SAU Community

Built rb26 burning oil.

On 26/03/2022 at 6:54 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

Thanks mate im going to drop my oil 58 times before driving it out my garage. then im going to go park this POS in my storage bin and never look at it again. ive developed a hate for this car throughout this process and honestly couldn't care less about it anymore if i was rich i would burn it for sure. the only thing keeping that garbage head from gettting slammed on that garbage block then getting skidded till my regas have no lip left on them is the value of the car. i have no time for this car anymore and will be taking the first crap offer i get for it.  i could spend 100 grand on machine work and id still have a garbage motor at the end of the day cause no one knows what the hell there doing with rb's in this area. im so fed up with doing everything absolutely perfect to the point where i set up an entire fab shop in my garage so i could build this car, to only have it wrecked every single time a shop does something to this car. i have more fun driving my  rav4 v6 through the bush setting up hunting spots then spending days on days researching and spending every dollar i have on this car only to go fast a couple times then pull it apart cause a professional machine shop that has been in business for 30 plus years cant put a f**king guide in properly and continue to try and use crap guide. hard to make sense of stupid. that being said i thank you all for your help but im over this shit. cheers.

Ok as mentioned above step back and breathe.....

I have felt like this before, especially with the blue 32 hence the money pit tag. If you notice I only started a build thread on it in the last couple of years, didn't have time to document it with all the shit things that has happened. That car has taken me approximately 14 years to get it remotely where I want it from first posting about it on SAU in 2009. I've wanted to burn or sell it after multiple engine and gearbox failures in the past, and even had it parked up for a good 2+ years at one stage without touching it. Mate I had my first Nitto 2.8 let go at under 1000km and didn't know what to do so I know the feeling. In the end I came back and fixed it and glad I did.

I know it can get depressing sometimes but if you're anything like me you develop an emotional attachment to the GT-R, and something about these cars just draw you back to them. Maybe just step away from it for a bit before deciding to get rid of it - going down the modded GT-R road is not easy, but is definitely satisfying if you end up persisting.

• Like 1

As everyone has said above stick with it, unfortunately Shit happens and we’ve all gone through it. I had an engine builder try abs build me an rb30 countless times and despite being in and out of the car countless times barely drove a kilometer.

i was going to sell it then but stuck with it and just put a stock 26 back in and left it in the garage while I sorted other big financial item out (house)

now I’m building a 2.8 and the machine shop has had it for 7 months and I’ve also been getting the shit but will continue to stick with it because the result will be worth it 

On 3/26/2022 at 2:24 AM, MoMnDadGTR said:

Thanks mate im going to drop my oil 58 times before driving it out my garage. then im going to go park this POS in my storage bin and never look at it again. ive developed a hate for this car throughout this process and honestly couldn't care less about it anymore if i was rich i would burn it for sure. the only thing keeping that garbage head from gettting slammed on that garbage block then getting skidded till my regas have no lip left on them is the value of the car. i have no time for this car anymore and will be taking the first crap offer i get for it.  i could spend 100 grand on machine work and id still have a garbage motor at the end of the day cause no one knows what the hell there doing with rb's in this area. im so fed up with doing everything absolutely perfect to the point where i set up an entire fab shop in my garage so i could build this car, to only have it wrecked every single time a shop does something to this car. i have more fun driving my  rav4 v6 through the bush setting up hunting spots then spending days on days researching and spending every dollar i have on this car only to go fast a couple times then pull it apart cause a professional machine shop that has been in business for 30 plus years cant put a f**king guide in properly and continue to try and use crap guide. hard to make sense of stupid. that being said i thank you all for your help but im over this shit. cheers.

This is just the unfortunate reality of modifying cars in general. It really sucks but there's so many shoddy machine shops out there, shoddy mechanics, shoddy parts, etc. These projects are a lot of heartache, I don't think it's really possible to avoid that. I know someone who had their Subaru sitting in a mechanic's shop for two years before discovering that his mechanic parted it out for cash, left the roller outside to get towed, then skipped town. If you're really giving up on it I'm sure people would be interested but it'll definitely be hard to find someone that isn't looking for a deal.

On 27/03/2022 at 1:20 AM, BK said:

Ok as mentioned above step back and breathe.....

