SAU Community

Will using different oil velocities affect your engine?

silviaz

So I've been using 10w-50 full synthetic which can be used for 10w-40 applications for quite a few years, though today i went to the shop and the guy gave me the 5w-30 full synthetic, he told me that the 10w-50 is semi synthetic not full synthetic, when I just checked in my garage the old bottles of 10w-50 that I used say full synthetic. Will going to 5w-30 affect my motor long term or should I go back to the shop and get it exchanged? I don't even do 5,000km a year anymore also due to covid. Car is low km with 160,000km on it.

Edited by silviaz

As well as klm on the motor consideration, how hot/cold does it get where you are?

5w or 10w is fine, although 5w is better if you get cold starts

30 is a little thin for a higher klm engine, 40 or 50 would be better.

I don't think there is any practical difference between semi of full synthetic for a road car. Just change it every 10,000klm or even better every 5,000klm

On 30/01/2022 at 2:31 PM, Duncan said:

As well as klm on the motor consideration, how hot/cold does it get where you are?

5w or 10w is fine, although 5w is better if you get cold starts

30 is a little thin for a higher klm engine, 40 or 50 would be better.

I don't think there is any practical difference between semi of full synthetic for a road car. Just change it every 10,000klm or even better every 5,000klm

What do you consider a "higher klm engine" D ?

On 1/31/2022 at 10:46 AM, GTSBoy said:

Anything over ~150-200 kkm. That's where a well maintained engine starts to show the inevitable signs of increasing clearances in bearings, valve guides, etc.

I take care of mine pretty well cause I don't want to put in a new engine lol. I should probably be worried about the headgasket before anything else haha.

This is going to sound odd, but the sump gasket (silicone seal?) on my old V35 used to weep and coat the whole sump in a thin layer of oil with 10w-30.

Totally dry with 10w-40, plus noticebaly quieter at idle. Motor would have had about ~150k on it, given iffy import odometers

On 31/01/2022 at 10:46 AM, GTSBoy said:

Anything over ~150-200 kkm. That's where a well maintained engine starts to show the inevitable signs of increasing clearances in bearings, valve guides, etc.

Agreed...they all start to show their age from about there. Not to say the engine is toast, just that all of the clearances and wear are starting to have an effect and a thicker oil can help.

An easy way to tell you need thicker oil in an older engine is that your are using it between oil changes. Could be rings, could be valve stem seals but either way going up one viscosity will likely help. You might also note lower oil pressure if you keep a close eye on it, particularly at idle

I think most modern performance engines have tight tolerances and expect 0w30 or 5w30 which will be fine for the first 50-100,000klm, but again they will start to burn it after that