SAU Community

R33 GT-R installation of bumper mesh

I would need some help to install the factory bumper mesh back into the factory bumper of an R33 GT-R.

I can't seem to figure out how to install the top of the mesh. Does the upper part belong on the inside or outside of the bumper?

Help, preferable with pictures would be greatly appreciated. image.gif.99940317c684bb0568e3701129861841.gif😀

The mesh definitely goes inside the bumper. I don't know how the 33 one is attached but in the 32 the mesh is held by clips which go behind the mesh, biting into plastic teeth that are moulded into the bumper. After 30+ years those teeth may be gone and you'll have to use cable ties like everyone else...

Yes but what about the upper part? There's one metal clip where a bolt goes through that needs to be attached there. And than there's 3 bolts going through the bumper onto bumper bar (chassis) which is combined with the number plate holder.

https://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/bcnr33/3934-rb26dett/body/620/?full=620-_002

So really not sure anymore of the top of the mesh needs to be on the inside or outside of the bumper.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, gibsonneke said:

Yes but what about the upper part? There's one metal clip where a bolt goes through that needs to be attached there. And than there's 3 bolts going through the bumper onto bumper bar (chassis) which is combined with the number plate holder.

https://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/bcnr33/3934-rb26dett/body/620/?full=620-_002

So really not sure anymore of the top of the mesh needs to be on the inside or outside of the bumper.

I pulled the metal clip you're describing up and over the middle bolt that goes through the license plate and into the bumper. Seems to work ok.

On 06/08/2022 at 2:06 AM, joshuaho96 said:

I pulled the metal clip you're describing up and over the middle bolt that goes through the license plate and into the bumper. Seems to work ok.

Hmmmm, doesn't make much sense in my head. So the mesh is actually between the license plate holder and bumper or in between the bumper and bumper support? Do you have a picture?

On 8/6/2022 at 3:48 AM, gibsonneke said:

Hmmmm, doesn't make much sense in my head. So the mesh is actually between the license plate holder and bumper or in between the bumper and bumper support? Do you have a picture?

I don’t know how it’s actually set up from the factory. My license plate holder was missing when imported. My middle license plate bolt is broken off inside the bumper. The usual old car problems. The mesh is fully behind the bumper, and the top clip I hooked it over the end of the middle bolt, if someone actually knows how it’s supposed to be from the factory I’d like to know.

6038AC62-10A9-4D9B-8975-9D31DF739617.thumb.jpeg.5e878bec68f0f44d9598512c8c38ba5d.jpeg