SAU Community

E gate vs conventional gate

Well my build is progressing and I need to decide on wastegate. I really wanted to fit an E gate but am not sure, who has used them and how do they perform? 
on paper they should be amazing but can’t find much on real world results, other then catastrophic failures. 

Plenty of them in OEM applications, primary value to the OEMs is to be able to open the wastegate completely during cold start to warm up the catalytic converters much faster. That and they can fully close off the wastegate at WOT to help maintain boost at high RPMs for small turbos. HKS has also put them on their "advanced heritage engine concept": 

image.thumb.png.5c1b5b72eeabc9410e7fba0512f01ace.png

New WRX is electronic gate now also.

Geez they're expensive at $1300 - $1600 for the 45mm to 60mm Turbosmart ones without controller, which is another $800 !

I'd be giving this a big miss - they draw 20A too !

On 3/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, joshuaho96 said:

primary value to the OEMs is to be able to open the wastegate completely during cold start to warm up the catalytic converters much faster.

Hard to see how that is true. It's not as if the turbine stops the flow and it's not as if the engine (should) be getting thrashed until it is a little warm anyway, so the turbine shouldn't even extract much/any energy from the exhaust, apart from that required to heat up the housing. If heating up the housing is critical cf the heating rate of the catalyst, then....f**k!

The biggest benefit to the OEM in the immediate post cold start period might be just to enforce "no boost for you" until the engine is warm enough for it.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, GTSBoy said:

Hard to see how that is true. It's not as if the turbine stops the flow and it's not as if the engine (should) be getting thrashed until it is a little warm anyway, so the turbine shouldn't even extract much/any energy from the exhaust, apart from that required to heat up the housing. If heating up the housing is critical cf the heating rate of the catalyst, then....f**k!

The biggest benefit to the OEM in the immediate post cold start period might be just to enforce "no boost for you" until the engine is warm enough for it.

I think it's partially to make sure you can't get into boost, but also to try and reduce how much thermal energy the turbine absorbs. This is only for the first minute of operation or so, even the transient effect of the exhaust hitting a cold turbine probably has a measurable effect on how fast they heat up the catalytic converters. Modern emissions is pretty wild and it seems with Euro 7 it's going to get even crazier unless they hit the brakes on how crazy they want that to get. Supposedly the regulators are thinking about mandating live emissions monitoring and reporting to central authorities in addition to another massive cut in emissions over Euro 6d.

They should just reconsider how hard they make it for ICE to meet emissions targets in a market environment where ICE is getting killed off in favour of EV for various other reasons anyway. No reason to use emissions as a lever when there are plenty of other levers, and no reason to make emissions limits really tight when the number of ICE vehicles will fall, which will have a much bigger effect than trimming the last 1% off the NOx/CO/HC emissions.

On 25/3/2022 at 9:13 PM, Predator1 said:

I thought about it with my build, but the sheer size of those f**kers put me off it.

I guess space would be another issue, I’ve been told the reaction time of opening and closing is slow compared to a traditional gate. 
I just like the idea of being able to control the gate, could be used to take out some of the aggression on the power delivery through the midrange. 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:20 PM, Old man 32 GTR said:

I guess space would be another issue, I’ve been told the reaction time of opening and closing is slow compared to a traditional gate. 
I just like the idea of being able to control the gate, could be used to take out some of the aggression on the power delivery through the midrange. 

4 port mac valve and a proper 3d wastegate duty cycle map, can go further with additional 4 & 5D depending how many other considerations you want like wheel speed and TPS

At the moment probably best to stick with traditional wastegate as it works.

• Like 1

On 26/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

4 port mac valve and a proper 3d wastegate duty cycle map, can go further with additional 4 & 5D depending how many other considerations you want like wheel speed and TPS

At the moment probably best to stick with traditional wastegate as it works.

Think I will be, but I’m going to get my loom made with provisions for an E gate