SAU Community

My R34 GTT Auto, various questions.

R34 GTT Auto Nistune daughterboard. Based in South East Qld.

Found a broken CAS sensor while doing the timing belt. Looking at moving the car forward with an aftermarket trigger kit instead of using an OEM unit. Either PRP or Ross.

So where I'm at atm, Haltech said run their ECU in parallel. But I feel like the factory ECU will still need engine speed from a factory CAS to run the auto transmission. Incase you didn't know, the Haltech website says manual only because they don't do off the shelf auto harnesses. They can be made though.

Had a quick chat to the Hoff and he came to the same conclusion. 

I wish Nistune had a phone number listed so I could ask if they can support modern hall effect input. Then I wouldn't need to change ECU. Most of the workshop contact numbers on the Nistune website don't ring through. Nistune still looks like their open for business because they have recent covid info on their site. I've sent them an email. Also need to speak to PRP at some stage for their input.

Kinda looking at a Ross balancer anyway. The original balancer is looking worn. Also, balancer bolt? ARP wouldn't sell Ross the bolt to include with their balancers, so they're still looking for a quality bolt to include, and so am I. 

The water pump in the timing kit wasn't the same either, I went for the round hole listing from Golby's. Should I have gotten the slotted one?

I also think the timing kit should include a new tensioner spring. I didn't think to look for a new one and the original feels a bit soft imo.

May have to find an aftermarket trans controller or something. Still researching. If anyone has some info I'd love to hear it.

PXL_20220410_111358003.jpg

16496474772407397916085823409207.jpg

Edited by Draimond
Rephrase

Heres an alternate to the other trigger kits and many of us are using it with great success and is 1/4 the price
https://www.nzwiring.com/index.php/product/trigger-kit/

Nistune does not support other Trigger setups

Haltech elite can control automatic gearbox now already A340 & GM box support. Setup as a generic auto gearbox. Will need a patch/custom loom made & setup will need some testing.

Or buy aftermarket controller but haltech would be the go with a 2500 and do drive by wire and setup cruise control too

Edited by robbo_rb180
  • Like 1

Thankyou.

What a headache it's been, it only took me a solid day of phone calls and emails to come to the same conclusion. 

From what I gathered it would be cheaper to do a basic engine rebuild and get the oil system upgraded than to get aftermarket inputs and sensor working. 

Even if you go to an aftermarket crank trigger you can still use the factory cam signal. Unlike the aftermarket solutions the OEM cam signal has one tooth for each cylinder and the width of each tooth is different so the ECU can tell exactly which cylinder just hit TDC. The utility of this is probably a little questionable when all you really need is one tooth to indicate that the cam has reset but I'm sure Nissan engineers would never overdesign something for questionable benefit.

> Nistune had a phone number listed so I could ask if they can support modern hall effect input.

We used to list our phone number, but got bombarded with various unrelated technical enquiries so never got any actual work done. Plus I work for PCMTEC these days too. 

We have a contact page, And responded to your query within the same day. OEM ECUs only use OEM sensors. Hall effect require completely different electronics to support them.