SAU Community

im 15 getting an r34 and need help please, am i getting scammed?

SK9R

my brain hurt after reading all this... my advice is get something reliable and cheap until you can afford a proper dream car and not have to worry about fixing rust etc you always spend more in the end. my gtr eats thousands of dollars every year its not something to mess with can make you broke very quick. i work my ass of cutting trees risking my life to make it happen, kinda dumb yes but driven by true passion.  dont rely on dad either make your own path mate. cheers.

Edited by MoMnDadGTR
  • Like 2

My advice is don't learn to wrench on cars with half the parts catalog NLA and pretty much every bit of rubber is perished, it really sucks and is incredibly unforgiving if you make a mistake. I know a guy with an ST205 GT4 and he is pretty depressed that he can't figure out a bunch of mechanical issues and also sourcing parts is either insanely expensive or totally discontinued/NLA. Also, you cannot rely on these cars as daily drivers, nor should you really want to. Your local driving environment may be safer than mine but in my area the number of SUVs and lifted trucks is massive and people drive horribly. Arterial roads have speeds of up to 80-90 kph/55 mph but it's interrupted by traffic signals and terribly designed highway off-ramps and on-ramps so you can have that 90 kph traffic interacting with 40 kph/25 mph traffic. I have seen what accidents look like in these cars and I'd avoid it at all cost.

If you have a GTI my advice is start there and actually learn to work on those cars. Don't listen to cargo cult bro-science, actually try to understand the engineering and the underlying principles. Don't be like half the people I run into on Facebook groups asking how to delete "useless crap" like the AC idle up valve lines. Do all the maintenance and upgrades to that car while you figure out how to land a job and stable living situation that allows you to actually afford a Skyline without ruining your life in the process. Also spending 30k in "upgrades" on your GTI doesn't seem well-informed either, if it's a daily driver don't go wild modifying it into something that it isn't. My daily is a bone stock LS400 because I cannot be bothered to deal with unreliability when I need to get to work.

If you really want to get into these cars because you're afraid prices will get even more ridiculous than they are now, all I can suggest is negotiating with your parents to have them buy and own the car with an option to buy it from them when you turn 25 at the price they paid plus maintenance costs. I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a GTR or GTST, everything else is basically taxi spec and "converting" it will cost far in excess of what it would cost to just buy what you wanted to begin with.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 10:14 PM, SK9R said:

thanks for the reply but every other person that has answered my post on different forums said 100% no go and wondering what your input is do you think i should get it or leave it. and if i'm getting it i'm importing it to Canada

Why are you posting here if you got your questions answered elsewhere? If you're looking for somebody to tell you what you want to hear then you should just do what you want.

If it was me I'd be going nowhere near it. But, I'm not 15 and it could still be a cool project car. Leave the RB20 until you can afford to drop a 25 or 26 into it maybe.

• Like 1

Good advice above...I can remember times in my life where my skyline was the only Thing getting me through the tough times. That’s why I chose the slippery slope and have been around gtr’s my whole life spending thousands of “needless” dollars on them. They saved me mentally.  Being from an area where they are pretty much non existent i new the passion was there and have never questioned it since I had to fix them myself. My only reason saying alL this is I did not have a dad to get parts Or shop etc, I studied the Bnr32 workshop manual when I bought my first gtr and have been on this site since I can remember skimming info learning how to respectably own and fix a car of such standards. You should consider the same Approach my Friend. Work hard for the knowledge before settling on a car. dont just expect it on a platter from the mates it comes with hard work, time, and research. That being said I’m on my 7th gtr and it took 6 hack jobs till I finally built a respectable one. If you choose the journey do it for the right reasons not just to have a cool car and fit in. Let the passion fuel you. You wilL know if it’s meant to Be. Spending 60k plus on a descent skyline is worth every penny if your doing it for the right reasons. That’s all I’m saying on this thread cheers mates make power not friends.

BCA2998D-21EC-45AA-A9F4-75E5F8B68D92.jpeg

59C20498-1400-48BA-BBB0-42E766091E3C.jpeg

Edited by MoMnDadGTR
  • Like 2

Also, let's be real here the new Nissan Z is probably going to be both cheaper and faster than any GTS-T/GTT. RB noises are cool and inline 6s are smooth but it's really hard to argue with what seems to be a real winner. Hiroshi Tamura interviews are surprisingly low on the marketing BS and he seems to get what matters and why.

On 13/02/2022 at 8:30 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Also, let's be real here the new Nissan Z is probably going to be both cheaper and faster than any GTS-T/GTT. RB noises are cool and inline 6s are smooth but it's really hard to argue with what seems to be a real winner. Hiroshi Tamura interviews are surprisingly low on the marketing BS and he seems to get what matters and why.

