SAU Community

Reparing my r34 after crash - Pod filter

Hi, I recently crashed my r34 GT into a kurb then tree sadly. 

Ive done all the mechanical myself ( making it driveable for the panel shop ) and will be getting it back within the next week or 2

The bottom half of the air intake box was completely smahed up ( The MAF unit and everything above is undamaged ) 

I have purchased what I am hoping ( but am unsure )  are the right parts ( K-N universal pod filter + Maf unit adapter )  as to make the pod filter work so my whole intake is back up and running as a whole . As Im a 1st year apprentice mechanic with nissan so the knowledge isnt there just yet so any help is appreciated. 

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Spare-Parts/Filters/Air-Filters/K%26N-UNIVERSAL-POD-FILTER/p/PE45411 - POD Filter 

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-our-Full-Ranges-by-Brand-|-Autobarn/TFI-Racing/TFI-Racing-Filter-Adaptor-Compatible-with-Nissan-Toyota---9096-/p/PE01742 - Adatper ( There was an r34 specific adapter on another site for the same price however they wanted to charge 60$ for shipping and I cant afford that with the body shop repair costs haha and it would be pretty easy to take back to autobarn if the adapter doesnt fit  ) 

IN terms of performance and heat should  I be worried or should I do anything else in order for everything to be back to how it was?

Do i need to get a heat shield for the pod filter 

Do I need to get it tuned professionally ? 

I have a rb25de 

Thank you ! 

This isn't the fun answer, but the stock airbox and snorkel will outperform a pod filter that is naked in the engine bay on a naturally aspirated car, if you can source that I would be sourcing that. That performs as a pretty good cold air intake, and I do not think you will be having vaccum under full throttle with a RB25DE to necessitate a larger intake system at all.

Yes I know it got smashed up, but I'd just be on the lookout for a stock NA Airbox/Snorkel combination while the car is being fixed up panel wise. It'll work, and it WILL fit.

On 14/05/2022 at 1:36 PM, Kinkstaah said:

This isn't the fun answer, but the stock airbox and snorkel will outperform a pod filter that is naked in the engine bay on a naturally aspirated car, if you can source that I would be sourcing that. That performs as a pretty good cold air intake, and I do not think you will be having vaccum under full throttle with a RB25DE to necessitate a larger intake system at all.

Yes I know it got smashed up, but I'd just be on the lookout for a stock NA Airbox/Snorkel combination while the car is being fixed up panel wise. It'll work, and it WILL fit.

ah what a shame then. Guess ill keep my eye out and will just use the pod filter until I find a suitble replcement 

Theres an ex welder at my garage who offered to size up and cut a custom heat resistent sheet metal box sorta thing to keep it hidden. Im thinking if he can do that then I shoullllddd be ok depending on where air is let in through the front. IM not to sure tho

Im also kind of considering running some pipping with pod filter  from the intake manifold down to the bottom left of the bumper wheres theres an open bumper vent for clean fresh air  however I havent had the car back in almost 2 weeks now and havent had a chance since thinking of this to go in and see if there would be room to fit a 3 inch pipe down through/around the ac and radiator area sorta thing 

What would you say about that ? 

Thanks for your help man 

On 5/15/2022 at 2:59 PM, MarcusH said:

Im also kind of considering running some pipping with pod filter  from the intake manifold down to the bottom left of the bumper wheres theres an open bumper vent for clean fresh air  however I havent had the car back in almost 2 weeks now and havent had a chance since thinking of this to go in and see if there would be room to fit a 3 inch pipe down through/around the ac and radiator area sorta thing 

What would you say about that ? 

I have done this, and made a custom airbox with two pipes that run down through the (turbo) stock intercooler holes that are in that section, to duct air from the opening in the front bumper. It works really, really, really well.

The reason it works well is I noticed how hot my intake air temperatures actually were with a naked pod filter in the engine bay, but because my car has a V8 in the front of it, I could not use the stock snorkel system so I had to make up a box and duct it etc, the details are in the most recent posts (ish) in my build thread in my profile/signature.

That said, I have a LS in the engine bay as mentioned. You don't. I actually needed the system to draw more air and that air to be 10C on a 10C day, and not 40C on a 10C day, and I can get benefits from a 4in pipe and big intake manifold.

The RB25... just doesn't. The reason it doesn't is because the intake system/airbox is sufficient for any amount of air that the RB25 is going to draw into itself. I would be surprised if the RB25 isn't at 100KPA at full throttle at 7000RPM on the stock system.

• 11 months later...

if your a 1st year at nissan why wouldn't you ask the techs, most have probably owned a nissan import. yes you need a pod adaptor, you need a 3" pod filter, you need a bracket most fit around the pod hose clamp, probably would not hurt to shield the pod as the cops might defect you.