SAU Community

External Wastegate Opening at higher boost than spring rated

Chereboy

Do the bottom port test again off car to confirm it definitely passes to the top port, therefore being faulty. If it's got a split diaphragm it'll be obvious when disassembled with a tear in it - It's about the only thing that really fails on them.

On 16/02/2022 at 4:02 PM, Chereboy said:

Think I might have found the issue20220216_173132.jpg

Good work, you owe me a carton 😄

That gate diaphragm is exactly the one I linked you to from RHDjapan, so around $150.

HKS part 1499-RA057

• Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 5:41 PM, BK said:

That gate diaphragm is exactly the one I linked you to from RHDjapan, so around $150.

HKS part 1499-RA057

Thanks soo much man, I honestly appreciate it soo damn much. You've been a huge help.

On 16/02/2022 at 5:41 PM, BK said:

HKS part 1499-RA057

Also just curious on how I would fit it on as the one on my wastegate is round but the online one is squared off, do I just run a knife around the outside of the wastegate after clamping it shut? Thanks again

On 18/02/2022 at 8:46 PM, tridentt150v said:

On another tack...10psi sounds a bit low.  You would need to test, but a 14psi would probably suit that turbo and setup a bit better.

Hey mate, so your saying it would be worth my while to have a 14pound spring in there instead of the 7pound one? I'm also going to be tuning the car soon after the diaphragm arrives and I'll probably be pushing close of not a little more than 20psi. I'm also probably just going to have the ECU control the boost so I'll just delete the Blitz one

On 2/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, Chereboy said:

close of not a little more than 20psi.

The general rule is that you do not want to use a spring that is less than half the boost you want to bleed up to, and more spring is generally better than less. So for 20+ psi, you definitely want to be in the 14 psi spring range, rather than 10, and you definitely don't want to be using a 7.

On 20/02/2022 at 4:27 PM, GTSBoy said:

The general rule is that you do not want to use a spring that is less than half the boost you want to bleed up to, and more spring is generally better than less. So for 20+ psi, you definitely want to be in the 14 psi spring range, rather than 10, and you definitely don't want to be using a 7.

Alright mad, too easy, I'll definitely be sourcing out at least a 14 psi spring setup. Thanks mate

Edited by Chereboy

On 20/02/2022 at 3:26 PM, Chereboy said:

Alright mad, too easy, I'll definitely be sourcing out at least a 14 psi spring setup. Thanks mate

As your HKS standard gate has no spring preload adjustment on it, I'd say you want the purple spring as it should be about 1.1 bar fitted being that's minimum on the adjustable version  Available springs from RHDjapan attached, although HKS themselves say only the yellow and purple springs are available now and that the original standard gate spring selection is discontinued.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/search/brands/hks/category/turbo-and-na-systems/?q=Spring

Alright, I'm gonna order the purple one tomorrow, I'll see if they can add it to my pending order for the diaphragm as it's apparently going to be sent out on the 21st.

Anyone know how long I'm looking at it taking to reach Sydney NSW? I paid for the DHL shipping and wasn't really sure what it meant by 1-5 days as I'm sure it will take much longer than that to arrive and 5 days will be the 21st when I think they are saying it will be sent out. Thanks guys, don't really understand their shipping system

Screenshot_20220220-201933_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb4ff0e834a1f1d482a3335fe7b3469e.jpg.

Edited by Chereboy