SAU Community

No one doing any dyno work?

khezz

On 29/01/2022 at 10:18 AM, K_arlstrom said:

Mine is in a sad state... Life caught up, gotta spend the money on the house like a boring grownup 😅

Fix car to sell and get the house in order, or take it slow with my home as a priority... (I hate it, but I get to keep the car)

Mod home, manufacture equity, go balls deep with Skyline.

On 30/01/2022 at 1:19 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Mod home, manufacture equity, go balls deep with Skyline.

Im already balls deep with an empty (slightly) rusted shell 😂 

Sure will mod the house, already got skyline parts all over it! Haha

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:23 AM, Dasmbo said:

I miss the days when skyline owners did most of the work and modifications themselves or got there fellow skyline friends and mates of mates around to help them do there cars. But these days people have a bunch of money then get on to sites like this one and ask all the questions that need asked then go to there big fat bank account and recommended workshop tell them what they want pay the bucks and then get back on to the forums and tell everyone what great power they have what it cost them and how good the workshop built there car. I myself belong to the latter. I built my car only got the machine shop to do the milling did my own painting and had welding shops to weld up different things i wanted manufactured. I did transmission motor building myself i even used parts in my car and got critised and told they were no good and yet i have been driving my car on the road for the past 8 - 9 years on bp98 it has been on the dyno twice ans still has 473HP -352KW at the rear wheels with 15psi of boost. Built my own engine gearbox sorted out my own suspension upholstery everything else myself. Now a day its special fuels huge injectors stroked engines massive boost all this extra power must be bitch to drive on the road not to mention traction problems. I think that is why nobody posts there builds anymore the fun has gone. I see people asking questions on the forums now and instead of an answer they get told its been covered before or just plain get paid out because they may ask a dumb question definately not as welcoming on online forums as it was 10-15 years ago.                           

Mates and I were talking about this over the weekend. Part of the reason why there are no more "home built" engines are due to workshops turning people away for liability and insurance. I.E - If i build an engine in my back shed, and the workshop puts it on the dyno and it blows up due to a mechanical issue, who foots the bill? I mean.. You are the one who built it at home, the workshop would have no idea what or how you've built the car.

These days the workshops don't want that headache or social media scrutiny. XYZ shop blew up my motor, they are shit.

They would rather have you front up the money, they build it, warranty it etc. The workshop can then at least give you some assurances that the motor will last, and if it does blow up, then you, the customer should have some financial recovery of any costs involved in a rebuild.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 2:23 AM, Dasmbo said:

I miss the days when skyline owners did most of the work and modifications themselves or got there fellow skyline friends and mates of mates around to help them do there cars. But these days people have a bunch of money then get on to sites like this one and ask all the questions that need asked then go to there big fat bank account and recommended workshop tell them what they want pay the bucks and then get back on to the forums and tell everyone what great power they have what it cost them and how good the workshop built there car. I myself belong to the latter. I built my car only got the machine shop to do the milling did my own painting and had welding shops to weld up different things i wanted manufactured. I did transmission motor building myself i even used parts in my car and got critised and told they were no good and yet i have been driving my car on the road for the past 8 - 9 years on bp98 it has been on the dyno twice ans still has 473HP -352KW at the rear wheels with 15psi of boost. Built my own engine gearbox sorted out my own suspension upholstery everything else myself. Now a day its special fuels huge injectors stroked engines massive boost all this extra power must be bitch to drive on the road not to mention traction problems. I think that is why nobody posts there builds anymore the fun has gone. I see people asking questions on the forums now and instead of an answer they get told its been covered before or just plain get paid out because they may ask a dumb question definately not as welcoming on online forums as it was 10-15 years ago.                           

Still heaps of stuff going on out there, just a lot of people who do the investigation and development themselves no longer or at least rarely post on forums.  I can't speak for everyone, but I lost a lot of interest in sharing things in here as it reached a point where the main people interested in responding were the ones who were more interested in talking shxt than actually helping people learn and get better results and tech discussions consistently went downhill - so whether or not I have anything of value to share, it didn't seem like there was much point bringing it here.

