SAU Community

R32 GTR battery options

MrStabby

I find that the 370CCA NRMA 2383 batteries don't seem to last very long considering that most of the time the battery is isolated as the car only gets intermittent use. Any suggestions? Is there a good lithium option? Am I just imagining the short life or is 370CCA a bit small?

I suggest the biggest Century battery that fits in the space. I can't remember exactly which one I put in there. I think it's the 430CCA one. I find Century more trustworthy than most other options available in Australia.

I also suggest that you either leave a solar panel charger on it, or a good float charger, if it is really left idle most of the time.

That might be the NS40ZX (410 CCA) which is not listed on Century's website any more. I've sent them a message to ask if its been discontinued. https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/products/car-batteries

The NS40Z is the 330CCA version, which is 'D' polarity (ie positive on the left, and you install it 'backwards') and small post. They still have the NS40ZLX MF ('C' polarity version @ 410 CCA).

There are a few web listings of the NS40ZX around so i'll see if i can find one.

Ended up getting a NS40ZLX after confirming the cables just reach by using an old NS40ZL from the Stagea. The bonnet is still well clear of the positive terminal, so only slightly ghetto.

Do what Gtsboy suggested though...keep the battery on a trickle charge.  I use an Oddyssey PC925MJT in my R33 and it also [these days] gets intermittent use.  But - so far - my battery has lasted 5 years cos its always hooked up to a solar panel and PR1210L regulator.  I also wired in a blocking diode to stop night time discharge.  I have a plug I use under the car and so every time I park it, I plug the solar lead into the car.  The panel doesn't have to be a big one, a 5 to 10 watt unit will easily do the job.  I use the same type of setup on my bikes, my excavator, and my mini dumper.  The dumper has a Lister 2 cylinder diesel motor which has no alternator or generator so the solar setup was almost essential.

Before I did this, I was going through batteries every 12 to 18 months.

I have a battery isolator as well, but a battery just sitting there slowly fades away, esp. in the cooler months.

What happens is the battery plates calcify, this then stops the chemical reaction needed for effective charging and recharging.

By trickle charging you stop plate calcification.

• Like 1

This is why everyone who has one of these hardly driven cars should have a ctek mxs 5.0

I have 4 of them - only thing I'll trust to keep on charge for months on end.

• Like 1

I would recommend Panasonic OEM style batteries for any Nissan. Decent prices and three year warranty for private use.

Something like this would fit a R32 and provide decent CCA, the R version should be right polarity too: https://www.everybattery.com.au/online/product/n-60b24rje/

Edited by junkie
Spelling fail
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 8:21 AM, blind_elk said:

Autobarn has a Supercharge brand, which has a NS40 equiv (MF40B20L), at 390 CCA.

Two things:

1. I have had two Supercharge batteries in the GT-R and they have not lasted very long

2. Is there a rule of thumb regarding how long a battery should be on a trickle charger? Maybe, possibly related to point #1.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:39 PM, Robzilla32 said:

2. Is there a rule of thumb regarding how long a battery should be on a trickle charger? Maybe, possibly related to point #1.

I've bought a ctek mxs 5.0 (mentioned by BK above, $129 delivered from ebay) and the instruction video says you can leave it connected for extended periods of time. So, refer to vendor doco, but as trident says seems like any good one should be able to be left connected indefinitely.