always wanted mine to be a very fast street car and that is what I’m still building, it was always a rule that I won’t cut holes in it and the only ones I have drilled is for some rivnuts in the boot to hold things. 

it’s just ended up a lot faster then I ever expected it to be and lucky for me there’s now things like roll racing where I can use it to its full potential

• Like 2