SAU Community

So I drove through water

I was an idiot today and I drove through water on this road section, I didn't have much room to go around, and as I got into it my car did lose a bit of power but after that it was fine and got home without any problems, car drove as normal.I thought my snorkel was on the top but it seems like it isn't. My car is a 2001 subaru impreza N/A? I was going to check the air filter tomorrow to see that it didn't go into the engine, and make sure my oil isn't murky. Is there anything else I need to consider? I did think about taking out spark plugs except if the oil looks clean then there shouldn't be water in the combustion chamber, and especially since I drove home without any problems after the water.

Edited by silviaz

On 3/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, niZmO_Man said:

if it still runs like it did before you entered the water, you'll be fine.
maybe check the air filter as you said and replace it if it's soggy

Yeah it did, no issues. Will check tomorrow morning, really don't want all those years of looking after my engine to be wiped out in 5 minutes by my own stupidity, haha.

Oh man I would have been so worried that I'd broken something.

Good to hear it's still running and like the others said hopefully it's fine.

It wouldn't surprise me if some water did get in and simply burned away which is why you lost some power but not enough to lock it up.

On 02/03/2022 at 9:47 PM, niZmO_Man said:

hey if the engine breaks, grab a build EJ207 from All Drive Subaru hehe

All Imprezas are AWD, not just WRXs, that Subaru's thing.

Worst thing to worry about is in a couple of years time your axle splines will be welded to the hubs and you'll never be able to remove them if required - ever.

ive completely hydro locked 2 engines offroading both toyota 3.0 v6 engines that came in the pickup. pulled the plugs and cranked till all the water came out and the engines and they both came back around.  your motor is fine i wouldn't stress, change the  oil, change the air filter, keep on keeping on mate.

On 03/03/2022 at 12:04 AM, BK said:

All Imprezas are AWD, not just WRXs, that Subaru's thing.

Worst thing to worry about is in a couple of years time your axle splines will be welded to the hubs and you'll never be able to remove them if required - ever.

err off topic but, https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/

I spelt 'Subaroo' wrong, but I know about Subarus heh (had a gen5 GT Liberty/Legacy manual wagon, miss that car) and my brother has a VA1 STI (my dad also has previous gen Outback). My mate built is GV STi engine at aforementioned workshop (makes 380 kW and is scary fast).

On 03/03/2022 at 8:57 AM, niZmO_Man said:

err off topic but, https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/

I spelt 'Subaroo' wrong, but I know about Subarus heh (had a gen5 GT Liberty/Legacy manual wagon, miss that car) and my brother has a VA1 STI (my dad also has previous gen Outback). My mate built is GV STi engine at aforementioned workshop (makes 380 kW and is scary fast).

Have 2 WRXs myself and they are great. 2001 GDA WRX and the 2015 VAG WRX with the FA20, both in blue of course.

WP_20160915_001.thumb.jpg.c914c608840ba0a61574e1c4b015c612.jpg

The FA20 turbo is brilliant and a quantum leap over the EJ. Not quite sold on the 2022 version though.

On 3/2/2022 at 4:14 PM, BK said:

Have 2 WRXs myself and they are great. 2001 GDA WRX and the 2015 VAG WRX with the FA20, both in blue of course.

WP_20160915_001.thumb.jpg.c914c608840ba0a61574e1c4b015c612.jpg

The FA20 turbo is brilliant and a quantum leap over the EJ. Not quite sold on the 2022 version though.

AFAIK the FA24DIT is tuned a lot better from the factory, putting aside the other questionable decisions. I still don't understand why Subaru insists on shipping cars with such questionable tunes from the factory. It's fixable, but it just seems wrong to void a warranty just to linearize the torque vs accel pedal input curve.

• Like 1

Hey guys so I checked it out and everything is sweet. Air filter dry as a bone, oil at exact same full level and isn't milky, coolant fine as well. Didn't bother to check transmission will assume its fine. Won't be doing that again lol.

• Like 1