SAU Community

R34 gtt 4 door questions

Shauno86

Hi all,

I have recently rejoined I previously had a 32 gtst which I sold and regret of course haha. Now I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me buy a r34 gtt 4 door I have a bunch of kids lol. My other car is a kia carnival so I thought a 5 seater 4door was my best option. My question are what ate the average prices for one of these atm and if somehow I was able to get one how are the prices for fixing these atm? My old 32 Erich I had about 10 years ago I could get parts for cheap and they were everywhere. If I was to buy a 34 and something went wrong I'm worried parts will bankrupt me lol . Also if anyone else has been in my situation how did they talk their wife into letting them buy the car 🤣🤣

Edited by Shauno86

Yes....well....how long is a piece of string? There are a few indisputable facts, and a lot of supposition. It is difficult to tell these categories apart.

Fact. Volume of cars for sale is down. Many who have them realise that if they let one go now, it will be much much harder than it used to be to get another.

Fact. Those that are for sale are being offered at very high speculative prices. Some of those are being sold for high prices, which defines the "value" of the others not being sold. Prices are high - higher than comfortable for buying for a daily driver, I would suggest. The maintenance concerns you express are becoming significant - more on that later. If you want to buy one as a low usage "forever car" then the high cost might be more supportable. That's if throwing a lot of money into a car that is not really worth the current prices is "supportable". Also, it all depends on your personal position. If you are earning $200k and have assets and disposable cash out the wazoo, then you can support a lot more vehicular silliness than someone who is balancing a Carnival's worth of kids on a significantly lower income and asset base. Anyone looking to waste money on cars in that situation needs to ponder whether it's a good use of money or not.

Maintenance & parts. Good and bad here. 2nd hand parts of the sort required to fix major problems (like accident damage when you get rear ended by Karen in her Sportage) or engines and gearboxes are much harder to find and 3-4 times the price they were a few years ago. It is a sufficient worry for someone like me who already has a car, dailies it, and does not have a sufficiently large stockpile of "survival" parts in the shed.

Actual prices? Who knows? I have a 32 GTSt 2dr. I wouldn't part with it for <$30k. If someone offered me $40k right now, I sill wouldn't actually sell it. There's one for sale on carsales for $45. R34s (2dr) should notionally be worth more, simply because newer, slightly better platform, etc. The ones on carsales are very speculatively priced in the 40s, 50s and 60s. 4drs are worth less because they are less cool, but they can't be worth a lot less because they are functionally the same car.

/edit: I'm an egg. Not every skyline is running 700+hp with questionable longevity. Please disregard my thoughts below in that case.

You are thinking of getting a Skyline as a second car, right? Because replacing the Carnival with a Skyline sounds like a bad idea to me. :) If I was a non-car-enthusiastic wife I very much wouldn't want to end up stranded in the school drop-off zone because the engine of my husband's 20+ year old car flooded and now I'm blocking all the other parents and the school bus.

Depending on how many kids you have, people have run their 2-doors with child seats in the back and apparently it did bring much joy to the little ones.

Arguments for the wife:

1) It brings you joy.

2) The wife is not going to get stranded in it because the Carnival is the reliable daily

3) It is not going to take away money from the family because when it breaks it will sit on the side until money is saved up for it. Kids and family come first.

4) When it breaks it is something practical and hands-on for the kids to be involved in.

5) Factor in a bunch of spa/manicure/pedicure vouchers to balance out the days you spend working on it.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Carnival and I don't have kids.

Good luck!

I say about mine, I can seat four full grown adults comfortably, and five uncomfortably.

There's room for a child seat back there, but it's like calling an Evo a family car as well, or a Commodore etc (commo will have more room). 

Very different to a Carnival. There are practical reasons why people buy/bought CUV and SUV's, and the primary one is "I have to deal with kids and their associated shit"