SAU Community

Registering an Interstate Import Car with No Rego and Defected

hrevi

Hello guys,

I'm looking to buy an imported car from South Australia that has been defected and is current unregistered. It has been registered before in SA and was defected and then unregoed for probably 1-2 years. It has an import plate with an Australian VIN but comes with no papers at all, no import papers or defect notice.

I've looked around in the forums and most have said once its been unregoed, the defect is null since the car needs a full safety inspection anyways.

Service NSW said that I need the import papers to rego it in NSW and if I don't, then I'll need to apply for the import papers myself.

Anyone with advice to help me out? Hopefully I'm thinking it just needs the full safety inspection (blue slip) and the usual CTP, rego and plates.

You should be able to get a copy of the paoers by contacting Barnaby's department. They will need the VIN. i'm not sure how you prove to them you own it, I've only requested papers for a car I imported before.

Otherwise it should be the usual blue slip process, you will need a weighbridge ticket too. No idea if the defect sticks or if a new blueslip covers that off. 

• Like 1

no, the import approval is federal, not state. 

there is a general link here to contact them and ask for a copy: https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure-transport-vehicles/vehicles/rvs/contact-us

I emailed them at [email protected] but that was a couple of years back, not sure if it is still active

• Like 2

On 07/03/2022 at 7:56 PM, Duncan said:

You should be able to get a copy of the paoers by contacting Barnaby's department.

Is that some auto-correct typo or is it actually Barnaby? All I come up with in a search is Midsomer Murders or Barnaby Joyce in politics.

(Thanks for the link in your second post Duncan! Not OP but I might get in touch with them as well for the papers for my car. I'm still wondering about Barnaby though :))

On 08/03/2022 at 9:03 AM, GTSBoy said:

Of course it's Barnaby Joyce. Let's see. Federal MP? Check. Minister of the Department of Infrastructure? Check.

On 08/03/2022 at 9:04 AM, BK said:

Barnaby Joyce - minister for infrastructure. Department that handles infrastructure shit like transport.

Thanks guys! That was clearly some kind of brainfart on my end. Deduction skills 0.