I have felt like this before, especially with the blue 32 hence the money pit tag. If you notice I only started a build thread on it in the last couple of years, didn't have time to document it with all the shit things that has happened. That car has taken me approximately 14 years to get it remotely where I want it from first posting about it on SAU in 2009. I've wanted to burn or sell it after multiple engine and gearbox failures in the past, and even had it parked up for a good 2+ years at one stage without touching it. Mate I had my first Nitto 2.8 let go at under 1000km and didn't know what to do so I know the feeling. In the end I came back and fixed it and glad I did.

I know it can get depressing sometimes but if you're anything like me you develop an emotional attachment to the GT-R, and something about these cars just draw you back to them. Maybe just step away from it for a bit before deciding to get rid of it - going down the modded GT-R road is not easy, but is definitely satisfying if you end up persisting.

I'm not gunna give up its just frustrating and im totally done spending every dollar i have on this thing just to see it "work" proper. maybe worth it to some poeple but not me. i get the die hards go through motors, gearbox's,rb30 builds go south, etc all the time, but i would like to know how many poeple go through engines and gearboxes all the time with a 500whp goal in mind with literally the most simple and chillest engine setup possible for a car like this?  most people breaking stuff constantly having issues are looking for way bigger goals and pushing there cars hard. i jsut wanted something that worked nothing fancy. i got every top of the line part and took over 1.5 years building this engine at one machine shop.... if the motor is built right, tune is right, and work is done right with top of the line parts there no reason failure of shottty work should be accepted as a normal thing in this game. i highly doubt shops like croyden,b2r,etc would deliver you a head with a o ring in it expecting you to accept that as quality work for an engine that lives at 9000rpm....they tried to use me and pull a fast one on me ontop of all tghe crap work they already did. the thousands of extra dollars going into this car yet again that i dont even think should be coming out of my pocket, would be better spent for new soccer gear, and clothes, house upgrades for my son as he grows and matures, or maybe donating some of this car part money to a country and families that done even have power food or roof over there head... lifes not about the gtr anymore sadly enough as it sounds. Just another metal thing i own that really holds no value in my heart anymore compared to family. i have about 5 others hobbeys that i thoroughly enjoy like hunting, camping, wood splitting, tree cutting, quading, snow mobiling, just been outdoors really it quickly out weighs the selfish times i spend with my gtr day in and day out. that being said im not going to let my restored gtr sit and rot as its simply an investement to me now.... i just ordered my own valve guide installing and removal air hammer tool, ill drill them out if i have too myself. i have an oven i know how to use it. im stripping my head down and will through some new guides in myself, as im sure theres more leaking guides then jsut the one. when im done that i will test the guides as i know this was a super hard step for my shop to do. THEN removing my block and re honing a size up again, as i dont trust a dam thing this shop did to my gtr. again thanks for the help mates i truely appreciate it. going back under my rock for a bit till the black lemon is alive again. cheers

On 27/03/2022 at 1:52 AM, joshuaho96 said:

This is just the unfortunate reality of modifying cars in general. It really sucks but there's so many shoddy machine shops out there, shoddy mechanics, shoddy parts, etc. These projects are a lot of heartache, I don't think it's really possible to avoid that. I know someone who had their Subaru sitting in a mechanic's shop for two years before discovering that his mechanic parted it out for cash, left the roller outside to get towed, then skipped town. If you're really giving up on it I'm sure people would be interested but it'll definitely be hard to find someone that isn't looking for a deal.

lol well that mechanic probably knew the customer was softer than 10 ply and used the crap outta the situation. because if someone did that to me they would have to change their name and identity and move far far away to get away with that, god help my soul if i found them before the police. thats the definition of being used and played like a fiddle what person in there right mind lets that happen over a 2 year period. sounds like a subaru owner lol. anyways i understand shit happens and people make mistakes but i also understand when people are trying to be shotty and sneaky i wont accept it. im going there tomorow with a list of all the extra money this costs me and if they dont come good for it it wont be hard for me to destroy there reputation around the area. every guy in the area with jz or rb takes motors here and are waiting to see how they come good for me. if they dont theres a good chance they loose up to 25 extremely good customers and we will be taking our machine work to a different province. pain in ass but we got a good machine shop about 2000km away that does rb30 builds all the time. just keep in mind this shop first gave me my motor back with the camshafts in backwards and said i had the wrong camshafts.......

