SAU Community

New car 400Z

Just put a deposit down on a new 400Z. Won’t be here till later this year. Technically it will be the wife’s car, but think I’m going to enjoy it more! 
Plus, I get another car to modify 😁

Ordered one in gun metallic grey, with the 9speed duel clutch box 

5312495F-FA2A-4123-B435-EFEA4033B921.jpeg

• Like 7

On 14/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, Kinkstaah said:

You know it's a slushbox right? Not a DCT?

That said it's probably a pretty decent gearbox for performance use, being a 2023 car and 9 speed 😛

Well you are correct, my mistake for listening to a salesman, did some research, looks like they are using the 9G-Tronic gearbox from Mercedes. That’s a little disappointing, but looks like it’s a good box, from what I could find there is a versions that uses clutch packs and a version that has a torque converter. Couldn’t find any information on what one the 400 is using.

The dealership will have a demonstrator in a month or so, so will be going back to see it in the flesh and take one for a drive before final commitment. 
@Dose Pipe Sutututu please don’t put those ideas in my head! Lol 

I already have enough hair falling out, another RB build and I’ll be completely bald! 😂😂

• Haha 1

On 14/05/2022 at 11:09 PM, Kinkstaah said:

You know it's a slushbox right? Not a DCT?

That said it's probably a pretty decent gearbox for performance use, being a 2023 car and 9 speed 😛

Doesn't the Supra use a slushbox?

The new "slushboxs" aren't the lazy old things like they once were from what I've seen, and they seem to work fine, both in performance and reliability/strength wise

I am happy to be schooled on this

• Like 1

Btw I am all for a decent 9 speed auto, they all lock in gears now and don't slip like the slushboxes of old. As a result they don't feel slushy either.

I'm just saying it's not going to be a race cracking DCT sending shockwaves through the car like it's a GT3 car. Which isn't what you don't want anyway, probably.

The 9G-Tronic doesn't shift lightning fast or anything like that. All modern automatics lock up after something like 9 mph as long as you aren't shifting gears for fuel efficiency reasons. To make it "more direct" some will also lock the torque converter even on decel if it thinks you want engine braking but as far as I can tell most still unlock the TC on decel to reduce drag. If you already have a manual car and you just want something that is less annoying in traffic then it should be fine.

US press embargo lifts about 24 hours from this post, I'm curious to see if SavageGeese likes this one any better than the 370Z which was dumped on by a number of reviewers for a rubbery feel in the controls and other issues.

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Like 2

Hope this part is not true:

"However, the interior was cramped—surprisingly so for someone like myself with my five-foot-nine stature. I must’ve had an inch of headroom at best. During the track portion of the press drive where it was compulsory to wear a helmet, I had to wedge my head under the roof to even fit in the car. Even without a brain bucket, I still felt a bit squeezed inside of the cockpit."

Taken from:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/nissan-s-2023-z-proves-that-design-and-history-overshadow-engineering/ar-AAXkyXh?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b1885017228f4a8bbccd331787e66ce0

On 5/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, tridentt150v said:

Hope this part is not true:

"However, the interior was cramped—surprisingly so for someone like myself with my five-foot-nine stature. I must’ve had an inch of headroom at best. During the track portion of the press drive where it was compulsory to wear a helmet, I had to wedge my head under the roof to even fit in the car. Even without a brain bucket, I still felt a bit squeezed inside of the cockpit."

Taken from:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/nissan-s-2023-z-proves-that-design-and-history-overshadow-engineering/ar-AAXkyXh?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b1885017228f4a8bbccd331787e66ce0

The 370z is the same anyone over 6 foot struggles in mine. Headroom is minimal for them.

The big difference with the interior is the new dash cluster and touch screen. Door cards, switches and centre consoleand A/c controls are from the early pre 2014 Z.

That's the one thing that sold me on my R33, head room and eye level vision out the front screen was very good.

I've sat in other vehicles where you have to permanently shrug your shoulders and your eye level vision takes in half the roof lining.

On 17/05/2022 at 4:40 PM, tridentt150v said:

That's the one thing that sold me on my R33, head room and eye level vision out the front screen was very good.

I've sat in other vehicles where you have to permanently shrug your shoulders and your eye level vision takes in half the roof lining.

R32 for example.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, BK said:

R32 for example.

I'm not sure I follow. I'm 197cm tall and don't have to do anything special to see out of my R32. My head is only mm away from the headlining, sufficient to have a dirty mark there, and I can see under the windscreen rail just fine.

GTR seats are even better than GTSt in that respect (and I'm in GTSt seats, for clarity).

I've just dropped in some Brides on normal baseplate mounts (not the superlows) and put in a little extra effort to make sure that they went in as low as possible (done by omitting some spacers and shortening some fasteners to prevent hitting the bucket) and am now sitting slightly lower than stock seats. Am perfectly happy and wouldn't want to upset the leg position/angle to the pedals etc any more than that anyway.

On 17/05/2022 at 5:43 PM, GTSBoy said:

I'm not sure I follow. I'm 197cm tall and don't have to do anything special to see out of my R32. My head is only mm away from the headlining, sufficient to have a dirty mark there, and I can see under the windscreen rail just fine.

GTR seats are even better than GTSt in that respect (and I'm in GTSt seats, for clarity).

I've just dropped in some Brides on normal baseplate mounts (not the superlows) and put in a little extra effort to make sure that they went in as low as possible (done by omitting some spacers and shortening some fasteners to prevent hitting the bucket) and am now sitting slightly lower than stock seats. Am perfectly happy and wouldn't want to upset the leg position/angle to the pedals etc any more than that anyway.

What Bride seat ?

I'm about 194cm. I have Bride Brix 2 seats on Bride MO superlow rails in the blue 32 GTR which substantially drop the height from normal, and the 32 sucks badly compared to my 33 - I have the seat all the way back too.

I do have a 6 point cage which complicates things further and using a helmet is a fricken nightmare compared to the 33, even before the cage went in the 32.

I'm removing the Bride seats as I hate them.