SAU Community

RB26 Block cracked under intake manifold

Ah shit man, that sucks.  I really feel for you.  Car ownership can be such a bloody painful experience at times!  The highs are high but damn the lows are low......

I'd be guessing at cracked cylinder based on what you're saying.  MLS head gaskets are pretty good (provided block and head are  prepped perfectly) up until big power runs/massive boost so if it's happening at idle in the shed most likely block.

Please let us know how you go and then a rough time frame until your Bullet Billet RB30 block turns up! 😝

Nissan RB30 Billet Block – Bullet Race Engineering

• Like 2

Not sure if you've read this thread

The Nissan gods will hate me, but....meh, no love lost there

Probably alot cheaper than a billet RB, and parts fall out of the sky where you live

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 4:06 PM, r32-25t said:

Good luck getting the front diff on the bottom of an LS

The adventra has a diff under an LS. That's likely  not helpful at all in a skyline though.

After some thorough inspection we cannot find anything at all wrong with the head or block. how ever we did find an area of the tomei head gasket that looked complete blown out. ive done many never had an issue but this car seems to bring out the worst in eveyone so maybe i pooched it. throwing another head gasket in and trying it. thanks for the help and support. cheers

• Like 1

The block was cracked on outside right from the start I don’t think the prp brace could help it was to late. Thet cracked is fixed with jb weld. And here’s a photo of what I think is the blow out in the head gasket. Can even see little burn marks. I compared it to the gasket I knew was good when I pulled this motor apart the first time to fix the valve guide that was leaking and the old head gasket doesn’t show the same signs as blow out...

00FE92C2-D192-4094-950E-699D4195649F.jpeg

ECFBBD56-8A3E-445C-84B2-B287185700DB.jpeg

8C0274A7-A0F6-4003-9C99-E0B02CA16CAB.jpeg

On 09/04/2022 at 4:23 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Time to find an AWD Stagea block, unicorn they reckon.

Or 2JZ swap, 500kW at the wheels stock motor on stock studs lol.

I sware by the stock motor buddy, the motor before this built one was a stock beast! It was killed by a triple plate clutch or I guarantee it would be still going.  Found this little guy too today...like gtsboy said it’s probably gunna crack on the other side....already was lol. I don’t feel I should continue with this block as my pistons and everything else are still good and could go in a new block. I can get a brand new block for 3600 Canadian dollars from boost factory here in Calgary.

299EEC40-B591-44F3-850A-F60BDBD22844.jpeg

• Like 1

I say this with a good Attitude, I love my car it’s an absolute animal and it handles great but damn the rb26 just doesn’t have the meat it needs to be strong and other than the sound and the power they “can” make I struggle with the fact of how thin they are. Compare it to a 5.9 Cummins it’s just hilarious haha I know it’s apples and oranges but the theory of overkill to me is awesome. Anyway cheers for everyone’s help throughout. I will be back just need to make a solid plan. More attention to detail on the next what ever that’s for sure.

Edited by MoMnDadGTR

I have weird luck because I have an sti at 500hp stock motor that I just can’t kill. All my stock rb26 lives well at 500whp. The moment I ever build a motor they always break Haha. I should stick to tree cutting lol. This block snapped at 22psi that’s a joke to me. The rb let me down bad this time.

On 09/04/2022 at 6:14 PM, Duncan said:

Yep sadly that block is for the bin.

Is the crack near the stud adjacent to the head gasket failure?

Did you replace or reuse the head studs?

How confident are you the crack was not there prior to this build?

I think the crack could of been there before yes Duncan. And no the crack is near the middle on exhaust side on the deck. I bet I could run it but it wouldn’t last. I used new studs and gasket 

If I was rich I would send it and see what it could handle, but my heads still good so I’m going to be smart while im ahead. Behind....but ahead. When your oil looks like a toilet bowl at a cheap motel. Lol

B94F87A7-82D4-4ACE-862C-663D1EE4E8E0.jpeg

Edited by MoMnDadGTR
  • Like 1

Cracking around the head bolt holes is common, it’s why I had to throw my block away. I ended up going billet because they fixed all of the rb26 problems and hopefully future proofed for life 

On 09/04/2022 at 6:27 PM, r32-25t said:

Cracking around the he’d bolt holes is common, it’s why I had to throw my block away. I ended up going billet because they fixed all of the rb26 problems and hopefully future proofed for life 

this is all fine and dandy but a little out of the budget i was thinking rb30 run it at 650whp call it a day. can get them from prp with a  brace for a decent price...

Platinum Racing Products - Platinum Prepped RB30 Block