SAU Community

V36 coupe inspiration

Guys...I need some inspiration, I have a 2008 v36 370gt i not long ago purchased stock and want to make some interior and exterior mods. Show me what you have done to your beasts! Extra points if you live in Sydney and can refer me to websites or places to get some of the stuff. Here's my baby below!.......and go!

20220319_191634.jpg

20220319_191659.jpg

• Like 1

well, thats a shot from the past. That was one of the cars I looked at, when looking to get mine!

1st Thing, strip the ugly %$@# advertising sticker off the rear window!

And the other thing I remembered from viewing that car, fix the dash! and protect it. When I saw it, the top of the dash looked like it was melting due to the level of damage.

I have posted some things I have done or am planning to do to mine, including:

• Mine is black, and I plasti-dipped my front grill gloss black. Check google images, many paint the grill black, but leave the top and bottom bars silver. I think I got my gloss black plasti-dip from Repco
  • I put  carbon fiber vinyl wrap on the rear boot spoiler (find and see thread)
  • I dont remember how the interior door grips were, but mine were sub-par, and so I vinyl wrapped them myself, in carbon fiber (look). PS: I paid something like $10-$20 on ebay for a sheet of Carbon Fiber 4D vinyl warp, and have PLENTY left over.
  • I plan to plasti-dip the rims in Anthracite. Had to buy from ebay, as its not stocked in Aus stores
  • I striped all but the "S K Y L I N E" emblems off the boot lip
  • I had the passenger and drivers doors tinted in the top level carbon-ceramic tint. I got SunCare at Arncliffe. They quoted me cheaper for the top product, than another place did for the lowest product of the same brand. The tint did peel in the bottom corners, but they fixed it, and admitted that they missed a lower guide that lifted the film, low down inside the doors. I got max legal (35% I think) but also got the back sides and rear tinted over with film, as it has such a high UV and IR rating.

Check your PM's

Edited by Vee37
  • Like 1

That's awesome stuff there, currently looking at some new rims as the previous owner somehow gutter rashed all of them! Was looking at getting the long rear black spoiler and dipping the grill as well. I like the carbon vinyl wrap idea....I will look more into that!

• 2 weeks later...

@shirtimus When I viewed the car you got,there was some strange black plastic box stuck to the lower center console. The owners had no idea what it was for, and neither did I.Out of interest, do you know what its for?

169238432_interiorshotred370GT.thumb.jpg.ae018614a93146e5ff2efe23aba7556a.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, V35_Paul said:

May an IR receiver to control aftermarket tv tuner? 

That sounds reasonable. There is also a little LED, which may light up when it gets a signal/instruction

On 6/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, niZmO_Man said:

vape charger?

It didn't have any place in which to insert an electric plug for a cable. The thing that also reminded me was that I saw an image of another car with a similar thing but it was a different size.

I also spelt the owners ( @Shortimus ) name wrong, so he maybe didn't get any notification. Is that how you do it?

Edited by Vee37

Hey all, I think it is a aftermarket reciever however pointless here as it can't be used anyway, I tried to remove but once off looked pretty messy so I've left it for now....contemplating the tesla screen fitments I've seen done in America but still on the fence.

Edited by Shortimus

On 6/5/2022 at 11:22 PM, Shortimus said:

Although was looking into what would be needed to get the tv/DVD working here but most people only know how to do this on the v35

Do you have the AUX inputs in the center glove compartment? On mine, that has Video and audio inputs. Haven't tried the video, but I do all my music from my phone into these audio aux in. I also have an iPod connector, but i'm all android. I assume iPods play video, and DVD's are going out in favor of digital files. There is no more blockbuster, you are heading down the VHS tape path of obsolescence.

Would you actually use a DVD in your car? I set my V35 to display a computer screen in my boot,  but I only used that to push my phone navigation onto the center screen, and music (big thread on it here, somewhere). But even that, I gave up on, as I liked the nav on one screen (my mounted phone) and used the main screen flipping between economy or compass. And the audio from my phone is big time quality, matching the full PC (ViperFX for Android), and has 128GB available for MP3's. I have over 3k of music files, each playing once before the loop starts again.

Have you had the on board/center screen (not the dash console) converted to English? from memory, I think it cost <$200, and was done in a couple of days.

This morning, there was a white car parked on the street below me, with tinted windows, and the roof painted black. I would consider it if my car was white and not already all black. Maybe carbon fiber the roof. Just a crazy idea.

