SAU Community

Knock sensor housing

If by housing you mean you cracked the boss off the block, then......wtf? Actually, how the f**k?

Anyway, yes, you could tap the boss in between. It's not ideal, because it obviously won't be hearing the same things in that location that it would in the original location (ie, it'll be much further away from cylinder 6 than the original location)....but it will still "work".

When you say "I tried JB weld".....do you mean that you attempted to stick the broken chunk of cast iron back on with JB weld in the crack? Because that obviously won't work. You could probably jam a blob of JB weld/Devcon/Selleys gorilla snot onto the damaged area, then drill out and tap the hole, and possibly have it stay put.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:09 PM, GTSBoy said:

If by housing you mean you cracked the boss off the block, then......wtf? Actually, how the f**k?

Anyway, yes, you could tap the boss in between. It's not ideal, because it obviously won't be hearing the same things in that location that it would in the original location (ie, it'll be much further away from cylinder 6 than the original location)....but it will still "work".

When you say "I tried JB weld".....do you mean that you attempted to stick the broken chunk of cast iron back on with JB weld in the crack? Because that obviously won't work. You could probably jam a blob of JB weld/Devcon/Selleys gorilla snot onto the damaged area, then drill out and tap the hole, and possibly have it stay put.

I’m still trying to figure the how part out myself. I put it in finger tight and went to do another quarter turn for good measure and it just snapped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, OrangeDreamR33GTST said:

I’m still trying to figure the how part out myself. I put it in finger tight and went to do another quarter turn for good measure and it just snapped.

Do you have torque spec on those things? Generally speaking I recommend only using a short quarter inch ratchet to tighten things like this because the torque spec can be as low as 5 ft-lbs. I don't know how you'd fix the issue pictured, you'd have to ask a machine shop what they could do.

I could repair this for you in 30 minutes but the head would have to come off. Call your local machinists/fabricators who could Tig this back together and retap. Don't worry about it, this is a rather simple repair. 

Cheers.