As cool as the new z is, No back seat sucks I would take a sti over a z any day. My wife has one (2015 400whp) it’s a beast in any weather and super reliable and safe with the awd. Over 100,000km of abuse and still going strong. Hell you can cram 4 or your mates in with you and enjoy a weekend at the lake. Good times in the suby and this is coming from a big Nissan guy. I get more excited to drive the sti than my 700whp gtr. 

Edited by MoMnDadGTR

On 2/13/2022 at 6:40 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

As cool as the new z is, No back seat sucks I would take a sti over a z any day. My wife has one (2015 400whp) it’s a beast in any weather and super reliable and safe with the awd. Over 100,000km of abuse and still going strong. Hell you can cram 4 or your mates in with you and enjoy a weekend at the lake. Good times in the suby and this is coming from a big Nissan guy. I get more excited to drive the sti than my 700whp gtr. 

Yeah and the STI/WRXs are even cheaper to buy right now. I tell everyone that you have to have some weird brain damage like me to be willing to bother with the sheer amount of pain in the butt involved in these cars. They aren't super complicated by modern standards, a BMW N63 or really any modern GDI turbo V6 makes the RB26 look like a joke by comparison but there are still a lot of tricky details to get right in these cars unless you want it to just be perpetually broken.

• Like 1

I think if you're buying a Skyline or, really, any 90s/00s car for it to be the best thing since forced induction you're getting it all wrong. You buy one of these cars because you want one of these cars.

If you want the best car for the money and bang for your buck is important, get something else newer, faster, less rusty. But don't compare them. 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

my brain hurt after reading all this... my advice is get something reliable and cheap until you can afford a proper dream car and not have to worry about fixing rust etc you always spend more in the end. my gtr eats thousands of dollars every year its not something to mess with can make you broke very quick. i work my ass of cutting trees risking my life to make it happen, kinda dumb yes but driven by true passion.  dont rely on dad either make your own path mate. cheers.

thanks for the advise i have dicided im not buying a skyline and im putting (my money, not my dads btw) into my gti

On 2/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, joshuaho96 said:

My advice is don't learn to wrench on cars with half the parts catalog NLA and pretty much every bit of rubber is perished, it really sucks and is incredibly unforgiving if you make a mistake. I know a guy with an ST205 GT4 and he is pretty depressed that he can't figure out a bunch of mechanical issues and also sourcing parts is either insanely expensive or totally discontinued/NLA. Also, you cannot rely on these cars as daily drivers, nor should you really want to. Your local driving environment may be safer than mine but in my area the number of SUVs and lifted trucks is massive and people drive horribly. Arterial roads have speeds of up to 80-90 kph/55 mph but it's interrupted by traffic signals and terribly designed highway off-ramps and on-ramps so you can have that 90 kph traffic interacting with 40 kph/25 mph traffic. I have seen what accidents look like in these cars and I'd avoid it at all cost.

If you have a GTI my advice is start there and actually learn to work on those cars. Don't listen to cargo cult bro-science, actually try to understand the engineering and the underlying principles. Don't be like half the people I run into on Facebook groups asking how to delete "useless crap" like the AC idle up valve lines. Do all the maintenance and upgrades to that car while you figure out how to land a job and stable living situation that allows you to actually afford a Skyline without ruining your life in the process. Also spending 30k in "upgrades" on your GTI doesn't seem well-informed either, if it's a daily driver don't go wild modifying it into something that it isn't. My daily is a bone stock LS400 because I cannot be bothered to deal with unreliability when I need to get to work.

If you really want to get into these cars because you're afraid prices will get even more ridiculous than they are now, all I can suggest is negotiating with your parents to have them buy and own the car with an option to buy it from them when you turn 25 at the price they paid plus maintenance costs. I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a GTR or GTST, everything else is basically taxi spec and "converting" it will cost far in excess of what it would cost to just buy what you wanted to begin with.

thanks for the advice and after reading all that and other replys i relised the money i was going to use on buying the skyline im going to put it in the gti because it will be such a hassle and my dad said any car i buy for mods hes not helping me mod it in any way. the only thing hes helped me with is engine swapping my gti (im not going to lie i did nothing). but the having my parents buy one and i buy off of them later i might ask thank you for that.

On 2/13/2022 at 6:06 PM, PranK said:

Why are you posting here if you got your questions answered elsewhere? If you're looking for somebody to tell you what you want to hear then you should just do what you want.