@Vee37nah still have all Japanese throughout the car and my cebter console have the RCA no aux so I just use Bluetooth and phone for navigation. I asked around but for a conversion apparently it's around 1k! 

I like the black roof idea thinking of red and black themes on my car (black rims etc.)

Regarding "the sticky dash" in the V36, I replaced mine a couple of years ago.  I tried Nissan Au.,Just Jap, and Japanese suppliers.

The problem was the Nissan part number's had not been updated. So when I searched for the part number, it came up as xxxxxxxxxA or xxxxxxxxB, both are out of date.  I finally was told by a Japanese part's supplier that C was the special ingredient. Contacted my local Australian Nissan dealer, quoted the part number with C ......... 6 new V36 dashboards instock at Nissan in Melbourne. I paid $1280 including freight to Nissan Tweed Heads NSW. I fitted it myself, took plenty of photos, and took my time, the end result looks brand new again.

The best part was chopping up the old dash, and jamming in the garbage bin.

Also did the English conversion on the centre section, with Australian GPS. Cost $1.5k from Russia 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 8:53 PM, Shortimus said:

@Vee37nah still have all Japanese throughout the car and my cebter console have the RCA no aux so I just use Bluetooth and phone for navigation. I asked around but for a conversion apparently it's around 1k! 

I like the black roof idea thinking of red and black themes on my car (black rims etc.)

I would of thought the RCA IS the AUX input. So it sounds to me that you have AUX audio input, just no video.

I first tried using the Bluetooth for Audio, and it was well below what I want, and so I use the RCA Audio plugs. The bluetooth audio is very poor.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, gillies2001 said:

Regarding "the sticky dash" in the V36, I replaced mine a couple of years ago.  I tried Nissan Au.,Just Jap, and Japanese suppliers.

...snip...

and I hope you have taken the warning and added some protection to your new dash. Unless they have upgraded the material. My V35 's dash was in perfect condition, 5 years older, and I didnt do a thing to protect it.

I suspect that maybe the A,B,C on the part numbers. The G35 dash cracked a lot. The G37 got sticky. The A dash was manufactured too dry. Then the B dash was manufactured too moist to avoid cracking which didn't work, hence the sticky mess.Then C dash hopefully was made with the correct mix of plastics and resins. So, I've decided not to apply too much protection, because maybe the sticky issues were also related to over use of protection products.

Just my thought's on the issues ?

On 6/7/2022 at 9:15 PM, gillies2001 said:

...snip...The G35 dash cracked a lot. The G37 got sticky. ...snip...

Not my experience for the G35. My G35 dash looked like new, and I did nothing to protect it. Not even any wipe-on creams or other products, ever. I remember when I saw the sticky dash on my 370GT and the car I saw before mine. I had a few days overlap in my possession, which just highlighted the absolute perfect condition of my G35 dash even more. From what I have read, they used less environment friendly plastics on the 350 than they did on the 370GT, which were not as UV stable.

Edited by Vee37

I have seen on US forums, that Nissan were replacing faulty dashboards under warranty.

The cracking/sticky dashboards on G35's & G37's was a big issue in the US, according to the forums.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:53 AM, gillies2001 said:

I have seen on US forums, that Nissan were replacing faulty dashboards under warranty.

The cracking/sticky dashboards on G35's & G37's was a big issue in the US, according to the forums.

Maybe my G35 was after the recall, and had the fix included (late 2003), due to G35 complaints from US, OR maybe the original Japanese owner had used the recall to get a better/fixed dash; although I dont think sun damage was much of an issue in Japan. Either way, I am annoyed my 370GT has a dodgy dash, and my 5 year older 350GT was impeccable. I have ordered a dash fix kit to hopefully fix the issue, and also have a custom dash mat to stop it from getting worse now, or happen again in the future, after I use the fix kit. Its in the mail, so no endorsement.

https://stickydashfix.com/

anyone else try the  above? Supercheap have a ceramic single stage fix product, but the reviews are not great.

On 07/06/2022 at 8:43 PM, Vee37 said:

I would of thought the RCA IS the AUX input. So it sounds to me that you have AUX audio input, just no video.

I first tried using the Bluetooth for Audio, and it was well below what I want, and so I use the RCA Audio plugs. The bluetooth audio is very poor.

Also have what looks to be a memory card or video car slot in there? I am going to buy RCA to Aux cable and see if it improves the quality.

Still looking into a whole new centre console idea for the future but first things first will buy some coilovers at tax time and work on some of the main issues pointed out from the report.