SAU Community

Wanting to buy a JDM car in the future but there is a couple of issues

On 27/04/2022 at 10:36 PM, silviaz said:

Driving manual - I've only driven manual a handful of times in my old Silvia and it's been 2 years roughly since I've driven it, if I've got no one to go with me, do you think it's a bad idea if I get the owner to do the test drive given that he does the tests that I ask him to do, like for example shifting at high rpm to make sure there is no gearbox crunches? I was thinking of getting a couple of manual lessons again if i decide to test drive it.

Some thoughts on this.

a) I'd say it depends. Talk to the owner and gauge what they are like. Even though the internet says so not everyone is out there trying to rip you off. I bought my Stagea without having driven it myself and only having been a passenger. Do I regret it? No. Would I do it again? Probably also no. In my case the owner was a great guy, he knew his stuff and was super straightforward about any issues with the car. And he clearly cared at least as much as I do. Borderline OCD, really.

b) Definitely take those driving lessons!

c) If you don't feel comfortable to test drive yourself and don't have anyone to do it, I would consider helping out. Within reason of course. Feel free to get in touch at the time :)

d) If you buy @Dose Pipe Sutututu's Skyline you'll be morally obliged to start a build thread of your own. And keep everyone updated on what is happening with the car. Possibly also updates on what you do with your house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, niZmO_Man said:

The thing, is, JDM 90's cars used to be $10k mark, aka cheap and good performance. Now, you need at least 30k buy in, not worth it.

Yes and no - What else out there exists that feels the same, and isn't watered down my modernity which surely crossed a threshhold somewhere.

The big contender would be the new 86 when IT depreciates, or a V8 mustang when IT depreciates, or a GRY when IT depreciates but having done the math on those extensively, they all require (or one could easily spend) another 30K+ ontop of the purchase price to really get track ready with all the stuff I'd want to do with them.

Even a 30k amazing base car with 30k of mods is going to be a better experience for a 'drivers car that can go to the track reliably' than a car that is base 60k now in 2022. The gap is closer but it's still not close. 

It's not like a base R33 is 30K and a Lotus Exige S is 35K etc.

• Like 4

On 30/04/2022 at 8:54 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Why is nearly everyone on this JDM bias forum saying this? 😭

I'm triggered, I am obviously Bogan bias

You will be hearing from my lawyers

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:49 AM, soviet_merlin said:

Some thoughts on this.

a) I'd say it depends. Talk to the owner and gauge what they are like. Even though the internet says so not everyone is out there trying to rip you off. I bought my Stagea without having driven it myself and only having been a passenger. Do I regret it? No. Would I do it again? Probably also no. In my case the owner was a great guy, he knew his stuff and was super straightforward about any issues with the car. And he clearly cared at least as much as I do. Borderline OCD, really.

b) Definitely take those driving lessons!

c) If you don't feel comfortable to test drive yourself and don't have anyone to do it, I would consider helping out. Within reason of course. Feel free to get in touch at the time :)

d) If you buy @Dose Pipe Sutututu's Skyline you'll be morally obliged to start a build thread of your own. And keep everyone updated on what is happening with the car. Possibly also updates on what you do with your house.

Thanks mate. I'd be more than happy to do D haha. Now just hope I don't get screwed over lol. I did have the idea of taking it to a track. The guilt would eat me alive if I were to crash someone elses car lol. 

On 01/05/2022 at 4:34 PM, silviaz said:

It got repainted?

Rebuilt with good gear and a proper respray

Read the whole tread

It will also be handy if your renovating your house

And don't be put off by him calling it a shitbox, it is far from a shit box

Shit box, boat, peice of 5hit, money pit, are all terms used by owners of modified cars.......or is thst just me

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, mlr said:

Rebuilt with good gear and a proper respray

Read the whole tread

It will also be handy if your renovating your house

And don't be put off by him calling it a shitbox, it is far from a shit box

Shit box, boat, peice of 5hit, money pit, are all terms used by owners of modified cars.......or is thst just me

lol

On 01/05/2022 at 8:29 PM, mlr said:

You forgot croc of shit in that list.

Yesterday I started it, drove it out in the sun, looked at it and said to it "fking croc of shit" and reversed it back in and back on the CTEK.

Did enable VCT at idle, has a GT-R idle now 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/05/2022 at 9:46 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Yesterday I started it, drove it out in the sun, looked at it and reversed it back in and back on the CTEK.

Thats the trouble with making something too perfect.......you never want to ever loose that 'look'.

• Like 1

Just wondering, if they are with a different bank, it might take a few days for money to go to their account, do they usually want to wait until that money is in their account or does the bank just give them a receipt? Also with the papers, correct me if I'm wrong but there is only 1 paper they need to give me which is the rego paper?

On 5/4/2022 at 8:32 AM, silviaz said:

receipt?

This. Proof of a transaction that they were standing right there whilst it happened is proof of a transfer that happened while they were standing there.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:32 AM, silviaz said:

there is only 1 paper they need to give me which is the rego paper?

Well, yes. Presuming that you have done your pre-work and know that there is no outstanding finance on the car, or if there is, that you know that it will be cleared after you pay and possession changes. And also presuming that it's not on a WOVR or wanted by the police for ram-raiding, etc etc. The rego transfer slip is filled out by the owner and handed to you, then you all go about your business. You go to the Bureau of Useless Kents and transfer rego to you.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:18 AM, GTSBoy said:

This. Proof of a transaction that they were standing right there whilst it happened is proof of a transfer that happened while they were standing there.

Well, yes. Presuming that you have done your pre-work and know that there is no outstanding finance on the car, or if there is, that you know that it will be cleared after you pay and possession changes. And also presuming that it's not on a WOVR or wanted by the police for ram-raiding, etc etc. The rego transfer slip is filled out by the owner and handed to you, then you all go about your business. You go to the Bureau of Useless Kents and transfer rego to you.

ah ok thought so, cheers. I just was thinking about insurance and did one quote and they couldn't give me one, fml. I tried shannons a while back and they are complete rip off, wanted a few thousand dollars to insure a silvia s15 turbo. Unless i get 3rd party but not worth it probably for a 30k+ car if its NA silvia for example

Edited by silviaz

On 5/4/2022 at 11:48 AM, silviaz said:

ah ok thought so, cheers. I just was thinking about insurance and did one quote and they couldn't give me one, fml. I tried shannons a while back and they are complete rip off, wanted a few thousand dollars to insure a silvia s15 turbo. Unless i get 3rd party but not worth it probably for a 30k+ car if its NA silvia for example

Insurance on a modified import is ridiculous.
I was quoted almost $1500 a year and driving maybe once a fortnight, car stored in a shed behind a fence. I just didn't insure my sil80 anymore as I didn't drive it in peak hours and only to a few certain places.
Some companies also won't insure modified vehicles for just 3rd party too. 

On 5/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Insurance on a modified import is ridiculous.
I was quoted almost $1500 a year and driving maybe once a fortnight, car stored in a shed behind a fence. I just didn't insure my sil80 anymore as I didn't drive it in peak hours and only to a few certain places.
Some companies also won't insure modified vehicles for just 3rd party too. 

You were lucky, i got quoted over over 6k lol.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:19 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

My shit box is with Enthusiast for $50k at $1.6k, 8000km max travel a year. 

8000km per year LOL.. I've done like 400km this year so far, still 7600km to go!

Enthusiast online wouldn't even give me a quote!