If it was me I'd be going nowhere near it. But, I'm not 15 and it could still be a cool project car. Leave the RB20 until you can afford to drop a 25 or 26 into it maybe.

well i just wanted to see what he had to say about it and im 90% sure im not getting it after all the replys 

On 2/13/2022 at 9:08 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

Good advice above...I can remember times in my life where my skyline was the only Thing getting me through the tough times. That’s why I chose the slippery slope and have been around gtr’s my whole life spending thousands of “needless” dollars on them. They saved me mentally.  Being from an area where they are pretty much non existent i new the passion was there and have never questioned it since I had to fix them myself. My only reason saying alL this is I did not have a dad to get parts Or shop etc, I studied the Bnr32 workshop manual when I bought my first gtr and have been on this site since I can remember skimming info learning how to respectably own and fix a car of such standards. You should consider the same Approach my Friend. Work hard for the knowledge before settling on a car. dont just expect it on a platter from the mates it comes with hard work, time, and research. That being said I’m on my 7th gtr and it took 6 hack jobs till I finally built a respectable one. If you choose the journey do it for the right reasons not just to have a cool car and fit in. Let the passion fuel you. You wilL know if it’s meant to Be. Spending 60k plus on a descent skyline is worth every penny if your doing it for the right reasons. That’s all I’m saying on this thread cheers mates make power not friends.

BCA2998D-21EC-45AA-A9F4-75E5F8B68D92.jpeg

59C20498-1400-48BA-BBB0-42E766091E3C.jpeg

thank you. you are definetly correct on the buying it to have a cool car but, i really love cars and the whole modding aspect of it. I've been around cars my whole life just not the jdm/modding part of it, but since I found out about it I've been saving every penny I get to build a crazy hp car but now that i am actually in the process of "buying" a project car i really don't know. I've also been getting in lots of trouble with the law ending up in court and smoking a lot so i'm trying to have something to do instead of doing stupid shit. at the moment i'm in Amman Jordan because my parents were worried i'm going down the wrong path and are scared i'm going to end up in jail or getting addicted to pills and other stuff. i know this isn't a therapy forum but people calling me dumb for even thinking of getting this car it really brings me down (i'm not saying you did you were one of the actual nice people to respond) and makes me think "should I even get a project car" or if i should just not mod at. but thank you for the reply. and I LOVE YOUR BUILD its actually insane. and sorry for making you my therapist

On 2/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, djvoodoo said:

OP sounds like he is from the US. Didn't think an R34 of any calibre was legal in the states anyway, except for *some* specialty GTR variants (midnight purple etc)

i was going to import it to canada and drive with my dad and his trailer and drive it back down

On 2/13/2022 at 11:53 PM, niZmO_Man said:

I've merged your multiple threads into this.

Create only one in the appropriate section, or I will flag you as a spammer

me?

On 17/02/2022 at 3:15 AM, SK9R said:

thank you. you are definetly correct on the buying it to have a cool car but, i really love cars and the whole modding aspect of it. I've been around cars my whole life just not the jdm/modding part of it, but since I found out about it I've been saving every penny I get to build a crazy hp car but now that i am actually in the process of "buying" a project car i really don't know. I've also been getting in lots of trouble with the law ending up in court and smoking a lot so i'm trying to have something to do instead of doing stupid shit. at the moment i'm in Amman Jordan because my parents were worried i'm going down the wrong path and are scared i'm going to end up in jail or getting addicted to pills and other stuff. i know this isn't a therapy forum but people calling me dumb for even thinking of getting this car it really brings me down (i'm not saying you did you were one of the actual nice people to respond) and makes me think "should I even get a project car" or if i should just not mod at. but thank you for the reply. and I LOVE YOUR BUILD its actually insane. and sorry for making you my therapist

Thank you mate. dont let words hurt you good chap. when i first joined skyline Australia they almost made me cry a couple times lol. us Canadians aren't as tough as we say...just kidding we are tough as nails. That been said anyone calling you dumb is just a bully and a wanker mate there's lots of good chaps on here that will help even on the simplest and silly questions. im one of them will always help when i can. There is a mate on here BK(ben) answered all my dumb questions for 2 years straight before i was able to finish my car. in fact I found out how dumb i was when talking with fellows that had ten times the info i did and know how on these cars. if you can block out the negative energy and focus on the information given you can accumulate enough information to make the decision if you want to do a project or not on your own.  project cars saved my life i would be dead or still in jail without them. NOT a place you want to be.... i screwed up many project cars including 3 gtrs, 2 stis, and a type r integra that was mint i lit it on fire with nos lol. costed me thousands of needless dollars but the projects cars were keeping me away from the rest of my life which was pretty negative and scary at the time. never be afraid to pm me mate car issues or life issues ive sen alot of crap. my best advice i could ever give you is this and this goes for all you mates that are struggling...Take care of your body like a temple mate, pretend it is your r32 gtr take care of it you only live ones. eat well, sleep well, work hard, and be extremely kind to everyone. drugs, alcohol, running around trying to fak anything that moves is all rubbish mate. nothing wrong with the odd puff or drink with a mate jsut have control. if you dont have control stay away, focus on the good in life man there's a shit load of great stuff in this world to enjoy. cars are just a small part of life and if they do calm you down and truly keep you out of trouble, send it. don't use it as an excuse tho I've seen people buy cars and just continue doing stupid shit. Your parents love you man and care deeply about you, if you have a child someday you will understand they only looking out for you. go tell them you love them today and give them a reason why. its not a end all fix all takes the attitude inside your head to be positive first. Cars or what ever hobby you have are just a helper the attitude has to be right. be strong good chap. Like i tell my best mates MAKE POWER NOT FRIENDS. lol