Stick with it legend, all will be right in the end!  We've all had our tales of woe to contend with, Skyline life is like that!  I haven't really been burnt by any other workshop than my own!  I WISH I had someone else to blame but unfortunately all fingers point back towards me as the cause of every last ounce of my grief!  My car hit 10 years off the road just recently so think yourself lucky you've actually driven yours with the last decade! 🤣🤣  I was young when I bought it, now I'm a crusty old man!

On 3/27/2022 at 3:53 AM, MoMnDadGTR said:

lol well that mechanic probably knew the customer was softer than 10 ply and used the crap outta the situation. because if someone did that to me they would have to change their name and identity and move far far away to get away with that, god help my soul if i found them before the police. thats the definition of being used and played like a fiddle what person in there right mind lets that happen over a 2 year period. sounds like a subaru owner lol. anyways i understand shit happens and people make mistakes but i also understand when people are trying to be shotty and sneaky i wont accept it. im going there tomorow with a list of all the extra money this costs me and if they dont come good for it it wont be hard for me to destroy there reputation around the area. every guy in the area with jz or rb takes motors here and are waiting to see how they come good for me. if they dont theres a good chance they loose up to 25 extremely good customers and we will be taking our machine work to a different province. pain in ass but we got a good machine shop about 2000km away that does rb30 builds all the time. just keep in mind this shop first gave me my motor back with the camshafts in backwards and said i had the wrong camshafts.......

The mechanic is now a fugitive, supposedly not the first time he did this either: https://www.thedrive.com/news/44666/subaru-speed-shop-owner-disappears-with-customers-engines-and-cash-report

On 27/03/2022 at 6:33 PM, joshuaho96 said:

The mechanic is now a fugitive, supposedly not the first time he did this either: https://www.thedrive.com/news/44666/subaru-speed-shop-owner-disappears-with-customers-engines-and-cash-report

wow what a skid

On 27/03/2022 at 5:09 PM, Shoota_77 said:

Stick with it legend, all will be right in the end!  We've all had our tales of woe to contend with, Skyline life is like that!  I haven't really been burnt by any other workshop than my own!  I WISH I had someone else to blame but unfortunately all fingers point back towards me as the cause of every last ounce of my grief!  My car hit 10 years off the road just recently so think yourself lucky you've actually driven yours with the last decade! 🤣🤣  I was young when I bought it, now I'm a crusty old man!

your 100 percent right mate i acting a bit like a child over this. gunna pick my bottom lip up and go hammer down and get my GTR running again. im off to the machine shop to try and make this right. thanks for the support mates you are good fellas down under. i even got a lead on another head worst comes to worst if a new guide wont seal up this current head. ive got a new set of guides and seals at the post office. i need my gtr lol i go bananas without it.

On 28/03/2022 at 11:20 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

your 100 percent right mate i acting a bit like a child over this. gunna pick my bottom lip up and go hammer down and get my GTR running again. im off to the machine shop to try and make this right. thanks for the support mates you are good fellas down under. i even got a lead on another head worst comes to worst if a new guide wont seal up this current head. ive got a new set of guides and seals at the post office. i need my gtr lol i go bananas without it.

You're not acting like a child at all.  There is a huge amount of financial, physical and most powerfully emotional/mental investment when it comes to building a vehicle.  Particularly a vehicle that comes with such a massive pedigree.  The build up of those emotions as you get closer to completion is huge.  I experienced it with mine.  I'd put in a hard 12 months to get it to a point where I had it booked in for the tune the following day.  I dropped it down off the hoist for the first time, went to reverse back out to put it on the trailer and all of a sudden it made a god awful noise.  Clearly I wasn't going to get my tune done the next day....  That destroyed me for a few months at least.  I couldn't even look at the effing thing because of the emotions I'd poured into being shot down so instantly and brutally.  So, I totally get where you're at but it'll pass. You just need to let the steam subside and you'll be good to go all over again, mentally stronger and more prepared for the next time it fux you over! 😂

Chin up mate, we're all looking forward to this being a distant memory for you!

• Like 2

Yep, we've all been there unfortunately. Should've seen the old man's face when the white 32 failed on the dyno in Adelaide last year....he knew straight away what just happened. 2 years straight on the car then 1500km drive and just like that on 4th dyno run its all over.