One of the builds I have been involved with had an update recently, more modest than the big dollar builds but definitely fitting what you describe in your post.  This car is fully developed by the owner ( @Looney_Head ) with only help from his mates, no throwing big cash at the top brands or workshops to get things done.   Just lots of yarns, rums, headscratching and knuckle tearing in his garage.   There are plenty more of these around NZ, even in our group of friends and I am sure there is plenty of it going on in Oz too.... just maybe largely off the radar.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 8:51 AM, Lithium said:

Still heaps of stuff going on out there, just a lot of people who do the investigation and development themselves no longer or at least rarely post on forums.  I can't speak for everyone, but I lost a lot of interest in sharing things in here as it reached a point where the main people interested in responding were the ones who were more interested in talking shxt than actually helping people learn and get better results and tech discussions consistently went downhill - so whether or not I have anything of value to share, it didn't seem like there was much point bringing it here.

One of the builds I have been involved with had an update recently, more modest than the big dollar builds but definitely fitting what you describe in your post.  This car is fully developed by the owner ( @Looney_Head ) with only help from his mates, no throwing big cash at the top brands or workshops to get things done.   Just lots of yarns, rums, headscratching and knuckle tearing in his garage.   There are plenty more of these around NZ, even in our group of friends and I am sure there is plenty of it going on in Oz too.... just maybe largely off the radar.

It's unfortunate you feel that way.  I hate to think that anyone feels that way as an attitude like that (I'm not having a go at you by saying this) is what will cause the death of this forum.  Yes it's definitely changed in the 10 years I've been in the Skyline scene and I feel there are a lot of reasons why.  A big part of that is that up to 10 years ago we were all still in "discovery mode" where lots of people were experimenting with the Skylines to extract more out of them.  People were trying new things so asking for feedback on what people thought of doing "if I do x, y, z on my car, what do you think will be the result?"  Nowadays nearly everything has been done and apart from insane technological advances that are way out of reach at the moment (direct injection, electronic valves, electronic turbos, etc, etc) most things have been discovered.  On top of that the means of which to find that information are now completely different too.  With the size of Youtube these days there is a video for EVERYTHING so the reliance on forums of needing to ask for help has diminished.

What can help the forums?  I think everyone needs to keep that sharing and caring mentality.  If you do something cool or different or if you just do it yourself, share it.  Start a build blog and post your achievements.  Then, everyone needs to support those content creators and acknowledge their efforts.  It's a basic human need to have people acknowledge their efforts.  I'll be completely honest that I love the feedback on my page when someone complements something I've done.  Everyone would be the same so let's all be more supportive of each other, get invested in other peoples builds, less shit talking of people asking newby type questions (there is one, maybe 2 people very active on this forum that I shake my head at their negative comments all the time, it's just not necessary.  I won't mention your name but you should know who you are.  You're highly knowledgeable in the scene but you come across as a pig so just don't.....).  The last thing we want as a "community" is for new people to come along, ask an innocent question and get shot down in flames.  Some of them may never come back because of the instant hostility they feel the moment they walk through the door.  THAT is also going to bring an end to this page.

So, I'll get off my soapbox shortly but - share your discoveries, praise others on theirs and stop beating on the newbs and we'll all get along and the page will live on 😀.

• Like 4

If it wasn't for all the non-skyline, non-rb flavoured stuff there wouldn't be alot to read here

Still love a good GTR or GTS-T though

Don't see many used in anger anymore though, I would be refraining from bending or breaking them myself

I keep hearing the stories of people hunting for blocks or heads and either unable to find one within a budget, or the parts they get are rubbish 

Meh, I'll buy a R32 GTR when I win lotto, until then, I'll not read about then hitting the dyno

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:51 AM, Lithium said:

thanks for the plug Lith :) yeah i still have mine and update the build thread, its slow going but i'm slowly getting there. still umming and ahhing about ethrottle on it with non-driven wheel speed. it would be nice to get kicked out of the drags for running a 10 in a rwd car lol.

Shoota, keep plugging away mate, your thread is a hoot to read.

I think car people have declined a bit and the people who are buying the skylines now arent as interested in power and more owning a car they like the look of. Otherwise it will be people who dont DIY, send it to a workshop to be built and then post the result on {Insert cool social media platform}. No need to come on here and ask any questions as its all being done by the shop.

