SAU Community

Difference in oil filter quality?

The old owner of my 33 gtr recommended nismo oil filters. With the current shipping prices it would be expensive to buy these from japan, and i would rather not bulk buy 10 of them to justify the shipping. Are store bought mobil/k&n filters just as good? The car has 450hp from turbos, otherwise stock. 

Sorry for it having being asked before

On 1/1/2022 at 9:30 PM, Fredrik said:

The old owner of my 33 gtr recommended nismo oil filters. With the current shipping prices it would be expensive to buy these from japan, and i would rather not bulk buy 10 of them to justify the shipping. Are store bought mobil/k&n filters just as good? The car has 450hp from turbos, otherwise stock. 

If you're in the US you're looking for 15208-55Y0A which is the Nissan USA part number. Oil filters are not that complicated.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, Fredrik said:

The old owner of my 33 gtr recommended nismo oil filters.

And he probably drank that coffee that goes through a Civet's bum at USD750/kg. Us peasants use name brand filters at the best price. I also use 15208-55Y0A got a shrink wrap pack of 10 a few years ago for practically nothing from the local  stealer.

On 02/01/2022 at 3:30 PM, Fredrik said:

There are a few good youtube videos on oil filter comparisons analysing all aspects of them, not just filtration - mostly US brands but interesting to see the construction differences. I use Sakura oil filters over Ryco, as they're cheaper and have better construction in my opinion. I have used Nismo but i don't believe they're worth it.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, hardsteppa said:

There are a few good youtube videos on oil filter comparisons analysing all aspects of them, not just filtration - mostly US brands but interesting to see the construction differences. I use Sakura oil filters over Ryco, as they're cheaper and have better construction in my opinion. I have used Nismo but i don't believe they're worth it.

Construction does matter, in the sense that I've seen Fram/etc filters that don't even have the filter media glued together properly or lacking the OE spec anti-drainback valves or some stupid things like that. Personally I'm happy to run the Nissan oil filters just to never worry about stuff like that. Better oil filtration in gasoline engines is also mostly a false economy, even if you had a sub-micron bypass oil filter you need to drain the oil around OEM intervals anyways as gasoline motors tend to start creating oil sludge blocking VVT cam phasers and the like if you wait too long.

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i have an rb30 + t with cam, 1.5mm rear  restrictor and front blocked, with gtr oil pump. the ryco/ fram filter would always push 110 at start up, 80 wot and 40 plus at idle. i didnt like this.

i have now used 3 nismo filters and they have all been reliable at 60 start up 40 wot when warm and 20 at idle which i prefer.

FWIW

Edited by tubular
add information