SAU Community

g35-900 vs g35-1050 vs 6466

On 18/01/2022 at 3:56 PM, hattori hanzo said:

a lot of precision hate, have been running over 700hp for 5 years, last year or so over 800 🤞

Some of it is warranted, unlike the turbos they sell.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great little wu-tang whistler WHEN they work and don't fail/leak, but as has been stated quiet a few times, they are about as fragile as a coke addicted supermodel girlfriend.

I went back to a Garrett simply for the after sales service, parts availability and warranty in the event of a failure, and they are as tough as it gets in the nagasaki noisy boi world.

• Like 1

I have a g35-1050 on an rb26, started to wind boost into it and the head lifted. 

The response so far has been pretty similar to my old gt35 on rb26. 

1 bar by 4200/300, so its not amazing by any means. 

"If" it gets the extra power though over the gt35 it will be a good thing. 

Taking the chance of head off to add vcam, so hoping this combo will be really responsive.  

I have been wondering about going t4 split now they are out but will mean going from the .86 I have not to the 1.06 as noted above.  Not to mention the cost of manifold, housing, etc. 

• Like 4

On 19/01/2022 at 1:46 PM, Butters said:

I have been wondering about going t4 split now they are out but will mean going from the .86 I have not to the 1.06 as noted above.  Not to mention the cost of manifold, housing, etc. 

I'm a firm believer that going twin scroll will make all the difference, even with a larger rear turbine housing.

On 19/01/2022 at 9:25 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I'm a firm believer that going twin scroll will make all the difference, even with a larger rear turbine housing.

Some testing done by Hypergear between OS and TS.

3065DDB4-830A-4869-B540-2262ABC8A299.png

• Like 4

On 20/01/2022 at 5:24 AM, Piggaz said:

Some testing done by Hypergear between OS and TS.

3065DDB4-830A-4869-B540-2262ABC8A299.png

Proof right there!

Great article here too:

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-scroll-vs-single-scroll-turbo-test-the-great-divide/

Most car enthusiasts these days are too fixated on the final peak number they're producing, but often neglect to look at the low down, mid range, etc. Sure you're making 746kW (call it 1000hp so you sound cool quoting big numbers), but it's not going to be a fun car to drive, especially when you have like a 2k RPM range. It's kind of like a Honda, you need to rev the tits out of it to get anywhere.

• Like 1

Both that graph and article suggest a spool of ~250rpm earlier. 

Not to be sneezed at if you want a street car, specially with no top end loss. 

Wondering if it will end up equal on spool going from .86 to 1.06 but have the extra top end. 

Any one have rear housing back to backs ?

On 20/01/2022 at 1:49 PM, Butters said:

Both that graph and article suggest a spool of ~250rpm earlier. 

Not to be sneezed at if you want a street car, specially with no top end loss. 

Wondering if it will end up equal on spool going from .86 to 1.06 but have the extra top end. 

Any one have rear housing back to backs ?

I don't have the data or facts, however if you're going to use a properly divided manifold and a divided rear turbine housing you might end up with a tiny bit better spool!

I'll try dig up a comparison done on an EVO between open scroll and a T4 1.06 I came across years ago when I was researching the real world difference with open vs twins scroll.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:46 PM, Butters said:

I have a g35-1050 on an rb26, started to wind boost into it and the head lifted. 

The response so far has been pretty similar to my old gt35 on rb26. 

1 bar by 4200/300, so its not amazing by any means. 

"If" it gets the extra power though over the gt35 it will be a good thing. 

Taking the chance of head off to add vcam, so hoping this combo will be really responsive.  

I'm probably going to stick to the 6466 then with a twin scroll .83. IF it does disintegrate as a lot of you are saying it probably will then ill go with a G35 of some kind. Id rather have good response and if I ever want more power down the line then ill move up.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Proof right there!

Great article here too:

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-scroll-vs-single-scroll-turbo-test-the-great-divide/

Most car enthusiasts these days are too fixated on the final peak number they're producing, but often neglect to look at the low down, mid range, etc. Sure you're making 746kW (call it 1000hp so you sound cool quoting big numbers), but it's not going to be a fun car to drive, especially when you have like a 2k RPM range. It's kind of like a Honda, you need to rev the tits out of it to get anywhere.

I feel offended 😂 

35psi ~4300rpm +/-

1000hp ~ 5100rpm-7800 +/-

FB_IMG_1558774008162.jpg

• Like 3

So in summary, it seems that without divided housings and a serious lack of real world data on RB's the G Series is a bit of a flop.

I love this quote about the Precisoins "they are about as fragile as a coke addicted supermodel girlfriend."

I suppose it's back to EFR's then with low quality casting and high price tags.

Not a great comparison, however this is on Alex from Birrong Automotive's personal weekender

G40-900, twin scroll, on a (as he calls it) basic 3.2L 2JZ and drop in cams made 574kW at the rear hubs with boost dropping down to about 2.1bar towards the rev limiter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWp1MLnBIQ3/

On 10/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Not a great comparison, however this is on Alex from Birrong Automotive's personal weekender

G40-900, twin scroll, on a (as he calls it) basic 3.2L 2JZ and drop in cams made 574kW at the rear hubs with boost dropping down to about 2.1bar towards the rev limiter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWp1MLnBIQ3/

That’s a pretty impressive, not sure how it would go on a smaller engine though

atp do a g35 with a 1.06 t4 twin scroll rear on it which I think would work well 

On 10/02/2022 at 12:00 PM, Komdotkom said:

So in summary, it seems that without divided housings and a serious lack of real world data on RB's the G Series is a bit of a flop.

I love this quote about the Precisoins "they are about as fragile as a coke addicted supermodel girlfriend."

I suppose it's back to EFR's then with low quality casting and high price tags.

through recent research given this is my current situation though for me track with sequential so lag doesnt matter such such seems general summary give or take for various different engine combos and mods for rb26 to rb28

Garrett trades at 20%ish discount to peak power figures given on 30 - 32 psi and need big rear housing to reduce back pressure issues  g35 900 = 700 - 720 rwhp can be pokeyish and g35 1050 = 750 - 800 rwhp prob pretty laggy both can fall over at the top a bit

Precision at 10%ish discount to power given at 30 - 32psi = high 700's to low 800's apparently pretty much hit the mark on the dot peak power around 35 - 36% psi - need biggish rear housing lag not too bad - wont fall over

so from 3 given here you either go a punchy 700hp with g35 900 with 1.01 or 1.21 rear or 800 hp with 6466 Precision with 1.01

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2022 at 10:33 AM, 33GTRV said:

Some of it is warranted, unlike the turbos they sell.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great little wu-tang whistler WHEN they work and don't fail/leak, but as has been stated quiet a few times, they are about as fragile as a coke addicted supermodel girlfriend.

I went back to a Garrett simply for the after sales service, parts availability and warranty in the event of a failure, and they are as tough as it gets in the nagasaki noisy boi world.

What garret did you go, and is it comparable to the 6466 for power and response? Any back to back dyno?

Have currently got a GTW3884r 67mm. With the .84 rear it was very similar to the precision, but now has a 1.0 rear on it. with the smaller rear, i dont think it would have made the same power as the 6466, however it will with the 1.0 rear and the trade off is around 500rpm. Made 500awkw at 28psi with that rear, and i will throw another 10 pound at it in the coming months. No back to back sorry though. I just use a mates Dyno and we get on the piss and do a few cars at a time, so the sheets are not high on our list, beer and fun times are. Also a big believer of the moroso calculator.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...