SAU Community

Silicone spray - safe on heater hoses?

sonic99

On 12/30/2021 at 6:42 PM, sonic99 said:

Someone just recommended I spray some silicone on the hoses inside the engine bay to give them some shine. Is this safe to do and if so what spray do you recommend?

Why would you do this? I use a very thin smear of o-ring grease (EPDM safe, but not silicone safe) on hose barbs to make them go on easier but I'm not sure this is recommended practice.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:18 PM, GTSBoy said:

This is another example of where "just spit on it!" is applicable.

I would tend to agree but almost all of the hoses I removed were rusted to the hose barb. Pulling on the hose after applying a thin smear of grease with the hose clamp in place it requires quite a lot of force to expand the clamp up and over the barb, so it seems ok to me. It's almost impossible to expand the clamp as-is over the barb, it's actually easier for me to pull the hose clamp away from the hose first to release the tension, then I can pull the loose hose off and then the hose clamp.

I'm sure I'm going to regret these words 3 weeks from now though when something blows off somehow and makes my life a huge pain.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:19 PM, sonic99 said:

This is precisely what he said:

“The eye picks up minor details so I'd start with some silicon spray first on the hoses to bring out some sheen”

I would not do this, wash your engine bay and call it a day. The important thing and therefore the hard part is to make sure your hoses don't have visible dry rot.

Edited by joshuaho96

On 12/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, sonic99 said:

“The eye picks up minor details so I'd start with some silicon spray first on the hoses to bring out some sheen”

I'm not trying to be homophobic here, but, which guys are you trying to impress with these actions? We all know that girls don't give a flying f**k about shiny radiator hoses (or almost anything else to do with cars) and I'd not really be looking to pull a root from many of those that are suchwise interested. And I'm certainly not looking to pull a root from any of the guys who would be impressed....so why bother impressing them? It's a 30 year old Datsun, ferchrissake.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, GTSBoy said:

I'm not trying to be homophobic here, but, which guys are you trying to impress with these actions? We all know that girls don't give a flying f**k about shiny radiator hoses (or almost anything else to do with cars) and I'd not really be looking to pull a root from many of those that are suchwise interested. And I'm certainly not looking to pull a root from any of the guys who would be impressed....so why bother impressing them? It's a 30 year old Datsun, ferchrissake.

Personally I love it when my hose is lubed...

It's generally a good day when my hose gets lubed. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 5:49 PM, sonic99 said:

The eye picks up minor details so I'd start with some silicon spray first on the hoses to bring out some sheen”

I would say get f**ked.

Sheen on hoses. Seriously. Shut the bonnet , do a skid into the sunset on the limiter. The eye will pick up on that.

• Like 1