He 77 now and still at it !

Build it back up stout and strong, and don't treat it like a hire car

These cars are well past the built it, break it, build it again age, can you even get good used long motors anymore?

For a young family guy I would get the head sorted, wind back the powers a bit and settle for an awesome modern classic that you can cruise around in enjoying life

A nicely sorted, moderately powerful car will always be better than a big horsepower car that spends most of its life in a garage, with a busted engine/transmission/drivetrain, that you cannot easily sourc e parts for...........

I was in Canadia years ago with work, Medicine Hat, lovely country,  watched some ice hockey teams beat the shit out of each other, which was nice, anyways, don't you have all those big yank engines that are just laying around in wreckers waiting for someone to drag them out and throw on some turbos, get one of them, drop it in a old F body and make 700hp for a couple of thousand dollars..........I do get all my yank muscle info from old mate from Vice Grip Garage though, so I may be full of (shit) misinformation 

Anyways, it sounds like you've picked up your showbags and are now GTG again

Which is good because I enjoy your build thread

Stay safe

On 28/03/2022 at 6:10 PM, BK said:

Yep, we've all been there unfortunately. Should've seen the old man's face when the white 32 failed on the dyno in Adelaide last year....he knew straight away what just happened. 2 years straight on the car then 1500km drive and just like that on 4th dyno run its all over.

He 77 now and still at it !

yeah mate i think about this from time to time when im struggling with the car. i felt for you guys on that one.

On 29/03/2022 at 7:09 AM, mlr said:

Build it back up stout and strong, and don't treat it like a hire car

These cars are well past the built it, break it, build it again age, can you even get good used long motors anymore?

For a young family guy I would get the head sorted, wind back the powers a bit and settle for an awesome modern classic that you can cruise around in enjoying life

A nicely sorted, moderately powerful car will always be better than a big horsepower car that spends most of its life in a garage, with a busted engine/transmission/drivetrain, that you cannot easily sourc e parts for...........

I was in Canadia years ago with work, Medicine Hat, lovely country,  watched some ice hockey teams beat the shit out of each other, which was nice, anyways, don't you have all those big yank engines that are just laying around in wreckers waiting for someone to drag them out and throw on some turbos, get one of them, drop it in a old F body and make 700hp for a couple of thousand dollars..........I do get all my yank muscle info from old mate from Vice Grip Garage though, so I may be full of (shit) misinformation 

Anyways, it sounds like you've picked up your showbags and are now GTG again

Which is good because I enjoy your build thread

Stay safe

kind words, thank you mate. it is a great country.  i already got the head back on im slowing putting her back together. we did a new guide and sealant, let it sit for  a day and yeah thats how im gunna role on this one see if it holds. we recut the seats, set lash, blah blah.  im always quick to black out but once i settle i get this sense of confidence and relax, hammer down and just get it done. i found a guide washer floating around behind my timing gear that i gotta deal with its leaving flakes of aluminum on my everything. ill send a picture with what i mean.  its just floating around in there, my friend who helps me build this car must of been smoking something on that one as he set up the timing gear with the prp kit....now i know the wierd sound i always heard like a zinging metal sound from front of motor. lol

On 29/03/2022 at 2:38 PM, Duncan said:

In that case you were lucky with the valve guide issue, sooner or later you would end up with a timing belt failure and a bunch of bent valves which would have been way more expensive to fix...

ExCtly mate. I made a custom one to my standard. I got it running today!

Edited by MoMnDadGTR

Well my son inspired me to be strong like his dinasaur and hammer down and get the job done. The son of a gun runs and doesn’t burn oil! Yet lol will see how it lasts. 12 hours straight wasn’t to bad. Was a little rushed but that’s how I role.....felt good went well gtr gods were on my side today.

834FCAFD-B921-4776-857C-C879C40453F7.jpeg

7E023C65-6521-4100-BA31-975614842FED.jpeg

0DCD0060-2554-49B7-A9C4-E21EEB78E44F.jpeg

C23E9DC4-E042-45C1-B79B-1CED183267FF.jpeg

42F8B0F8-DDCE-40DA-B31C-AC2D4DCA84AD.jpeg

85FF17AA-7D82-4E9E-8458-5942AFA8D5AD.jpeg

• Like 3