Edited by MoMnDadGTR
cant type worth a dam fixing errors

On 2/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, MoMnDadGTR said:

Thank you mate. dont let words hurt you good chap. when i first joined skyline Australia they almost made me cry a couple times lol. us Canadians aren't as tough as we say...just kidding we are tough as nails. That been said anyone calling you dumb is just a bully and a wanker mate there's lots of good chaps on here that will help even on the simplest and silly questions. im one of them will always help when i can. There is a mate on here BK(ben) answered all my dumb questions for 2 years straight before i was able to finish my car. in fact I found out how dumb i was when talking with fellows that had ten times the info i did and know how on these cars. if you can block out the negative energy and focus on the information given you can accumulate enough information to make the decision if you want to do a project or not on your own.  project cars saved my life i would be dead or still in jail without them. NOT a place you want to be.... i screwed up many project cars including 3 gtrs, 2 stis, and a type r integra that was mint i lit it on fire with nos lol. costed me thousands of needless dollars but the projects cars were keeping me away from the rest of my life which was pretty negative and scary at the time. never be afraid to pm me mate car issues or life issues ive sen alot of crap. my best advice i could ever give you is this and this goes for all you mates that are struggling...Take care of your body like a temple mate, pretend it is your r32 gtr take care of it you only live ones. eat well, sleep well, work hard, and be extremely kind to everyone. drugs, alcohol, running around trying to fak anything that moves is all rubbish mate. nothing wrong with the odd puff or drink with a mate jsut have control. if you dont have control stay away, focus on the good in life man there's a shit load of great stuff in this world to enjoy. cars are just a small part of life and if they do calm you down and truly keep you out of trouble, send it. don't use it as an excuse tho I've seen people buy cars and just continue doing stupid shit. Your parents love you man and care deeply about you, if you have a child someday you will understand they only looking out for you. go tell them you love them today and give them a reason why. its not a end all fix all takes the attitude inside your head to be positive first. Cars or what ever hobby you have are just a helper the attitude has to be right. be strong good chap. Like i tell my best mates MAKE POWER NOT FRIENDS. lol

thank you so much for this i truly needed to here this. and its pretty hard to come up with the words to explain but all i got to say is thanks. and MAKE POWER NOT FRIENDS. love that line bro lol im going to follow you just incase i have any questions 

On 20/02/2022 at 3:44 PM, Kinkstaah said:

tbh life is a lot better with more friends and less power. If I was going to give advice to a 15 year old version of me, I'd go with that.

its a figure of speech mate ive said it over hundred times. ill rephrase and explain so no one cries. focus on the good in life "cars/health/family/good job/eat well/ dont be worried about what people think of you any trying to make a bunch of half ass friends its a pretty common mistake at the age of 15 especially trouble makers. surround yourself with people you think are your friends but they end up getting you in trouble and steering you wrong way causing you set backs and you forget about them anyway.  friends will come as you keep yourself well and healthy. i bet if you do focus on cars or what ever floats your boat and being healthy you will get way more friends "better friends that last" then if you end up a hooligan in and out of jail getting in trouble. the kid reached out to me I've give him nothing but honest good advice that worked for me. His brain works the same way mine does so ive giving advice that worked for me. life is better with ZERO power and 1 good friend i don't need any convincing. if you have one or 2 good friends that truely have your back throughout thick and thin you have enough in my eyes.  this is coming from someone who lives and breathes skylines and i just get simply annoyed listening to people and how soft everyone has gotten these days. that's why i say make power not friends cause the theory of thought keeps you in a good direction.  listening to 1000hp at roll racing makes me much happier than listening to someone tell me about there day and problems and how much blah blah blah couldn't care less. ill stay out of it you can get your advice from one of the other wankers following this thread. cheers good luck chap. Health, sleep, wellness. GTR power. 

Edited by MoMnDadGTR
  • Like 1