Also i dont think you can underestimate how many people also just go european now for easy, proven ways to modify cars. I recently replaced my skyline with a BMW, and I get the appeal of the european tuning method. i.e. everyone buys the same intercooler, downpipe and intake. the tunes are all made around this and for not much money you get a lot of power quickly, reliably and cheaply. Sure it is not unique in anyway, but its easy. Every knows Stage 1 is X power, Stage 2 is Y and Stage 2+ is Z. If you want to go beyond, everyone buys the same aftermarket turbos and the tune you already own can cater for it. Change the fuel pump? No issue, tune already can cater for the most common aftermarket solution. Everyone buys the same thing so things are cheaper too. NOONE USES A DYNO! its so odd.....

The forums are boring though for the european cars as everyone has the exact same problem. You can almost time it, you know at 160,000kms the charge pipe and a coolant pipe will fail. If someone is having x issue, its always the same fix. Its not exciting, but its reliable (well more reliable than the skyline). The enjoyment is not as high, but its good enough.

So ive gone a bit off topic, but i think thats why you are seeing a reduction in the dyno sheets. people just dont like to DIY anymore.

And agree with mlr, its hard to use the skyline in anger anymore when you know replacement parts are going to send you broke!

• Like 4

Have been following this the last few weeks and held off, however my take on it all

• Ø  The people who bought an R32 GTR for $20k now do not want to modify it or track it as it is now a $80k car.. therefore it is too valuable to someone on a $20k budget to go and bin at the track or blow up on the dyno.  Same thing happened in the Porsche market in the early 2000s, once the cars move onto the next owners you will start to see more at the race track and being modified again, just as we are seeing Porsches at track days agains. Someone wanted a Porsche to go lap around the track, had the cash so went and did it as opposed to being worried about an off or a repair bill. It is the perception of value to the current owners.

• Ø  The younger crowd aren’t into the jappers anymore, I drive past a house in south perth regularly that usually has a  rolls Royce out front, there are 2 P platers cars regularly infront also, a brand new kitted out hilux and a brand new kitted out ranger.  Back in the day a similar P plater would have had a bombed supra, GTR or WRX etc. trends have moved on. Fast and the furious isn’t cool anymore.

• Ø  And as Tobz touched on above, it is so easy to get power out of the Euro stuff and still enjoy the creature comforts. I know two people with Audi RS3s with similar power to the GTR high 9 / low 10 ¼ mile mark, and they daily the RS3 whereas the GTR is an occasional car due to the fact it has no AC, is a rough ride, harnesses, half cage etc. . . . why drop 150k on an occasional car when for the same cash you can have a low 10sec daily with all the comforts and fly under the radar or cops, thieves and general hooligans for 80k. There are better options nowadays.

Like it or lump it the scene and the people have moved on. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2022 at 4:39 AM, RB25DETonation said:

hattori makes good points, thieves & high priced insurance makes them hardly useable 

I use mine all the time, I have 4 track days in the next month and will do the very rare maybe once a month lap down the coast.

On 31/01/2022 at 8:31 AM, djvoodoo said:

Mates and I were talking about this over the weekend. Part of the reason why there are no more "home built" engines are due to workshops turning people away for liability and insurance. I.E - If i build an engine in my back shed, and the workshop puts it on the dyno and it blows up due to a mechanical issue, who foots the bill? I mean.. You are the one who built it at home, the workshop would have no idea what or how you've built the car.

These days the workshops don't want that headache or social media scrutiny. XYZ shop blew up my motor, they are shit.

They would rather have you front up the money, they build it, warranty it etc. The workshop can then at least give you some assurances that the motor will last, and if it does blow up, then you, the customer should have some financial recovery of any costs involved in a rebuild.

Yes i agree with you there not many tuning places like to tune home built turbo cars i basicly had to sign a waver to get my enging tuned first time but i have had many years experience building high performance engines years ago so i had no problems in that department. Plus years ago i didnt cost as much to build and modify American and Australian cars. The Turbo Jap cars are much more expensive to modify and build and not many people can afford to throw endless money at there project my 33 cost me around 18 thousand to build and that was just the parts lucky i didnt have to pay for labour but i did build much stronger than needed and only have it mildly tuned. Like many years ago i have helped a couple of blokes up here in the northern rivers are to modify there cars and it will be interesting to see what figures they get when there finished and tuned. Id post my dyno sheets but lost them when i moved and my car is lucky to get driven 5000kms in a year i have owned it for 13 years and done 35000kms and have put 10000kms on the engine since the rebuild   

• 2 weeks later...