SAU Community

Wanting to buy a JDM car in the future but there is a couple of issues

Hey all,

So I want to buy something like an r33 or a Silvia in the future, though I had some questions and needed your thoughts on some stuff:

Driving manual - I've only driven manual a handful of times in my old Silvia and it's been 2 years roughly since I've driven it, if I've got no one to go with me, do you think it's a bad idea if I get the owner to do the test drive given that he does the tests that I ask him to do, like for example shifting at high rpm to make sure there is no gearbox crunches? I was thinking of getting a couple of manual lessons again if i decide to test drive it.

The paperwork & paying them - When it comes to paying them, cash will be too much so I'd rather go to the bank and transfer them the money. I was worried about it getting stolen or some crap after signing the paper work, should I get them to bring the car to the bank with me and we sign the paperwork in the bank after me transferring them money onto their account? I'm worried about potentially getting screwed over. Also when it comes to the paper work, from memory i sign one half, they sign the other, and i keep one half. is this correct?

There is no replacement for actually driving it yourself and feeling how the shift feels in your hands. I can make a gearbox on its last legs seem fine by shifting gently and double clutching. Shift just a little faster and it'll grind.

Usually in a private party transaction the easiest way to do it is at a bank yes. They bring car + anything else. Verify that they didn't forget anything that was part of the deal. Walk into the bank, do a bank transfer using a cashier's check or similar. Do the paperwork on the sale, make sure to not screw it up on either side as many of these documents are void from any strikethroughs. I'm in the US though so I can't speak to the specifics in your region.

These days you can also do instant payment from most banks through phone app in OSKO. When we sold the LEAF we just had them pay that way, checked we received it in our app and gave them the keys. Just need to watch out for daily payment limits.

Re paperwork, your location is not in your profile so it's hard to guess. In NSW you give them the rego papers and can submit the notice of disposal online

On 28/04/2022 at 9:23 AM, Duncan said:

These days you can also do instant payment from most banks through phone app in OSKO

OSKO seems to sometimes hold payments for 24 hours (at varying amounts), there might be a bank algorithm that does a risk assessment and challenges you with a 24 hour hold period.

I've had payments go through instantly and at times small amount being held for 24 hours before they're released to the recipient. 

I've always done a bank cheque plus cash top up.  So if you are buying a $25K vehicle....I take $20K in a bank cheque and the rest in cash cos I'll negotiate the last $5K and might only end up paying $23K or something. 

But I'm old school.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, Duncan said:

These days you can also do instant payment from most banks through phone app in OSKO. When we sold the LEAF we just had them pay that way, checked we received it in our app and gave them the keys. Just need to watch out for daily payment limits.

Re paperwork, your location is not in your profile so it's hard to guess. In NSW you give them the rego papers and can submit the notice of disposal online

Yeah I'm in NSW.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Just buy mine when you're ready, everyone on SAU knows me and the entire history (and my house renovations) are in my build thread LOL.

Happy for bank transfer at the bank, and then keys/paperwork, etc. all done in the branch.

Thanks for that. Just curious what car you got? Seems like a skyline of sorts? you have some rb25det threads. Feel free to DM me a pick or two then once I'm ready I'll ask more questions. Don't want to ask you too many questions so I don't waste your time if I change my mind.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 10:30 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Enjoy the read there's a few years worth of stuff

1681707510_PXL_20220304_2222202482.jpg.3

@Dose Pipe Sutututu it does look better than an M3 😜

Ah thought it might be the purple one so you're selling the silver one to? I love r33's with the gtr spoiler, the silver one looks sexy. The purple would probs look even better if it had it + the gtr front bumper

Edited by silviaz

On 29/4/2022 at 8:45 AM, silviaz said:

Ah thought it might be the purple one so you're selling the silver one to? I love r33's with the gtr spoiler, the silver one looks sexy. The purple would probs look even better if it had it + the gtr front bumper

It’s the same car.

I would too, tbh. It (and mine) is a realistic and thorough viewpoint on Skyline ownership. There's nothing hidden and I think it's far more realistic to understand what you get into.

"Good" skylines never start out that way. Pretty much no tuner car ever does. You spend $X to get the thing, and then $X x2 or 3 in R&D and really finding out what you want to do with it.

However the view that's always been out there, is you get the end result for the initial price. Not so. Uh, unless you  buy a completed project.

• Like 1

Man, Johnny's new excellently fastidious paint job is a good $15k+!

Most muppets selling Skylines aren't going to that much effort - best 33 gtst on the market in my opinion !

In reality though I don't want you to sell it to stay attached to the insanity that is R chassis ownership - keep it real, not euro trash !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1